• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Bring back the test card.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has the OP called it ITV Daybreak? It is also shown on all three broadcasters on the Channel 3 network - UTV and STV too.

Probably because to 90%+ of the UK ITV is the third channel after BBC1 and BBC2, most will not be aware that ITV is any different in Scotland and just shows old BBC documentaries and old travel films:=) I would not be surprised if some of them turned on their TVs in hotels and B&Bs over the Summer to watch their favourite ITV programme and wondered why an old film on haggis hunting was on "ITV".
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv is still used as the collective name for the channel 3 network, STV would like to use the channel 3 name for the network to distance itself from itv plc, but itv plc paid STV and UTV for the use of the itv name.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we only had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV it was never called Channel 3 but ITV (or on some sets ITA)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    When we only had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV it was never called Channel 3 but ITV (or on some sets ITA)

It was quite often called by the channel number transmitted in a particular area, so I think it would be known as Channel 9 in Granadaland (if my memory serves me correctly).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It was quite often called by the channel number transmitted in a particular area, so I think it would be known as Channel 9 in Granadaland (if my memory serves me correctly).

You are referring to the old VHF channels - Winter Hill was 9 and Emley Moor 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are referring to the old VHF channels - Winter Hill was 9 and Emley Moor 10.

As I wrote, but ITV was known as Channel 9 in Granadaland.
  • Options
    BillKayBillKay Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Why has the OP called it ITV Daybreak? It is also shown on all three broadcasters on the Channel 3 network - UTV and STV too.

Well, it is a separate franchise. Strictly speaking STV & UTV do not start broadcasting until 9.25am so the breakfast franchisee (ITV) can call the service whatever it likes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillKay wrote: »
    Well, it is a separate franchise. Strictly speaking STV & UTV do not start broadcasting until 9.25am so the breakfast franchisee (ITV) can call the service whatever it likes.

But is there actually a separate Breakfast franchise now ITV plc has taken over what was GMTV. Surely it's the same company ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But is there actually a separate Breakfast franchise now ITV plc has taken over what was GMTV. Surely it's the same company ?

same company, different franchise like London Technically is still 2 franchises but operated as one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tyne Tees called themselves "Channel 3 for the North East" in the late 90's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillKay wrote: »

But didn't STV drop that bingo nonsense as they weren't making any money from it.

What's to stop STV and UTV from having their own programme?

I am sure that STV still own their own airspace from 6am?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But didn't STV drop that bingo nonsense as they weren't making any money from it.

What's to stop STV and UTV from having their own programme?

I am sure that STV still own their own airspace from 6am?

No, the Breakfast franchise is a separate, national broadcaster. STV, UTV, Channel (and the ITV PLC regions) can only start broadcasting from 9:25am. They can't drop the Breakfast franchise as it isn't their airtime.

When ITV held the F1 rights, they had a lot of trouble showing weekend morning races due to GMTV, even though they owned the majority of it. They had to compensate GMTV or give it airtime for its weekend cartoons elsewhere in the schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the Breakfast franchise is a separate, national broadcaster. STV, UTV, Channel (and the ITV PLC regions) can only start broadcasting from 9:25am. They can't drop the Breakfast franchise as it isn't their airtime.

When ITV held the F1 rights, they had a lot of trouble showing weekend morning races due to GMTV, even though they owned the majority of it. They had to compensate GMTV or give it airtime for its weekend cartoons elsewhere in the schedule.

Fair enough. :)

Do STV show their own ads during it though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyne Tees called themselves "Channel 3 for the North East" in the late 90's.

Yorkshire also used the channel 3 name for a while (both were part of Yorkshire-Tyne Tees Television at the time)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough. :)

Do STV show their own ads during it though?

STV have nothing what so ever to do with itv breakfast, they do not even provide local news to them
  • Options
    burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    STV have nothing what so ever to do with itv breakfast, they do not even provide local news to them
    What do their viewers get during the regional news opts? A holding caption and music or London news?
  • Options
    xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it for the first time today... That Dan Lobb is VERY cute hehe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my_login wrote: »
    What do their viewers get during the regional news opts? A holding caption and music or London news?

MacMillan Media supplies local news bulletins for Daybreak in STV/UTV regions.

http://www.macmillanmedia.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacMillan Media supplies local news bulletins for Daybreak in STV/UTV regions.

http://www.macmillanmedia.co.uk/
    Do they do all the regional news throughout the day or just for Daybreak? Did they also do it for GMTV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they do all the regional news throughout the day or just for Daybreak?

Just for Daybreak.
    Did they also do it for GMTV?

Yes, http://www.macmillanmedia.co.uk/GMTV-Regional-News.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't GMTV punish UTV by awarding the local news contract to an outside company because UTV opted out of GMTV one morning to carry a big local story ? I vaguely remember something about that.I believe they then stopped GMTV going through the UTV MCR. Does the same apply with Daybreak ?
  • Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how people are talking about GMTV as if it was high class television that pulled in 5 million viewers every day. It wasn't it barely got anymore than daybreak currently does and it was a show in decline.

Theres barely any difference between daybreak and gmtv, even kate Garraway was presenting it this morning and once Lorraine comes on at 8:30 its exactly like its always been.

Maybe thats the problem, it needs more substance to really have a chance of competing with the bbc.