Hamster problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry if this seems to be a bit of a ramble but we're very worried about our little hamster. He has been curled up in his bed from this afternoon, not moving from one spot not even when stroked. We are seriously worried he's passed away! He's not old, only a few months and was awake this morning doing his usual thing (climbing, eating etc). Does anyone have any advice? Could it just be some sort of hibernation? Didn't think much of it this afternoon due to it being his usual "nap time" but getting pretty concerned now. Thanks in advance.

(posting this in pets and advice for quickest response)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamsters should not hibernate, so if he is you need to wake him up!!! My sisters hamster did it last Winter, twice we thought she was dead (completely still and stone cold)and was close to burying her - turns out she wasn't!

The daft thing is when the poor mite does eventually die my sister won't believe it and we'll probably spend ages rubbing a dead hamster just to be sure...:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to try and rub him now, to be quite honest feel quiet shaky about the thought of picking him up if he is dead :( but thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to warm him up. Wrap him in a towel and hold him close to you, if he's trying to hibernate then he will come round.

Is his cage somewhere quite cold or in a draft?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His cage is in my brothers room, it's normal temp but had the heating on the last few days due to it getting cold. My mum has tried warming him up for the best part of an hour, nothing. Looks like the poor mite has passed away :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Any more news?
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he getting cold? They get cold quite quickly if they die, due to their size. Is his nose still twitching? Is his chest moving.

If he is cold, and none of the things I have mentioned are happening, then he may be passing away/have passed away. Sometimes they don't live very long unfortunately. Could be any number of things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother woke my up this morning saying he had moved but when I went to see him he was still curled up and cold. I think my mum is going to take him to the vets this afternoon but to be honest I don't think there's any point, he's cold and stiff. Thank you all for responding, I know some people don't have much time for small pets that don't live very long.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamsters are lovely pets, we have one too. Hope yours is OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    hey, Our hamster we had last year used too curl up alot when the winter came, i thought that was quite normal for them? He soon wakes up for food and water and a little run when he wants, I looking after my sisters hamster rite now and he seems too be chilling out a bit more since its been cold this week :) Im sure its perfectly normal? Bit like humans we do less when its cold like snuggle up under the blanket :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to say thank you to everyone in Advice and Pets for the advice - little Junior did pass away I'm afraid, it wasn't hibernation but another condition it seems. Couldn't be helped, just one of those sad things :(.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw sorry to hear that Neb, hope you are not too sad ( I know it's hard not to be, was gutted when my rat died), sending warm thoughts your way xxx
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get another one - get him a tube system, if you dont have one - its amazing how they fill the tubes up with their bedding etc.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Just want to say thank you to everyone in Advice and Pets for the advice - little Junior did pass away I'm afraid, it wasn't hibernation but another condition it seems. Couldn't be helped, just one of those sad things :(.

Oh gosh my sympathies; I've been a hamster 'mummy' for many years and losing the little angels never gets any easier. :(

Big hug.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all, I know a few people who don't know what the bother is with small pets but you still love them all the same! And Gemma, we won't get another pet, it's just horrible when they go. We have our two doggies to keep up with anyway!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Thank you all, I know a few people who don't know what the bother is with small pets but you still love them all the same! And Gemma, we won't get another pet, it's just horrible when they go. We have our two doggies to keep up with anyway!

no - dont say that

dying is part of life - a hamster will only live for 2-3 years, and the nice thing is they like their own company

your dogs wont live forever either

dont lock yourself off from pets, just because you lose them eventually
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no - dont say that

dying is part of life - a hamster will only live for 2-3 years, and the nice thing is they like their own company

your dogs wont live forever either

dont lock yourself off from pets, just because you lose them eventually

Yes but we lost a rabbit quite young and this hamster hadn't even reached a year old, old age is one thing but it's just been horrible. Never say never though I guess.