Options

The most hated regional presenter

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    What I like about Granada is they have kept faith with some presenters to give the show some continuity, Lucy, Croney and Fred and been around for years. London goes through presenters like matches.

You raise a very good point there too, especially as all three presenters have been regulars on Granada for over 20 years now, with both Fred and Lucy having appeared nationally at some point too.

Tony Morris gets on my nerves at times, but he and Lucy have chemistry and they do make the show watchable, in comparison to Gordon and Ranvir on the other side. I'm not slagging the BBC crew off or anything, but I thought NWT worked better with Gordon on his own, or with Dianne to say the least.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London goes through presenters like matches.

That's only a recent thing with ITV London. Alistair Stewart only left London Tonight last year after joining the programme at launch in 1993.
  • Options
    zingzing Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he had plenty of co-hosts.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    That's only a recent thing with ITV London. Alistair Stewart only left London Tonight last year after joining the programme at launch in 1993.

That's fair comment.

What on earth were they thinking of with Donal MacIntyre though, I was shocked at how bad he was although in his defence it was one of his first programmes that I watched, he seemed well out of his depth. Did he improve?
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Two classics from me... :D

RANVIR SINGH - BBC North West News

Absolutely the most annoying news presenter you could get. Offers her own opinions after news items which at one time was a big no no. For example serious item on crime..back to studio ... Ranvir "Thats terrible int it"

ENO ERUOTOR - BBC North West Weather

Again, a terrible presenter who is way under qualified for the job. Her presentation is full of mistakes and hickups every time shes on and sound more like a High School Geography report- a bad one at that. Her diction is poor too. "Rain will fall thru de clouds"
    Often wonder how she was chosen to present obviously knowing little about weather and presenting- either that or ethnic quota in force.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You raise a very good point there too, especially as all three presenters have been regulars on Granada for over 20 years now, with both Fred and Lucy having appeared nationally at some point too.

Tony Morris gets on my nerves at times, but he and Lucy have chemistry and they do make the show watchable, in comparison to Gordon and Ranvir on the other side. I'm not slagging the BBC crew off or anything, but I thought NWT worked better with Gordon on his own, or with Dianne to say the least.

I quite like Tony Morris too but he is still a new kid on the block (even though he has presented GR for 7 years, this is Granada after all!)

I will tell you someone I don't really like but I don't even know her name, the weather presenter on NWT with (I think) a north east accent. She is a sarcastic mare sometimes!

I quite like Tony Livesey too if only because he is the scruffiest (occasional) news presenter I have ever seen.

Edit - Dianne Oxberry is the weather presenter
  • Options
    madanglianmadanglian Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a slightly daft thread because most of us can only get one region so we can only compare the BBC and ITV local teams.

If like me you have Freesat, you can watch any BBC region you want, but I would have thought that most people aren't that interested, unless:
    a. they're living in a region which is different to the one they grew up in, and want to find out what's going on in their hometown
    b. they support a football team in a different region
    c. they really can't stand their local presenters.

a. and b. are true in my case as I grew up in the North East and support Newcastle United. I must say as well that IMO Carol Malia is much better than simpering Nick Owen.

Regional TV doesn't really work that well for us in Coventry, because we are too close to the edge of the West Midlands region. So whereas we can find out about everything that's going on in Hereford and Stoke-on-Trent (both nearly 60 miles away), we never hear anything about Hinckley (11 miles away), Daventry (20 miles) or Banbury (30 miles) as they are in three separate regions.

The problem with Look North Yorkshire being dominated by news from Leeds is one which happens in most regions. OK so Birmingham is much bigger than any other city in the West Midlands, so we're kind of used to it, but Scousers always say there's too much about Manchester in Look North NW, Smoggies and Mackems always complain about news from Newcastle, and so on.

The BBC did try a pilot of local (news) TV and split the West Midlands region into 6 local areas, (of which Coventry and Warwickshire was one) but they seem to have abandoned it. Maybe people expect only local radio to have local news?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Croney is a bit quirky but certainly enters the spirt of his reports. What I like about Granada is they have kept faith with some presenters to give the show some continuity, Lucy, Croney and Fred and been around for years. London goes through presenters like matches.

So what's up with Fred then? He is eccentric and totally different to many of the antiseptic weather presenters I have ever seen and that's why many of us like him. Each to their own though.

You clearly have never seen the living legend that is Derek Brockway on BBC Wales Today :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    You clearly have never seen the living legend that is Derek Brockway on BBC Wales Today :eek:

I haven't, what is his particular claim to fame, is he a bit of a card like our Fred?

I will keep an eye out for him as I can get BBC Wales through freeview and freesat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    I haven't, what is his particular claim to fame, is he a bit of a card like our Fred?

I will keep an eye out for him as I can get BBC Wales through freeview and freesat.

Yeah he's just a bit of a character, enjoys a bit of banter with the newsreaders. Quite fun really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like Tony Livesey too if only because he is the scruffiest (occasional) news presenter I have ever seen.

Funny thing is when Tony started on NWT, more complained because he was scruffy rather than the fact the BBC hired the former editor of the Daily Sport.... :cool:

To be fair to Tony he's tidied himself up more and more since he started on NWT.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't STAND him (Fred) !
    "...and what about the weather ? WELL...."
    AAAAARRRRRGGHHH !
    He's just an irritating idiot

Well that's constructive, at least be constructive about why you dislike Fred on the weather! :rolleyes:

Fred is a fantastic character! Last Stalwart left on ITV Regional news after Bob Johnston's retirement on Tyne Tees a couple of years ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that's constructive, at least be constructive about why you dislike Fred on the weather! :rolleyes:

Fred is a fantastic character! Last Stalwart left on ITV Regional news after Bob Johnston's retirement on Tyne Tees a couple of years ago!

Fred is great but ITV Central viewers may well dispute your stalwart point. Bob Warman has been around since 1979 on ATV (which always means Tiswas to me), he presents Central Tonight.

He even did a stint presenting The Price Is Right on Sky, but that is best forgotten!
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I wish we had someone like fred on tyne tees, mad people are so fun to watch! and cheer you right up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I wish we had someone like fred on tyne tees, mad people are so fun to watch! and cheer you right up :)

He does cheer me up, he just has in fact. From his huge 'good morning' to his ending 'temperatures are not high but will be perfecty (pause) ADEQUATE' as he then stoops and smiles at the camera.

He is crackers but when he and the rest of the old school have gone I don't see any point continuing to attribute the news to Granada, it isn't excatly a geographic term (as much as they would have liked us to believe it was in the past.) That is when the brand should be fully killed off in my opinion as it will finally mean nothing.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... Granada, it isn't excatly a geographic term (as much as they would have liked us to believe it was in the past.) That is when the brand should be fully killed off in my opinion as it will finally mean nothing.

Its a geographic term if you live in Spain. YTV/itv Yorkshire includes Lincolnshire , parts of the East Midlands and Norfolk, so the local news has often referred to the Calender region.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    We don't hate Lucy Owen, far from it, but why oh why does she keep dressing like an extra from Blakes 7?
    She's such a pretty girl too.
  • Options
    acmoldacmold Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    "Regional TV doesn't really work that well for us in Coventry, because we are too close to the edge of the West Midlands region. So whereas we can find out about everything that's going on in Hereford and Stoke-on-Trent (both nearly 60 miles away), we never hear anything about Hinckley (11 miles away), Daventry (20 miles) or Banbury (30 miles) as they are in three separate"

Same with Oxford (and the north of the county) most of the time you get "local" news that can be as far as 130 / 150 miles away but you don't get news from neighbouring towns 30 or 40 miles away.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acmold wrote: »
    "Regional TV doesn't really work that well for us in Coventry, because we are too close to the edge of the West Midlands region. So whereas we can find out about everything that's going on in Hereford and Stoke-on-Trent (both nearly 60 miles away), we never hear anything about Hinckley (11 miles away), Daventry (20 miles) or Banbury (30 miles) as they are in three separate"

Same with Oxford (and the north of the county) most of the time you get "local" news that can be as far as 130 / 150 miles away but you don't get news from neighbouring towns 30 or 40 miles away.

I thought the BBC did a mini-opt on the Oxford transmitter at 6.30 and 10.30 as it does for Cambridge and the Channel Islands
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member

Derek rocks.

If I was him, I'd be shagging Claire Summers after each bulletin. However, I'd wager Claire is the last sort he'd fancy.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Stuart Hall :D:D
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Sad, as Carol Malia is a totally uncontroversial person who most people like.
    Actually some of the better known presenters can be real horrors. Noel Edmonds, from what I've heard, used to behave obnoxiously to autograph hunting kids in the seventies.

I had no problems with Noel. Met him at Butlins in the early 90's during a Houseparty weekend. Not only got his autograph, he was happy to chat to the kids and even let them sit in the Radio 1 Range Rover he was driving at the time. I have a pic somewhere in the loft.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Dinage deserves Hero status
  • Options
    acmoldacmold Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I thought the BBC did a mini-opt on the Oxford transmitter at 6.30 and 10.30 as it does for Cambridge and the Channel Islands

That's why I put most of the time, BBC Oxford is 10 minutes Monday to Thursday at 6.30pm, 30 minutes on Friday, at 3pm, 8pm and 10pm Monday to Friday. But nothing in the mornings or at weekends.

Strangly BBC Oxford cover a different area to ITV off of the Beckley transmitter, the BBC cover news as far east as Tring and the Dunstable Downs,occasionally to south Warwickshire and they always cover South Northants and East Gloucestershire.

Quite a number of stories on BBC Oxford are also run / shared with BBC East (Cambridge) and BBC West but hardly any with BBC South (Southampton).

We also get BBC South regional programmes and much of the time these are not very relevant to us, I have wondered as "Inside Out" appears to be made up of three 10 minutes items some shared by different areas why the Beckley can't have the three most relevant to the area. For instance the other week there was a story on BBC West Mids about Coventry and why they were not building an incinerator, it was the same week one was approved at Ardley in North Oxfordshire, while the West Mids story was running BBC South had an item about Burgess Hill, West Midlands then followed with a story about Speedway which again would have been well watched in Oxfordshire.

I tend to watch BBC West Midlands and BBC West as much as I do BBC Oxford / South for regional programmes and news, purely as many of the items are much closer to home.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred is great but ITV Central viewers may well dispute your stalwart point. Bob Warman has been around since 1979 on ATV (which always means Tiswas to me), he presents Central Tonight.

He even did a stint presenting The Price Is Right on Sky, but that is best forgotten!

True. I was referring to Fred being the last good old fashioned local ITV Weather forecaster.

Main Presenter wise of course some ITV Regional stalwarts still include Bob Warman, Fred Dinenage and Lucy Meacock!