Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    apologies if this has already been posted but I just saw it & think its adorable :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwXh0kRjxPU

You're right, he is very sweet. He was a cute kid!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Speaking (in my own voice) as someone who has always been able to do impressions of other people, I think we should be guarded about making judgements on Nole for doing his.

Firstly, he is probably the only person who knows why he did them and even then, based on my experience, even this appreciation is not always that easy.

Do you do them becasue you like the attention theyr bring?

Or do you do them from a selfless perepective to make others laugh and have a nice moment in their day?

At a school reunion last Saturday, the VERY FIRST THING that my class-mates of 40 years ago asked me was, 'Do you still do impressions?

I had forgotten that I did them at such a young age but with smiles on all their faces they tried to get me to do them again, expecially the ones of the teachers.

In my corporate life, there were numerous occasions where my departmental colleagues pestered me to 'do me, do me,' and most times, of course, I would oblige.

I did them becasue I could and usually they created a fun and enjoyable time.

But as I got older, although I still enjoyed doing them, I became more aware of 2 things; occasionally upsetting people who felt that they were being 'got at', even though this motivation was never the case; and secondly, in the coporate environment, I felt that this was how I was regarded, as 'the comedian', even though now, I can look back and see that my work was regarded was seperate to my impression moments - I reached the lower end of senior management.

But I can relate to what he was saying yesterday about focus; stopping them was something he felt he had to do because even he wanted to devote every energy, even the small amount it takes to do them, into his game.

Personally, I'd love to see his impressions. If he's careful how he does who he does, I think they can only create a ray of sunshine into the day.

I saw some when watching Wimbledon a few years ago - but since then I've seen most of them on U Tube.
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    I want to agree with Halibut's post about elitism, can't quote it because I'm on iPhone and it's too big, but totally agree :):D
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Can't seem to edit inappropriate smileys either!! *blush*
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    It always seems a bit flat the day after Wimbledon finishes doesn't it. :(

Seems weird that there are latest scores on the protennislive scoreboard thingy and they aren't from courts at Wimbledon. Got so used to being able to visualise where each match is taking place and being able to watch them from the 6 courts the BBC website covered.

Still, only another 50 weeks to go until Novak begins the defence of his title.
  • Options
    MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Novak's been busy on his Twitter

Receiving a special cake http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43837

At the Champions ball with his brothers http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43782

With his girlfriend Jelena http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43781

On his way to the airport http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43845
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always seems a bit flat the day after Wimbledon finishes doesn't it. :(

aye, though I'll watching the tour de france on itv4 for the next couple weeks :D

Wow the replica trophy is very flash looking. Do they engrave all the names on that too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    aye, though I'll watching the tour de france on itv4 for the next couple weeks :D

I thought they'd all crashed and burned! :confused:

That pile up was amazing! :p

Saw it on the news. Nobody got seriously hurt in that though did they? Hope not. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I'm not an expert on tennis so could you answer a couple of questions.
    !. Why do you call Djokovic " Nole"

2. Martina Hingis won an over 35 doubles with Davenport, but Martina is only 29 at most.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dislike reading posts like this as it smacks of this thread being a bit cliquey and elitist. I must say I haven't ever really felt that myself - but I do see it directed sometimes to people who only post here and there. I realise that during Wimbledon there will be a lot of new posters (myself included) and why does that matter?

Some people have zero knowledge of tennis, some have a bit - and it seems a handful on here have loads - but so what!

I do pretty much agree with you, but I just can't fathom how anybody who has even the most casual or vague interest in tennis can have not heard of Novak Djokovic. Year-End #3 for 4 years, #2 in the world for a good part of 2010, twice a USO runner-up, twice an AO winner, and how can anybody with any interest in any sport not have heard of his magnificent season this year and rise to #1?

Even for people who only watch Queen's and Wimbledon, well he's been a Queen's finalist (in a fantastic match with Nadal), and 2 times semifinalist at Wimbledon before this year.

(This was not just an excuse to list Nole's achievements. I swear).
  • Options
    MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    favourite womens match: Venus v Kimiko Date-Krumm
    favourite mens match: Federer v Tsonga
    female star of tourny: Sabine Lisicki
    male star of tourny: Jo Wilfried Tsonga
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    !. Why do you call Djokovic " Nole"

2. Martina Hingis won an over 35 doubles with Davenport, but Martina is only 29 at most.

"Nole" is an affectionate version of the name Novak in Serbian.

Hingis is 30. I don't know about "over 35" in the Invitation Doubles.
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    I do pretty much agree with you, but I just can't fathom how anybody who has even the most casual or vague interest in tennis can have not heard of Novak Djokovic. Year-End #3 for 4 years, #2 in the world for a good part of 2010, twice a USO runner-up, twice an AO winner, and how can anybody with any interest in any sport not have heard of his magnificent season this year and rise to #1?

Even for people who only watch Queen's and Wimbledon, well he's been a Queen's finalist (in a fantastic match with Nadal), and 2 times semifinalist at Wimbledon before this year.

(This was not just an excuse to list Nole's achievements. I swear).

lol I totally agree Im not quite sure how people can never have heard of Nole either especially when you list all his (wonderful) achievements from the past 4 or so years :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    urgh now he's doing silly impressions of 7 year olds

that Djokovic is so arrogant :p

ha ha I liked that comment :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Novak's been busy on his Twitter

Receiving a special cake http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43837

At the Champions ball with his brothers http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43782

With his girlfriend Jelena http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43781

On his way to the airport http://www.whosay.com/novakdjokovic/photos/43845

I love the picture of the cake & the one with him & his brothers is a good one too what a talented family they are (if we are to believe Novak when he says his brothers are as good as him) I wonder where he will put him trophy?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Martina Hingis won an over 35 doubles with Davenport, but Martina is only 29 at most.

It's just called Event 8 Ladies Invitation. Over 35 isn't specified. Květa Peschke, who won the main women's doubles, is over 5 years older than Hingis!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it on the news. Nobody got seriously hurt in that though did they? Hope not. :o

yeah those lads seem to bounce back up ok :p
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite womens' match: Lisicki/Bartoli - the fact they played during a massive storm just clinches it over the sublime Venus/Kimiko.
    Favourite mens' match: Tsonga/Federer.

Female star of tourny: Lisicki, duh! :D
    Male star: Djokovic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roddick planking:

http://img.ly/5Qoc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I really dislike reading posts like this as it smacks of this thread being a bit cliquey and elitist. I must say I haven't ever really felt that myself - but I do see it directed sometimes to people who only post here and there. I realise that during Wimbledon there will be a lot of new posters (myself included) and why does that matter?

Some people have zero knowledge of tennis, some have a bit - and it seems a handful on here have loads - but so what!

AFAIK this is an open forum and if you join up you can post wherever you like, as little or as often as you like.

I know there are a few plonkers who only pop up during Wimbledon to say precious little else other than how rubbish Andy is and to 'Murray bash' - but its easy to ignore them and there aren't that many.

Jimmy Connors on here has always been polite whenever I've posted and I find Tennisman's posts very interesting - and there are others on here who seem very nice and reply to my posts during matches, etc.

That's my rant over and I'm glad I've done it. Have been feeling it for a while. It wasn't directed at you in particular tbh - but I just think tennis-wise this thread shouldn't go all 'EXCLUSIVE' :o
    Sorry didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't actually talking about this thread, I haven't even read this thread, it was more an observation of people I've spoken with/over heard 'in real life'.

Obviously everyone in the country gets more tennis mad around Wimbledon, its my favorite Slam, but I have spoken with people who don't even know there are 3 other majors some think all other tennis tournements are like 'pre-season football friendlies' in preperation for Wimbledon :rolleyes:

These are the people that annoy me.

I in no way intended to suggest this thread should be exclusive, hell I'm not a regular in this thread, I think its great that people get more interested and hope that they continue to follow tennis properly and this thread, I assume, makes it easier for people follow properly which can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :o I've just cleared my "Ignore" options ( though tf there were only 2 this year!) I hope I'm not being premature.

LOL. He was due to make an appearance in "The Real Housewives of New York City" and you dont get trashier TV than that. :p and "Yes" I watch it...I tell myself I'm so glad that I dont know anyone so shallow or bitchy as that bunch of self entitled divas. It makes me feel smug- well that's my excuse anyway.

favourite womens match : Venus v Date-Krumm ( didn't watch Serena)
    favourite mens match Tsonga V Fed
    female star of tourny Livitski
    male star of tourny Tomic./Nole (joint)

Couple of extra categories from me:

Biggest Revelation: That women's tennis is once again worth watching
    Biggest Disappointment: Pat Rafter's looks! :cry:
    I think I'm glad I've never seen or even heard of that show. Must read (a little) about it.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch the New Jersey one, it's even trashier. :D
    Drew_M wrote: »
    I think I'm glad I've never seen or even heard of that show. Must read (a little) about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gh49 wrote: »
    Sorry didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't actually talking about this thread, I haven't even read this thread, it was more an observation of people I've spoken with/over heard 'in real life'.

Obviously everyone in the country gets more tennis mad around Wimbledon, its my favorite Slam, but I have spoken with people who don't even know there are 3 other majors some think all other tennis tournements are like 'pre-season football friendlies' in preperation for Wimbledon :rolleyes:

These are the people that annoy me.

I in no way intended to suggest this thread should be exclusive, hell I'm not a regular in this thread, I think its great that people get more interested and hope that they continue to follow tennis properly and this thread, I assume, makes it easier for people follow properly which can only be a good thing.

Fair enough, as I said it wasn't just directed at your post, just my general observations (and ramblings)

This thread seems to chugg along all through the year I think with the regulars - although I really like it during Wimbledon as I like to post when a match is actually being played and get others viewpoints on here at the same time.

Much as I like to post in the TV thread during a TV show, like Dinner Date or Million Pound Drop. It adds to the experience for me and tis fun. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before Wimbledon started this year i think i came into this thread twice and both of those times it was mostly people talking about Andy Murray so i left without commenting.

Hopefully people will still comment on the WTA as well as the ATP, i can join in the discussions then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think British people/media go a bit nuts over Murray winning Wimbledon?

There are apparently 100,000 people (and counting) lining the streets of Belgrade to see Novak's parade.
This discussion has been closed.