Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a bit late to the 17th birthday bit, but i've just checked and i think i'm in the running for the worst no 1 on their 17th birthday with -

Elaine Page and Barbara Dickson - I know him so well!

Number one when i was born was -

Esther and Abi Ofarim - Cinderella Rockefella.

I don't know anything about that song at all.

Anyhow, looking forward to the first edition of 1980 tomorrow night :)

Me also for Babs and Elaine on my 17th birthday.

My favourite birthday number one was when I was 14, Town Called Malice/Precious. That was the start of my Paul Weller obsession! Was gutted when he split the band later that year.
  • blue screenblue screen Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Your mate is double cursed then, because his birth No1 would have been atrocious too then, back 17 years from December 1989 to 1972 with My-Ding-A-Ling! :blush:

Thought i'd check my birth No1 and it's My Ding-A-Ling as well. I'd never heard it before so thought i'd give it a listen on youtube expecting to hear some great Chuck Berry song like Johnny B Goode and what a shock i got. It's absolutely horrendous.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought i'd check my birth No1 and it's My Ding-A-Ling as well. I'd never heard it before so thought i'd give it a listen on youtube expecting to hear some great Chuck Berry song like Johnny B Goode and what a shock i got. It's absolutely horrendous.

Ha ha, you were kind of warned. Maybe you'll be humming it to yourself for the rest of the evening now. :D
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    Only just catching up with this Number one on my day of birth was Shirley Bassey with as I Love You . Can't say I've ever heard it played
    Cool track number one on my 17th tho' - December 63 by the Four Seasons (Bought it as well)
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,841
    Forum Member
    Oh..oh...Crapbuckets! My 17th Number Oner is Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love >:(

Birth one is The Tams - Hey Girl Don't Bother Me :confused: (never heard of them or it...)
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of my all time faves too....

I prefer Brother brother - so underrated.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Is there a curse around everyone's 17th birthday?

I've just checked one of my mates, and he's got Jive Bunny's 'Let's Party'.

Send him my condolences! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    How freaky!!!! the number one on my 17th birthday was.............

Too shy :D by Kajagoogoo

Like Hot Chocolate's No Doubt About It, I loved the intro to Too Shy but found the chorus lamentable.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    Like Hot Chocolate's No Doubt About It, I loved the intro to Too Shy but found the chorus lamentable.

Not a great song, but I liked Nick Beggs' bass work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My birth No.1 was Walk right back - The Everley Brothers. I'll take that though it isn't as good as Cathy's Clown.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T Rex & Hot Love.;)
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    T Rex & Hot Love.;)

Yay, No.1 on my 2nd birthday! Wish I could say I bought it at the time but I was still struggling to walk never mind nip down to the local record store! :D
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the day I was born the terrible novelty song 'Whispering Grass' was at #1 :o

I'd have preferred 'Stand by your Man' or better still 'I'm Not In Love' but no, I got Windsor Davies & Don Estelle! ;-)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We seem to have developed a sub thread within a thread! At this rate we will be closing in on 1,000 posts before the thread has even got to the opening countdown on the very first TOTP proper of the year tomorrow evening.

Now for what was at No18 on your 18th! Okay, that is a step too far, unless you're a Dustin Hoffman Rain Man type.

Johnny Hates Jazz, Shattered Dreams by the way........better than the No1 which was Startrekkin'....."boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse" :blush:
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    We seem to have developed a sub thread within a thread! At this rate we will be closing in on 1,000 posts before the thread has even got to the opening countdown on the very first TOTP proper of the year tomorrow evening.

Now for what was at No18 on your 18th! Okay, that is a step too far, unless you're a Dustin Hoffman Rain Man type.

Johnny Hates Jazz, Shattered Dreams by the way........better than the No1 which was Startrekkin'....."boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse" :blush:

Shattered Dreams' was a great track. But it niggled me a bit at the time as it held off Marillion's 'Incommunicado' for a top 5 placing! :( I really liked the follow up 'I Don't Want To Be a Hero'.

I know it's been a wee bit off topic recently but it's great to have first time posters and I'm sure after tomorrow it'll be back on track. I think we all just can't wait for the 1980 run to begin! :)
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since everyone's doing it, the No.1 on my 17th birthday was The Bee Gees with Night Fever, which puts the No.1 at my birth as Blue Moon by The Marcels, which is pretty cool.

I'll always remember watching TOTP on my 18th birthday (why wasn't I out celebrating???) which featured Sparks doing No.1 Song In Heaven. Unfortunately the No.1 was Bright Eyes, but I tend to forget that bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Face The Strange EP by Therapy?

Surprisingly that wasn't playing at my 18th birthday party :D
    Forum Member
    Since everyone's doing it, the No.1 on my 17th birthday was The Bee Gees with Night Fever, which puts the No.1 at my birth as Blue Moon by The Marcels, which is pretty cool.

I'll always remember watching TOTP on my 18th birthday (why wasn't I out celebrating???) which featured Sparks doing No.1 Song In Heaven. Unfortunately the No.1 was Bright Eyes, but I tend to forget that bit.

Aww, I liked 'Bright Eyes'. It was a shame the BBC wouldn't fork out for the whole clip when it aired last year.
    Legs & Co. dressed up as bunnies would have sufficed for me! :D
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Birth one is The Tams - Hey Girl Don't Bother Me :confused: (never heard of them or it...)

Ahh, one of the most hilarious Top Of The Pops performances.

One of the group is clearly off his face - or just so nervous he's having an almighty wobbler - and just can't get in sync with the other guys. Then all of a sudden he vanishes and the group carries on like nothing's happened.

Definitely worth looking up.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrying this on, although it probably deserves another thread, my 18th birthday no. 1 was Everything I Do I Do It For You. Luckily I avoided Love Is All around as my 21st birthday no. 1, but Whigfield's Saturday night is hardly an improvement!
    Forum Member

One of the group is clearly off his face - or just so nervous he's having an almighty wobbler - and just can't get in sync with the other guys. Then all of a sudden he vanishes and the group carries on like nothing's happened.

And who could forget when The Tams re-appeared at the end of 1987 with 'There Ain't Nothing Like Sha**in'. Radio 1 refused to play it. The Sh*g was apparantly a dance! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_ODa805D0
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    Carrying this on, although it probably deserves another thread, my 18th birthday no. 1 was Everything I Do I Do It For You. Luckily I avoided Love Is All around as my 21st birthday no. 1, but Whigfield's Saturday night is hardly an improvement!

Ooh, Whigfield....Shudder!! I think she might hold the record as being the first act to go straight in at No.1 with their debut single in the UK chart. Scary stuff!!
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, thought I would say a quick hello to everyone. I used to post on the totp thread a couple of years ago but am geared up again for 1980. So looking forward to this as the 80's episodes were my childhood viewing. Hope the bbc continue to show all the 80's years. Interested to hear everyones views on these shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Hi, thought I would say a quick hello to everyone. I used to post on the totp thread a couple of years ago but am geared up again for 1980. So looking forward to this as the 80's episodes were my childhood viewing. Hope the bbc continue to show all the 80's years. Interested to hear everyones views on these shows.

Mine too and I completely agree! I want to see 1984 to 1989 the most! :D
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,841
    Forum Member

Thank you! I will have to look closer into this. :D I remember when I came across a mate of mine performing on a 78 TOTP. I'd heard about his band but to see it caused much hilarity.
This discussion has been closed.