Daily Mail new low in attack on Ed Balls

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Should be on the front page.

No it shouldn't. They made a mistake and they have apologised. I am not a huge Daily Mail supporter but mistakes can be made, and when the error was realised they have made amends and plugged the charity. Seems a fair enough response to me,
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are handing it to Ed on a silver platter.

Miliband is playing a blinder.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Time wrote: »
    Their journalists work for a living.

If you call that work.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope they made a substantial donation to the Super Josh charity, the more stuff like this goes on the more proper regulation of the press becomes attractive
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Miliband's first move as PM is to stop newspapers from publishing crap like this.
  • My TimeMy Time Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    If you call that work.

What would you call getting out of bed every morning and earning money?
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Showing support for this charity cause?
    He was supporting the Super Josh Charity

It is to get votes.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Oh dear, the Mail has not carried out a simple background check.

Spinning it around, why was Balls in the photo to start with?

He was campaigning in Bury North and agreed to pose with the shirt as a mark or respect/support.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    absolutely terrible journalism, they really should of done background research before posting that..

Should have, should have ffs. Why don't you bloody do some background research on basic frigging English?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is to get votes.

No. He did it because he's a decent human being. Of course having him model it while on campaign trail thus ensuring publicity in the press would be beneficial to the charity, and to him.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a difficult concept, working.

And researching, it seems. Wouldn't the journalist want to find out what the initials SJ stood for?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    No it shouldn't. They made a mistake and they have apologised. I am not a huge Daily Mail supporter but mistakes can be made, and when the error was realised they have made amends and plugged the charity. Seems a fair enough response to me,
    Wonder how prominent the apology will be in the print edition - it wasn't exactly obvious going via the website
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    No. He did it because he's a decent human being. Of course having him model it while on campaign trail thus ensuring publicity in the press would be beneficial to the charity, and to him.

So decent he dressed up in a WW2 German uniform.

If you think he is a decent human being you do not understand politics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So decent he dressed up in a WW2 German uniform.

If you think he is a decent human being you do not understand politics.

Yawn. Whatever. :D:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I hope Miliband's first move as PM is to stop newspapers from publishing crap like this.

Ah yes, state regulation of the media.

If you believe in the freedom of the press you have to accept that they will occasionally make mistakes. All that we ask is that they are accountable for what they write and apologise and/or pay compensation where necessary. You can't stop newspapers publishing crap any easier than you can stop politicians telling lies.
  • kathydkathyd Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I have to say that even I'm shocked by this.

https://twitter.com/DawnFidler/status/587357590385995776

https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuperJosh?src=hash

I think people anticipated that attacks from Conservative supporting quarters would be bad, but this is just sickening.
    How the Labour Party ever get in to power with the country always overrun with the evil Tory press(my nickname for them) I'll never know!! Although they were once assisted by the turncoat evil Tory Sun newspaper!!!!!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Faux outrage twitter storm.

Exactly - poor Mail research seems to be the issue here.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't Like It , Don't Read It
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »

Irrespective of whether Ed Balls is a decent person (he may well be) and whether he actually did this for publicity, it is clear that the Daily Fail tried to twist the picture against Ed Balls and the Labour Party and their twisted attempt backfired on them. That's the story.
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Characteristically feeble/cynical work from the Mail there.
  • West BritonWest Briton Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

"Hurrah for the Blackshirts!". That was their catchphrase. Bottom feeding scum remain bottom feeding scum.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Irrespective of whether Ed Balls is a decent person (he may well be) and whether he actually did this for publicity, it is clear that the Daily Fail tried to twist the picture against Ed Balls and the Labour Party and their twisted attempt backfired on them. That's the story.

Exactly.

How many levels/departments/stages must the picture and accompanying 'dig' have had to go through before being printed? It was patently obvious at first glance (to me anyway) that it wasn't a standard Superman logo on the sweat shirt - dear me - what an epic fail. Embarrassing or what?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thicko DM journalist doesn't get thing right shocker ..... and what exactly are they twisting this into :confused:
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "new low" is overegging the pudding somewhat. That isn't even in the Mail Bottom 100.