Options

2010-2011 US Television Awards

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
Forum Member
As a huge fan of American Television Series (apart from celebrity juice, doctor who and being human the rest of the tv i watch is from the US) i want to start an honest thread about candidates who you the ds forum would like to see win awards. We in the UK dont focus much on awards for US shows (unless "international" is used in the award title). So i have listed a series of awards for shows that have aired from May 2010- June 2011 that way US cable shows can be included. Speaking of US cable shows, they are in seperate catagories, due to them being at a different level to network television (i.e. they can be more violent/ sexual/ use of drugs and profanity). Nominees can be from shows that have or have not aired in the UK as of the 24th June 2011 (there are many sites out there that UK residents can view US shows after they have aired in the states, we all know that). For those unaware of the difference in cable and network programming in the United States i suggest wikipedia for indepth understanding but examples include HBO (true blood, game of thrones) and showtime (dexter, weeds) as cable channels and CBS (NCIS and The Big Bang Theory) and NBC (Chuck and 30 rock) as network programming.

The Catagories are:
  • Best Actor (network)
  • Best Actress (network)
  • Best supporting Actor (network)
  • Best supporting Actress (network)
  • Best Guest Actor (network)
  • Best Guest Actress (network)
  • Best Actor (Cable)
  • Best Actress (Cable)
  • Best supporting Actor (Cable)
  • Best supporting Actress (Cable)
  • Best Guest Actor (Cable)
  • Best Guest Actress (Cable)
  • Best Drama (network)
  • Best Comedy (network)
  • Best Drama (Cable)
  • Best Comedy (Cable)
  • Best episode of a Drama (Cable)
  • Best episode of a Drama (network)
  • Special Catogory- Best Animation (Both)
  • Special Catogory- Best Sci-Fi (Both)
  • Special Catogory- Best Fantasy (Both)
  • Special Catogory- Best Ensamble (Both)
  • Special Catogory- Best Procedral (Both)
  • Special Catogory- Best Channel (US)
  • Special Catagory- Best Channel to air US shows (UK)
  • Special Catogory- TV show that's really awesome but doesn't get promoted here in the UK and has a crap timeslot
  • Special Catogory- TV show thats really awesome but doesnt get get much love in the US
  • Special Catogory- TV show that was cancelled in the past year but should still be on the air

Special Recommendation Award-
The following 5 actors and actress have been nominated by me to be given an honorary special recommendation. Most awards shows have them so there is no reason for the DS forum not too. I ask that if you respond to this you suggest your favourite. If the actor or actress is in a current US show you can still nominate them for the award. They are:
  • Tom Selleck (Magnum P.I/ Friends/ Blue Bloods)
  • Patrick Stewart (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • James Gandolfini (The Sopranos)
  • Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap/ Chuck/ Star Trek: Enterprise)
  • Julianna Margulies (ER/ The Good Wife)

All Time Best US TV Drama Award-
This award is for dramas that are no longer on the air but were really good peices of drama. These shows will be seen as the last of a breed of drama in the era of reality shows such asThe Only Way Is Essex and the X-Factor over here and American Idol and Jersey Shore over in the US which take up more and more timeslots every year. I also ask if you respond to this you suggest your favourite. The shows are:
  • The Wire (HBO)
  • ER (NBC)
  • Lost (ABC)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The WB)
  • The West Wing (NBC)
  • The X-Files (FOX)
  • Nip/Tuck (FX)
  • The Sopranos (HBO)
  • The Shield (FX)
  • Battlestar Galatica: the reimagined series (Sci-Fi)
  • Six Feet Under (HBO)

Voting closes in a months time. I shall post winners on a seperate thread (with the following title 2010-2011 US Television Awards: Winners) on 25th july. Happy nominating!

P.S. All shows are welcome to be nominated as long as they are american (canadian shows are also welcolmed due to them being similar in structure and budgetry). Happy nominating!

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    I have forgot comedy catagories for Actors and Actresses. They include:
    • Best Actor in a comedy (Network)
    • Best Actor in a comedy (Cable)
    • Best Actress in a comedy (Network)
    • Best Actress in a comedy (Cable)
    • Best Guest Actor/ Actress in a comedy (Both)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I don't know which shows are network/cable though :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wikipedia is great for a few things and this is one of them. Good ol' wikipedia.

Mad Men, Dexter, Weeds, True Blood, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Game of Thrones, The Big C, Broadwalk Empire, Burn Notice and Royal Pains are examples of Cable.

Desperate Housewives, Fringe, CSI, Castle, Bones, American Dad, Chuck, Greys Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, Glee, The Vampire Diaries, NCIS and Blue Bloods are examples of of Network Television.

If the show has nudity, violence (loads of blood), swearing and is an hour long without commercials for dramas and half an hour long with out commercials for comedy's in likely to be a cable show.

If the show is a procedral (i.e. a cop show, where there is a single case solved each episode) or if it is an hour long with commercials for drama and is half hour long with commercials for comedy then its likely to be a network show.

If anyone else is unsure just do it singly and i will assign it to cable or network.

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok this wasnt getting the response i wanted. I thought you the DS forum would love a chance to discuss who deserves an award. We watch the shows sometimes religiously and are not able to vote for our favourite shows and so this would be like a substitute. So i will get the ball rolling with a couple of catagories.

Remember you do not need to vote in every catagory and if you are unsure what is cable and what is net work just put Best Actor and the show he is in and i will assign him to cable or network.

Best Actor (network)- Simon Baker (the mentalist)
    Best Actor (cable)- Michael C. Hall (dexter)
    Best Actress (network)- Sally Field (Brothers and Sisters)
    Best Actress (cable)- Anna paquin (true blood)
    Best Drama (network)- Blue Bloods
    Best Drama (cable)- True Blood
    Best Comedy (network)- The US office
    Best Comedy (cable)- The Big C
    Best Supporting Actor (network)- John Noble (Fringe)
    Best Supporting Actor (cable)- Dennis O' Hare (True blood)
    Best Supporting Actress (network)- Jasika Nicole (Fringe)
    Best Supporting Actress (cable)- Jenifer Carpenter (Dexter)
    Best Comedy Actor (network)- Charlie Sheen (two and a half men)
    Best Comedy Actor (cable)- Larry David (Curb your enthusiasm)
    Best Comedy Actress (network)- Tina Fey (30 rock)
    Best Comedy Actress (cable)- Laura Linney (The Big C)
    Best supporting comedy Actor- Neil Patrick harris (HIMYM)
    Special Catagory- Best US channel- CBS (why? NCIS, Blue Bloods, The Good Wife, The Mentalist and Mike and Molly)
    Special Catagory- Best Channel to air US shows- Sky Atlantic (its hypocritical to a thread i started but seeing as it focus soley on prime time US drama its still the best channel out there)
    Special Catagory- TV show that doesnt get promoted and has a crap timeslot- Justified on 5usa. It should be on 5 at 10pm on a wednesday night.
    Special Catagory- TV show thats really awesome that doesnt get much love in the US- Fringe
    Special Catagory- best Procedural- NCIS
    Special Catagory- best animation- Family Guy
    Special Catagory- best fantasy- True Blood
    Special Catagory- best sci-fi- Fringe

Think ive got it wrong, nominate your personal favourite actor or actress and see if others agree with you. Happy Nominating!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I don't watch that much but I'll do what I can.

The Catagories are:
    Best Actor (network) - Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

Best supporting Actor (network) - Scott Caan (Hawaii Five-0)

Best Actor (Cable) - Michael C. Hall (Dexter)

Best supporting Actor (Cable) - Dule Hill (Psych)

Best Drama (network) - Hawaii Five-0 (CBS)
    Best Comedy (network) - The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
    Best Drama (Cable) - Dexter (Showtime)
    Best Comedy (Cable) - Psych (USA Network)

Special Catogory- Best Animation (Both) - Family Guy (Fox)

Special Catogory- Best Channel (US) - USA Network

Special Catogory- TV show that's really awesome but doesn't get promoted here in the UK and has a crap timeslot - So many Psych, Dexter, Burn Notice. I'll go with Dexter.

Special Catogory- TV show that was cancelled in the past year but should still be on the air - Does 24 still count :D

I've just realised I don't watch any shows with strong female actresses.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexus27b wrote: »
    Mad Men, Dexter, Weeds, True Blood, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Game of Thrones, The Big C, Broadwalk Empire, Burn Notice and Royal Pains are examples of Cable.

Desperate Housewives, Fringe, CSI, Castle, Bones, American Dad, Chuck, Greys Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, Glee, The Vampire Diaries, NCIS and Blue Bloods are examples of of Network Television.

If the show has nudity, violence (loads of blood), swearing and is an hour long without commercials for dramas and half an hour long with out commercials for comedy's in likely to be a cable show.

But there's two types of cable, premium and basic. You won't find nudity, profanity etc. on basic cable and the shows have a shorter running time to allow for commercials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is a fair point. I was trying to make it easier to understand.

I shall make a more formative decision.

Network is anyshow that airs on NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC and the CW. There the major 5 in the US.

Cable is HBO, Syfy, Bravo, USA, FX, A&E, Comedy Central, Spike, TNT, ABC family, Showtime, AMC and starz.

If there is a drama or comedy on another channel, feel free to mention it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I like your idea, but the list of "Awards" is too extensive and deducts from the fun IMO.

Maybe you should just have Best xxx regardless of cable or Network TV.
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best Actor (network)- Gary Sinise - CSI:NY
    Best Actor (cable)- Michael C. Hall - Dexter
    Best Actress (network)- Sally Fieldv- Brothers and Sisters
    Best Actress (cable)- Anna paquin
    Best Drama (network)- Brothers & Sisters
    Best Drama (cable)- The Tudors
    Best Comedy (network)- The Middle
    Best Comedy (cable)- Nurse Jackie
    Best Supporting Actor (network)- Ricardo Antonio Chavira - DH
    Best Supporting Actor (cable)- David Zayas - Dexter
    Best Supporting Actress (network) Sophia Bust - OTH
    Best Supporting Actress (cable)- Joanne King- The Tudors
    Best Comedy Actor (network)- Jake Lacy - Better with you
    Best Comedy Actor (cable)- Peter Facinelli - Nurse jackie
    Best Comedy Actress (network)- Patricia Heaton- The Middle
    Best Comedy Actress (cable)- Eve Best - Nurse Jackie
    Special Catagory- Best US channel- ABC
    Special Catagory- Best Channel to air US shows- Sky 1
    Special Catagory- TV show that doesnt get promoted and has a crap timeslot- Parent Hood - Should be on a better channel
    Special Catagory- TV show thats really awesome that doesnt get much love in the US- 90210
    Special Catagory- best Procedural- CSI:NY
    Special Catagory- best animation- American Dad
    Special Catagory- best fantasy- Camalot
    Special Catagory- best sci-fi- Smallville

your list has far to many awards and the thread has become a bit messy now... id leave it a bit and start again maybe with fewer awards:

Best actor (drama)
    Best actor (comedy)
    Best actress (drama)
    best actress (comedy)
    best drama (cable)
    best drama (network)
    best comdey (cable)
    best comedy (network)
    best cable channel
    best network channel

then a few randon ones like some u already have:

best animation
    best procedural
    TV show that doesnt get promoted and has a crap timeslot
    most improved show (after a poor season)
    Best show thats ended recently
    best show thats started in the last year

:D
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This feels like homework
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Best Actor (network) Simon Baker (The Mentalist)
    Best Actress (network) Lauren Graham (Parenthood)
    Best supporting Actor (network) Ed O'Neill (Modern Family)
    Best supporting Actress (network) Lyndsy Fonseca (Nikita)
    Best Actor (Cable) Timothy Olyphant (Justified)
    Best Actress (Cable) Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men)
    Best supporting Actor (Cable) Matthew Gray Gubler (Criminal Minds)
    Best supporting Actress (Cable) Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men)

Best Drama (network) Criminal Minds
    Best Comedy (network) Community
    Best Drama (Cable) Boardwalk Empire
    Best Comedy (Cable) United States of Tara
    Best episode of a Drama (Cable) Nikita-Betrayals

Special Category- Best Sci-Fi (Both) Smallville
    Special Category- Best Fantasy (Both) Game of Thrones
    Special Category- Best Procedural (Both) Southland
    Special Category- Best Channel (US) AMC (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Killing, etc)
    Special Category- Best Channel to air US shows (UK) - Sky Atlantic
    Special Category- TV show that's really awesome but doesn't get promoted here in the UK and has a crap timeslot: Nikita (Living split season in two with massive hiatus).
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    WTF thats way to long

BUFFY RULES!!!!!!!
    :eek::D

i would like to add other awards too:D

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A TV SHOW THAT WAS NOT ON CABLE BUT ON NETWORK BUT THEN WENT TO CABLE AND THEN BACK TO NETWORK

BEST TV SERIES THAT WAS BASED ON A RADIO SHOW BUT THEN TURNED INTO A COMIC THEN INTO A MOVIE AND ALSO TV MOVIE THEN VIDEO GAME THEN TV SHOW THAT TURNED INTO A MOVIE THEN INTO A TV SHOW

:p
  • Options
    Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I started to compose my answers, but soon came to realise how little network television I've actually watched over the past year.

I can think of an abundance of potential and worthy winners for the cable categories, but I'm struggling to recall a single network show of any worth over the past 12 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right Guys clearly this hasnt worked. The confusion over cable/network television. I felt that the emmys dont give enough support to network tv stars and focus on shows such as breaking bad, mad men and such likes.

So how about i make the nominations and you the DS forum pick the winners. Its not as democratic but i do watch a lot (and i mean apart from greys anatomy, the vampire diaries and sprinkling of others i do watch a lot of shows). Sound good guys?

Just want to make the fairest awards show even if its in the hidden world of the ds forum :)

Expect a thread later today...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Lexus27b wrote: »
    Right Guys clearly this hasnt worked. The confusion over cable/network television. I felt that the emmys dont give enough support to network tv stars and focus on shows such as breaking bad, mad men and such likes.

So how about i make the nominations and you the DS forum pick the winners. Its not as democratic but i do watch a lot (and i mean apart from greys anatomy, the vampire diaries and sprinkling of others i do watch a lot of shows). Sound good guys?

Just want to make the fairest awards show even if its in the hidden world of the ds forum :)

Expect a thread later today...
    Sounds like a good idea, perhaps you could reduce the categories and do a poll thread for each category? With an 'Other-please state' option incase you omit any decent contenders.