Options

Paxman vs Cameron vs Milliband

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Why don't they make Jeremy Paxman Prime Minister ?

Comments

• Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Jeremy Paxman moved to Sky?

I've just seen him standing next to Kay Burley.

Thought I was seeing things.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Has Jeremy Paxman moved to Sky?

I've just seen him standing next to Kay Burley.

Thought I was seeing things.

No its real its C4/SKY doing it should have been the 1 on 1
    suspect the real talking point will be Kay Burley tomorrow night.
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kay burley! lol the circus just got real!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I want to see Paxman at his best really laying into the frit chicken Cameron for only agreeing to take part one leaders' debate and for being such a total coward by refusing to do a one on one debate with Miliband.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to see Paxman at his best really laying into the frit chicken Cameron for only agreeing to take part one leaders' debate and for being such a total coward by refusing to do a one on one debate with Miliband.

So you'd rather him waste time debating the pros and cons of debates as opposed to asking challenging questions about policy?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you see the One to One debate in PMQs yesterday? If it had been a boxing match then they would have thrown in the towel on Miliband. It was one of his worst performances ever.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Did you see the One to One debate in PMQs yesterday? If it had been a boxing match then they would have thrown in the towel on Miliband. It was one of his worst performances ever.

Because he was surprised by the Policy on the Hoof move?
    As opposed to Cameron staggering around a stage looking for somebody......anybody......to help him find an exit door to escape from Age UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    So you'd rather him waste time debating the pros and cons of debates as opposed to asking challenging questions about policy?

You must have a view on what % of viewers will be puzzled that the debate advertised by the broadcasters is not a debate.
    What is that view?

Do you want Paxman to discover what the "problem" is or not?
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was dire - his failure to answer the question on NI only for Ed Balls to give an answer 2 hours later makes him look like he doesnt have much grasp of policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    He was dire - his failure to answer the question on NI only for Ed Balls to give an answer 2 hours later makes him look like he doesnt have much grasp of policy.

You may have misunderstood the concept of PMQs. As has the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Because he was surprised by the Policy on the Hoof move?

I'm not sure it was made up on the spot, but even if it was then that is the kind of quick thinking you have to be able to cope with in a debate. If the one to one had gone ahead (and I'm slightly disappointed it didn't) then Miliband would have gone in with his pre-scripted rants, wagged his finger a lot and then be totally "surprised" when he didn't get an answer he was expecting.

All he had to take the initiative, show some leadership and say "yes, I rule it out" then move onto his question which would have killed the issue dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it was made up on the spot, .

It will be fun finding out.

A member of the Treasury Select Committee has just described one section of Osborne's appearance on Tuesday as:
    "The most serious breach of the select commitee system. Ever"

That is a direct quote.

Maybe Matt Hancock can help?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwaoZTCzPc0
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Miliband needs to get act together for this, there's no point sticking to a script that's only legislated for one answer when you've already been wrong footed. To easy.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour MP John Mann is on the Today programme. He claims George Osborne's obfuscation on Tuesday in front of the Treasury Committee over the issue of VAT - Mr Osborne said there was no need for the government to raise VAT - may be the most serious breach of the select committee system in parliamentary history.

He says the chancellor has held parliament in contempt and mis-led the Treasury committee by being somewhat economical with the truth. he says.

"If the governor of the Bank of England or the head of the financial regulator said that they would have to resign, " Mr Mann says.

"For the chancellor to mislead the committee and then for it to be a political set up for the next day what it does it it brings into disrepute the whole committee system," he adds.

Brilliant. Labour use the Committee system to try and expose shortcomings in the Tory plans but when Osborne turns the tables and sets them up for a fall - it's "the most serious breach of the select committee system in parliamentary history".

Sauce for the goose. The Mann's a idiot.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Brilliant. Labour use the Committee system to try and expose shortcomings in the Tory plans but when Osborne turns the tables and sets them up for a fall - it's "the most serious breach of the select committee system in parliamentary history".

Sauce for the goose. The Mann's a idiot.

Classic example of the biter bitten.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be fun finding out.

Will it? This is the kind of internal Westminster shenanigans than 99% of the population don't care about.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume Kay Burley will be restricted to her usual shtick of grabbling random strangers and asking "How do you feel?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume Kay Burley will be restricted to her usual shtick of grabbling random strangers and asking "How do you feel?"

Sadly I think that you are correct. Wittering is her stock in trade.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jeremy will interview each one for 18 minutes then Kay will take questions from an audience made up of 1/3 Tory, 1/3 Labour and 1/3 undecided I think is what was said on Sky earlier.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have a view on what % of viewers will be puzzled that the debate advertised by the broadcasters is not a debate.
    What is that view?

Do you want Paxman to discover what the "problem" is or not?

No, because there's nothing to discover and anybody who hasn't figured out for themselves that Cameron's decision was simple political calculation (as in, why present Ed a much needed opportunity to try and impress a public who remain sceptical of his abilities) is going to be sorely disappointed by the fact that no politician is going to openly admit it was a deliberate tactic.... so why bother asking?

I'm quite looking forward to this, so long as Paxman doesn't try to become the centre of attention by trying to live up to his past reputation as a bit of an obnoxious gobsh!te too much and that we learn more about what the respective parties plans are from their respective leaders as opposed to one telling us what the other will do all the ruddy time.
    I'd rather they were being quizzed by Brillo as opposed to Paxo but that's just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Jeremy will interview each one for 18 minutes then Kay will take questions from an audience made up of 1/3 Tory, 1/3 Labour and 1/3 undecided I think is what was said on Sky earlier.

Thanks for the info...though TBH I won't be watching :)
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info...though TBH I won't be watching :)

Watch and join in on here not interested in Cameron & Miliband just an excuse for Paxman & Burley bashing.

No one will remember the first two tomorrow it will all be about the pending marriage of Paxman & Burley which will be the real shocker of the night :p;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    No, because there's nothing to discover and anybody who hasn't figured out for themselves that Cameron's decision was simple political calculation (as in, why present Ed a much needed opportunity to try and impress a public who remain sceptical of his abilities) is going to be sorely disappointed by the fact that no politician is going to openly admit it was a deliberate tactic.... so why bother asking?

I'm quite looking forward to this, so long as Paxman doesn't try to become the centre of attention by trying to live up to his past reputation as a bit of an obnoxious gobsh!te too much and that we learn more about what the respective parties plans are from their respective leaders as opposed to one telling us what the other will do all the ruddy time.
    I'd rather they were being quizzed by Brillo as opposed to Paxo but that's just my personal opinion.

I agree with you. Brillo is a superb inquisitor and marmalizes those who are trying to dazzle him with brilliance or baffle him with bullsh*t.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ed certainly has - if his disaster yesterday was an example of somebody on top of their game then its hardly surprising that Labour have been haemorrhaging support.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you not think that feeble Dave won't have ruled out any such question/s as a condition for appearing? Because I would be very surprised if he hasn't.