Can you recommend a good historical drama?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Lillie' A Lillie Langtry tv series, fabulous, starring Francesca Annis.

Many thanks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatboydim wrote: »
    Yep it's tough out there. I'm hearing you! My own agent assures me it's going to get better - My favourite expression at the moment is: Never Waste a Good recession - It seems you're doing the most creative thing :) Best of luck!

Yes, things are harsh all round, but I too think it's going to get better. It'll just take a little bit of time, and I'm doing my best to make the most of it.

Many, many thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Best of luck to you too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    For those who are wondering why I'm looking for these classics...

Well, life's been a bit hard this year, for me as well as those who depend on me. I worry about them, and I work all sorts of long, crazy hours. So feeling rather worn out, burned out, whatever you'd like to call it, I thought that if I switched off completely for an hour or two each evening, (even though I'll still be working in the evenings), it might do me good. And then I'd be of more use to others.

Last week I tried watching a few modern films - the sort where the hero just manages to dodge bullets while talking on a mobile phone and sending text messages, but they didn't really do it for me just now.

Then I came across Pride and Prejudice and Emma and found that when watching these, my mind switched off and I was lost in the past, in a world where manners, decorum, a slower pace of life and beautiful scenery prevailed. I consider myself to be a modern young man but somehow I yearn for the classics, including those of a more adventurous nature. I enjoy the dialogue and the depth of conversation (rather than watching lots of CGI special effects). I also like that the age of the TV series rarely matters if it’s set in the past.

As my situation seems likely to continue for the next few months, I'm going to need a few of these to keep me going.

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply and made such wonderful suggestions. I really do appreciate all of the suggestions this far.

Loads of my favourites have already been mentioned but you could try Love on a Branch Line which was a BBC mini series from the 90's or Cold Comfort Farm which has loads of famous people in it including Eileen Atkins and Rufus Sewell. I also love Flambards which used to be on on Sunday afternoons in the 70's. It's based on the series of children's books but I still like watching it. There's about 10 episodes as well so it could keep you going for ages.

I'm loath to mention these but if you want something really cheesy to help you chill there is always The Lady and the Highwayman (watch out for a young Hugh Grant) and A Hazard of Hearts (Helena Bonham-Carter). They are quite lavish and full of famous people but very cheesy so certainly not for everyone.

I hope this helps.
  • Friday's childFriday's child Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Some of my personal favourites that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

To Serve Them All My Days - imo the best BBC drama series ever.

The Barchester Chronicles - fabulous all-star cast topped by towering performances from Alan Rickman as Obadiah Slope and Geraldine McEwan as Mrs Proudie.

Our Mutual Friend - the 1976 BBC version which I found far superior to the more recent one.

Nicholas Nickleby - the BBC version with Nigel Havers, though the RSC adaption with Roger Rees that was shown on (I think) C4 is also great, however I don't know if that one has ever been released on dvd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katkins72 wrote: »
    Loads of my favourites have already been mentioned but you could try Love on a Branch Line which was a BBC mini series from the 90's or Cold Comfort Farm which has loads of famous people in it including Eileen Atkins and Rufus Sewell. I also love Flambards which used to be on on Sunday afternoons in the 70's. It's based on the series of children's books but I still like watching it. There's about 10 episodes as well so it could keep you going for ages.

I'm loath to mention these but if you want something really cheesy to help you chill there is always The Lady and the Highwayman (watch out for a young Hugh Grant) and A Hazard of Hearts (Helena Bonham-Carter). They are quite lavish and full of famous people but very cheesy so certainly not for everyone.

I hope this helps.

Some wonderful suggestions here. Thanks. As for The Lady and the Highwayman - yes, I'm up for a bit of cheese to chill by. :)

Good job I've got a generous stack of vouchers for Amazon and Play from past birthdays and Christmas. (People never know what to get me so I invariably end up with vouchers). I'll be putting these to good use this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of my personal favourites that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

To Serve Them All My Days - imo the best BBC drama series ever.

The Barchester Chronicles - fabulous all-star cast topped by towering performances from Alan Rickman as Obadiah Slope and Geraldine McEwan as Mrs Proudie.

Our Mutual Friend - the 1976 BBC version which I found far superior to the more recent one.

Nicholas Nickleby - the BBC version with Nigel Havers, though the RSC adaption with Roger Rees that was shown on (I think) C4 is also great, however I don't know if that one has ever been released on dvd.

This is wonderful. What a great wealth of classic dramas there are. Most of them I didn't even know about. Cheers.
    Forum Member
    Good job I've got a generous stack of vouchers for Amazon and Play from past birthdays and Christmas. (People never know what to get me so I invariably end up with vouchers). I'll be putting these to good use this time.

Amazon are currently offering the Charles Dickens BBC collection (twelve discs covering The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, Martin Chuzzlewit, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Our Mutual Friend and Great Expectations) for £35.97!

Apparently the total running time is 1977 minutes, which should keep any Dickens fan very happy indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon are currently offering the Charles Dickens BBC collection (twelve discs covering The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, Martin Chuzzlewit, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Our Mutual Friend and Great Expectations) for £35.97!

Apparently the total running time is 1977 minutes, which should keep any Dickens fan very happy indeed.

Wow! This seems like a great deal. I'll check it out. Many thanks.
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope things pick up for you in the future, Literary Agent!

No one has mentioned 'Tenko' yet, a superb, although harrowing, series about women prisoners of the Japanese in WW2. Some big names in the cast and each episode contained a complete story, as well as the on-going plots.

'Edward and Mrs Simpson' is enjoyable for fans of history and the Royals. Edward Fox was put on this earth to play the abdicating Monarch!

I recently watched 'Jenny' - the story of Jenny Churchhill, Mother of Winston. Wonderful 6 part series with a young Warren Clarke as the future PM.

I think you are going to be very busy in the coming months!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    Hope things pick up for you in the future, Literary Agent!

I think you are going to be very busy in the coming months!

Thank you for the kind comments and most helpful suggestions. I am indeed going to be busy and putting all those gift vouchers to use. :D
    Forum Member
    This thread is reminding me of a lot of great series. :)

How about 'Silas Marner' with Ben Kingsley and a young Patsy Kensit. Haven't seen it for years but I loved that.

Or for something a little different, the fabulous 'Monocled Mutineer' with Paul McGann.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Boys From The Blackstuff - Might not be cheery but surely one of the best ever dramas.

A Very British Coup Outstanding political drama. Written by Chris Mullin and Alan Plater

GBH More from Bleasdale.

Our Friends in the North
    Peter Flannery
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is reminding me of a lot of great series. :)

How about 'Silas Marner' with Ben Kingsley and a young Patsy Kensit. Haven't seen it for years but I loved that.

Or for something a little different, the fabulous 'Monocled Mutineer' with Paul McGann.

I never imagined there would be so many great dramas to choose from.
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some lighter dramas, but very enjoyable viewing would include;

The Duchess of Duke Street - true story of an ambitious cook in Edwardian London.

Flambards - lovely family saga with female central character set before and after WW1.

House of Eliot - 2 sisters take on the world of fashion in the 1920's. Fabulous frocks!

and a little more serious;

The Pallisers - politics and drama from the books by Anthony Trollope and starring Susan Hampshire as the winsome young woman who marries a rather staid, but ambitious, politician.

Cousin Bette - the revenge of a poor relation who feels slighted by her wealthy relatives and vows to destroy them.

Penmarric - Cornwall again and a sweeping family saga which takes viewers from 1867 to 1940.

Aristocrats - very enjoyable drama set around the loves and lives of the Lennox sisters in 18th Century England. Based on their real lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Persuasion
    Cranford
    Middlemarch
    Bleak House

Enjoy! I envy you seeing all these awesome productions for the first time :)

Everything suggested by every poster is an absolute joy - you're in for some wonderful viewing, Literary Agent!
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The Sweeney 70s politically incorrect cops,womanising,boozing and sometimes catching villains ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »

Penmarric - Cornwall again and a sweeping family saga which takes viewers from 1867 to 1940.

Aristocrats - very enjoyable drama set around the loves and lives of the Lennox sisters in 18th Century England. Based on their real lives.

I just saw these DVDs on Amazon so I'll probably be tempted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Persuasion
    Cranford
    Middlemarch
    Bleak House

Enjoy! I envy you seeing all these awesome productions for the first time :)

Everything suggested by every poster is an absolute joy - you're in for some wonderful viewing, Literary Agent!

Thank you :) Some of the DVDs should arrive for the weekend, so I'm really looking forward to seeing them. Everyone has been so helpful.

And I'm going to add Persuasion to my list (love the book) but wondered which version to get - the one with Ciaran Hinds (1995) or Rupert Penry-Jones (2007)?
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about,
    A Family at War.
    Martin Chuzzlewit
    Fortunes of War with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson.
    Vanity Fair
    How Green was my Valley.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some fantastic suggestions in this thread, many, many of my favourites are in here, but may I suggest this one.

Pride and Prejudice from 1980.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078672/

This one is brilliant and after watching it, it made me want to read the book for the first time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tenko
    Written by someone who got all her facts right.
    Brilliantly acted and an accurate portrayal of that period of history in the Far East during the Second World War.

I also loved the TV dramatised Catherine Cookson novels.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C4's The Devils **** - The English Civil War brilliantly brought to life with a human interest.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I'd also recommend Wives and Daughters, Cranford and North and South - superb adaptations of three of my favourite books.

You cannot go wrong with Jane Austen - although the ITV adaptations of a few years ago certainly tried. Persuasion (with Sally Hawkins) and Mansfield Park with Billie Piper were abysmal, but Northanger Abbey was wonderful.

Although not strictly a period drama, I also really enjoyed Lost in Austen which was a fresh take on P&P with the heroine finding a door in her bathroom which led to the Bennett's house. Really fun, witty and romantic.

I also really like the Catherine Cookson adaptations, especially Tilly Trotter and the Barbara Cartland ones (The Lady and the Highwayman, etc) are also good for a laugh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tudors is great it is not historically accurate atall but is good fun to watch :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if I should buy the 1995 (BBC) or 2007 (ITV) adaptation of Persuasion? I've just seen the 2007 DVD listed for only £3, as is Northanger Abbey.