Options

Sweaty overweight man wearing shorts on a plane

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    It was worst for me. I had a lovely seat with no one sitting next to me, and just before the doors closed on came a family of fatties (three of them at least). We are talking extremely overweight. Soon as it became clear the daughter was being put next to me I signalled to the steward, Without me saying anything He said "I know I will see what I can do". As nothing was done I suggested that I swap with one of the parents (who were sat apart). When I heard "its too late", I told them I wanted to get off or be moved as I could not sit next to the large girl (until that moment I was discreet about it). I was fortunate that the people n the aisle volunteered to swap their young son for me.

|I am not having a go at the fat girl, she probably knew no better

The golden age of calling people "fatties" not counting as "having a go at" them draws to a close...
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    The golden age of calling people "fatties" not counting as

Sorry. I have been told of for using that word before. I will refrain from its use.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was worst for me. I had a lovely seat with no one sitting next to me, and just before the doors closed on came a family of fatties (three of them at least). We are talking extremely overweight. Soon as it became clear the daughter was being put next to me I signalled to the steward, Without me saying anything He said "I know I will see what I can do". As nothing was done I suggested that I swap with one of the parents (who were sat apart). When I heard "its too late", I told them I wanted to get off or be moved as I could not sit next to the large girl (until that moment I was discreet about it). I was fortunate that the people n the aisle volunteered their young son to swap seats with me. They proably fel t upset for the girl as she was obviously uncomfortable with me making a scene about her weight..

You made such a scene about a girl's weight that a couple felt compelled enough to allow their young son to move away from them and next to a stranger? How lovely...
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was worst for me. I had a lovely seat with no one sitting next to me, and just before the doors closed on came a family of fatties (three of them at least). We are talking extremely overweight. Soon as it became clear the daughter was being put next to me I signalled to the steward, Without me saying anything He said "I know I will see what I can do". As nothing was done I suggested that I swap with one of the parents (who were sat apart). When I heard "its too late", I told them I wanted to get off or be moved as I could not sit next to the large girl (until that moment I was discreet about it). I was fortunate that the people n the aisle volunteered their young son to swap seats with me. They proably fel t upset for the girl as she was obviously uncomfortable with me making a scene about her weight..

I feel sorry for the parents that had no choice but to separate themselves from their son to placate you, just because you didn't want a 'fatty' sitting next to you.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Just returned from an unpleasent flight where I was sitting in the window seat with my wife next to me (as she prefers to sit away from the window). This left us with the perilous flight lottery of wondering who would get the seat next to her.

On this flight our jaws dropped in horror as a hugely overweight man squeezed himself into the seat next to my wife. He was wearing shorts and his digusting legs were dripping with sweat. My wife had to move herself practically onto my seat for these few seconds to avoid her own legs coming into contact with this sweaty mess.

I said to the man that did he really think shorts were an acceptable choice to wear when he knows full well that there is no way he could sit next to someone without making bodily contact with them. He said sorry, but it was his sheer lack of self awareness or respect for his fellow passangers in the first place that annoyed me.

As the flight was full moving to another seat was not an option. Of course, I swapped seats with my wife and had to endure 4 hours of sweaty man leg pressed firmly into my own and fat elbows protruding onto my seat and table. When I got up to use the toilet my own jeans were dripping wet down one side with HIS sweat (apologies if your eating). This is disgusting. I chose not to go further with any interaction with him as I was so annoyed I was worried that if I started I woukd'nt be able to hold my tounge. Let me add that this was not a budget airline where you are squeezed in like cattle no matter what size. This was an airline with a very nice spacious plane with ample comfort and legroom for "most" people.

While I understand that overweight people have a right to fly as much as anyone how can it be right that "their" body can result in the passenger next to then having a thoroughly horrible experience.

Rant over. Im off to burn my jeans lol.

you sound like a stroppy teenager and not very mature

I feel sorry for that man having to sit next to you for 4hrs

I am not even sure this happened, the story sounds made up so you can start a thread about "fat" people.

just because you have no dignity doesn't mean that he isn't entitled to any.

maybe next time you could pay for four seats, a row of three for yourself and another seat at the other end of the plane to let your wife have a break from you
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was worst for me. Soon as it became clear the daughter was being put next to me I signalled to the steward, Without me saying anything He said "I know I will see what I can do". As nothing was done I suggested that I swap with one of the parents (who were sat apart).volunteered their young son to swap s When I heard "its too late", I told them I wanted to get off or be moved as I could not sit next to the large girl (until that moment I was discreet about it). I was fortunate that the people n the aisle eats with me. They proably fel t upset for the girl as she was obviously uncomfortable with me making a scene about her weight..

Heavens above - so you were seriously thinking of walking off the plane if you couldn't be seated elsewhere ? You sound a right diva with your hissy fits. You have to grin and bear these things sometimes, it happens all the time on public transport.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Is this the low budget sequel to snakes on a plane?

I am so sick of these mfing shorts on this mfing plane!
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you think that poor girl felt after all this?
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    That's horrible but I don't believe he was sweating that much. Planes are not that hot and I doubt someone could be dripping of sweat just sitting down
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A similar thing happened to me on a train, and it was one of those old slam-door monstrosities that has really narrow seats with no arm rest. He stank too.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing to happen to me on a flight was when my seat was broken and the seat belt was loose and I had to sit in 1st class, what a different world! Champagne, free snacks, and a snotty passenger who complained that they paid a premium so that they wouldn't have to sit next to " them" with a nod to me meaning the plebs on the other side of the curtain

Ahhhh... flying First Class is awesome, everyone should try it at least once ;):blush:
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what should they do? Run the passengers by you to see if they meet with your approval?

Sneering pair
  • Options
    Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Is this the low budget sequel to snakes on a plane?

:D

Haha. I must admit I had the same thought! I can just seem them pitching it to Sam Jackson as we speak! ;)
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing to happen to me on a flight was when my seat was broken and the seat belt was loose and I had to sit in 1st class, what a different world! Champagne, free snacks, and a snotty passenger who complained that they paid a premium so that they wouldn't have to sit next to " them" with a nod to me meaning the plebs on the other side of the curtain

I call BS.

Let me guess, your rich benefactor who'd taken you under his wing because he realised that deep down you have a heart of gold then confronted this snob, bought every seat in the first class section and told the flight crew to give you as much champagne and as many snacks as you want?

It's funny how often people seem to encounter these uber-snobs who can't bear to spend a single second in the company of "the common folk" and just can't help but tell them so.

It's almost as if it's just a tired cliche trotted out by inexplicably embittered people to prove their own salt-of-the-earth credentials and try to engender solidarity.
  • Options
    Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Del: Why are you holding my hand?
    Neal: Where's your other hand?
    Del: Between two pillows...
    Neal: Those aren't pillows!
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a shame people who look different are pre-judged in life, when it's god awful human beings like you who should be receiving the disgust and contempt of others.

And as for the OP, he spends that much time contributing to the "best boobs" thread that I'd suggest his wife has more to worry about than sitting next to an overweight gentleman on a plane.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a tricky one really - plane seats are very narrow and you are very enclosed in so anyone overweight is going to feel uncomfortable themselves and also impact on the person sitting next to them. Add to that a lot of people wear shorts on a plane and it isn't nice but I still wouldn't say anything - I'd rather be uncomfortable for 4 hours than upset someone by making a fuss.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I remember a story when an overweight chap did that. Only problem being he was allocated 2 seats in different parts of the plane :D

That sounds like the punchline to a your momma joke.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be worse. A drunk guy sat beside me on q bus then threw up over me
  • Options
    Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    i saw something similar to this on internal flight in the U.S., minus the shorts and sweat.
    A very diminutive woman was seated two rows ahead of us, in the window seat.
    As the plane was still loading, a large woman, at least 28 to 30 stones, got on and attempted to sit next to the diminutive woman.
    This squashed diminutive woman up against the window, and not unnaturally she wasn't very happy.
    Apparently, judging from the slightly raised voices conversation, there wasn't a spare seat to be had, and eventually a land side supervisor came on the plane.
    She started off by asking diminutive woman, would she take an alternative flight, for which she'd be given $X worth of flight tickets if she agreed, and bumped up to business class on the alternative flight
    It took her a millisecond to say yes.
    The supervisor then said to large woman, you now have two alternatives, you can take this flight, but you'll be charged for two seats, or you can get off, be reimbursed for your ticket and then seek an alternative airline, but be advised, if you ever wish to travel with this airline in the future, you'll have to travel business class, or purchase two seats in coach.
    I felt sorry for her, she got off.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Just returned from an unpleasent flight where I was sitting in the window seat with my wife next to me (as she prefers to sit away from the window). This left us with the perilous flight lottery of wondering who would get the seat next to her.

On this flight our jaws dropped in horror as a hugely overweight man squeezed himself into the seat next to my wife. He was wearing shorts and his digusting legs were dripping with sweat. My wife had to move herself practically onto my seat for these few seconds to avoid her own legs coming into contact with this sweaty mess.

I said to the man that did he really think shorts were an acceptable choice to wear when he knows full well that there is no way he could sit next to someone without making bodily contact with them. He said sorry, but it was his sheer lack of self awareness or respect for his fellow passangers in the first place that annoyed me.

As the flight was full moving to another seat was not an option. Of course, I swapped seats with my wife and had to endure 4 hours of sweaty man leg pressed firmly into my own and fat elbows protruding onto my seat and table. When I got up to use the toilet my own jeans were dripping wet down one side with HIS sweat (apologies if your eating). This is disgusting. I chose not to go further with any interaction with him as I was so annoyed I was worried that if I started I woukd'nt be able to hold my tounge. Let me add that this was not a budget airline where you are squeezed in like cattle no matter what size. This was an airline with a very nice spacious plane with ample comfort and legroom for "most" people.

While I understand that overweight people have a right to fly as much as anyone how can it be right that "their" body can result in the passenger next to then having a thoroughly horrible experience.

Rant over. Im off to burn my jeans lol.

Was it a Lufthansa flight? That's the airline I see the most obese people on. Terrible experience anyway for you you have my sympathies.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw something similar to this on internal flight in the U.S., minus the shorts and sweat.
    A very diminutive woman was seated two rows ahead of us, in the window seat.
    As the plane was still loading, a large woman, at least 28 to 30 stones, got on and attempted to sit next to the diminutive woman.
    This squashed diminutive woman up against the window, and not unnaturally she wasn't very happy.
    Apparently, judging from the slightly raised voices conversation, there wasn't a spare seat to be had, and eventually a land side supervisor came on the plane.
    She started off by asking diminutive woman, would she take an alternative flight, for which she'd be given $X worth of flight tickets if she agreed, and bumped up to business class on the alternative flight
    It took her a millisecond to say yes.
    The supervisor then said to large woman, you now have two alternatives, you can take this flight, but you'll be charged for two seats, or you can get off, be reimbursed for your ticket and then seek an alternative airline, but be advised, if you ever wish to travel with this airline in the future, you'll have to travel business class, or purchase two seats in coach.
    I felt sorry for her, she got off.

that is awful! is that standard then in the U.S if you are bigger than size 0 you have to buy two seats?
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Probably bored because he's ran out of boobs on TV to drull over.

I'll let you get back to your various threads on Star Wars and Star Trek haha !

The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's horrible but I don't believe he was sweating that much. Planes are not that hot and I doubt someone could be dripping of sweat just sitting down

Yes your right, I made it up...............for no reason at all. Of course I did.

Some people !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    you sound like a stroppy teenager and not very mature

I feel sorry for that man having to sit next to you for 4hrs

I am not even sure this happened, the story sounds made up so you can start a thread about "fat" people.

just because you have no dignity doesn't mean that he isn't entitled to any.

maybe next time you could pay for four seats, a row of three for yourself and another seat at the other end of the plane to let your wife have a break from you

Thats very rude of you to call them fat.