BT Price Hike.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
Forum Member
As so many of us are I am on limited income and have the minimum package to enable me to keep up with the World.

I very occasionally use an extra gb on my broadband service, till now I have been charged £1 for that misdemeanor.

After careful reading of the latest missive from the suits at BT, I now find that if I do that in future it will cost me £5.

It seems that they are taking the lead from the Banks and penalizing those least able to afford it.

I look forward to the day my local exchange is unbundled, then at least there will be some fair competition.

Comments

• AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arirsole wrote: »
    As so many of us are I am on limited income and have the minimum package to enable me to keep up with the World.

I very occasionally use an extra gb on my broadband service, till now I have been charged £1 for that misdemeanor.

After careful reading of the latest missive from the suits at BT, I now find that if I do that in future it will cost me £5.

It seems that they are taking the lead from the Banks and penalizing those least able to afford it.

I look forward to the day my local exchange is unbundled, then at least there will be some fair competition.
    There are others who can provide you with broadband. The exchange doesn't have to be unbundled, it just means that any new provider has to use BT's kit rather than their own.
    Have a look around at providers who are 'unlimited' or who don't charge you if you go over.
    Plusnet might be a good one to look at, or ditch BT and get the whole package from the PO like I did. line rental, calls (even to mobiles at weekends) and unlimited B/Band all in for £25/month.
  • Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately although you see it as hitting those on the lowest incomes its not the case.

If you're on a low income then yes you need to be more aware of what you spend. So ensuring you don't go over the limit should be your first step.

Just live within your means an you canhave a perfectly acceptable standard of living.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    You will be charged £5 for the 1GB you go over but not the next 4GB.

So if you're going to go over by 1GB then you might as well use another 4GB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Mark125 wrote: »
    Unfortunately although you see it as hitting those on the lowest incomes its not the case.

If you're on a low income then yes you need to be more aware of what you spend. So ensuring you don't go over the limit should be your first step.

Just live within your means an you canhave a perfectly acceptable standard of living.

Thank you for your unnecessary advice, I do live within my means, I am not, and never have been on benefit of any kind. My post was to underline the changes that BT have made to their charges and point out that those changes impact on the poorer end of the customer base.

I feel that the changes are a deliberate attempt, as they have done with the Phone charges, to encourage more people to take up unlimited contracts.
    Forum Member
    MeanMint wrote: »
    You will be charged £5 for the 1GB you go over but not the next 4GB.

So if you're going to go over by 1GB then you might as well use another 4GB

Would you apply the same logic if your Greengrocer decided to do the same with the price of his potatoes, I doubt it, you would probably use a different Greengrocer, as I will with BT.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    or ditch BT and get the whole package from the PO like I did. line rental, calls (even to mobiles at weekends) and unlimited B/Band all in for £25/month.

I can second that as I did exactly the same, I ditched BT and got the whole package from the PO and and my monthly bill is nearly 50% cheaper than what I used to pay to BT, more or less, for the same service.

I used to pay £24.99 just for BT broadband now I pay £25 including the line rental!

As well as free calls to mobiles, you also get free international calls up to 40 countries at weekends.
    Forum Member
    There are others who can provide you with broadband. The exchange doesn't have to be unbundled, it just means that any new provider has to use BT's kit rather than their own.
    Have a look around at providers who are 'unlimited' or who don't charge you if you go over.
    Plusnet might be a good one to look at, or ditch BT and get the whole package from the PO like I did. line rental, calls (even to mobiles at weekends) and unlimited B/Band all in for £25/month.

Thanks Appleseed and Young Turks, Just off to the Post Office.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your unnecessary advice, I do live within my means, I am not, and never have been on benefit of any kind. My post was to underline the changes that BT have made to their charges and point out that those changes impact on the poorer end of the customer base.

Good point well made. What is your current DL allowance from BT may I ask?
    Forum Member

I am on Option 1 which has a 10gb allowance.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then why mention that OP is on low income and then yak on about hitting the ones on lowest income.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airsole, do you need a higher limit, what limit are you looking for. Are you subscribing to sky or virgin for TV ? Who is your telephone with ?

Virtually all telecoms and TV companies are offering some sort of bundle these days, if you have services else where it will be worth at least looking at them.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Then why mention that OP is on low income and then yak on about hitting the ones on lowest income.

Who's 'yakking' on, I didn't mention a thing about the OP's income.

OP - To force you to take an extra 50% of your DL allowance is a bit OTT, I've noticed that other ISPs are selling extra DL allowance in blocks rather than per GB as used to be the norm.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

Please note in my original post there is no mention of low income, it says limited, there is a difference, it also fails to mention poor, it says those that can least afford it.

My main interest is value for money, and an uncomplicated price structure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please note in my original post there is no mention of low income, it says limited, there is a difference, it also fails to mention poor, it says those that can least afford it.

So what is the difference between poor and those least able to afford it ?

Anyway, have you looked at my query on the next post ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's 'yakking' on, I didn't mention a thing about the OP's income.

Sorry, replying to the wrong post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member

Hey arirsole - what are you getting charged for option 1 ?
    According to the Bt site Option 1 seems to be

£14.49 with weekend calls

But for £3 extra you goto 40gig usage and probably no worries about running up bills. Just a suggestion. Looks like you are tipping the scales of being a light user so maybe better to get peace of mind ?
    Forum Member
    scotty2808 wrote: »
    Hey arirsole - what are you getting charged for option 1 ?
    According to the Bt site Option 1 seems to be

£14.49 with weekend calls

But for £3 extra you goto 40gig usage and probably no worries about running up bills. Just a suggestion. Looks like you are tipping the scales of being a light user so maybe better to get peace of mind ?

Many thanks for your suggestion, I have just come off the phone after a long conversation with a BT and have been advised that as I get my present BB1 package for £12.99 after various discounts, they can only upgrade me to BB2 at £20.99.
    An increase of £8.00.
    The convoluted way these charges are arrived at only reinforces my wish for a more transparent pricing structure.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Thanks Appleseed and Young Turks, Just off to the Post Office.

But the Standard Post Office Broadband which is about the same price as BT only allows you 5GB download. So you will end up in the same boat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I know you're going with the PO OP (:)) but to whoever suggested Plusnet somewhere up there they do the same thing, £5 for a block of 5GB added to your bill when you go over - even if it's just a little bit.

For someone on Value that's almost doubling your price...
    Forum Member
    MeanMint wrote: »
    But the Standard Post Office Broadband which is about the same price as BT only allows you 5GB download. So you will end up in the same boat.

At the moment for 10gb and phone I pay BT £25.69

PO offers unlimited BB and phone for £25.50.

If I want 40gb and phone from BT it will cost £32.78.

The PO contract is 12 months, the BT contract is 18months.

Sadly I am in contract with BT till April next year, but I will use the remaining time to research further.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plusnet also charge £5.00 if you go over the usage allowance.
  • thorvertonianthorvertonian Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post Office FUP is anything the deem unreasonable, which is shocking, they also reserve the right to block any digital communication they deem in breach of FUP, which again is shocking!
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post Office FUP is anything the deem unreasonable, which is shocking, they also reserve the right to block any digital communication they deem in breach of FUP, which again is shocking!

And? Unless you're into anything illegal there's nothing to worry about is there?
    I once asked what the limit was on 'unlimited' and was told that once you exceed 100GB for a 2nd time in a six month period they send you an email suggesting that you might perhaps want to ease up a bit.
    I've had no problems of any kind and I've had a flawless service with a steady speed of just under 7Mbit
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plusnet also charge £5.00 if you go over the usage allowance.
    That's unsurprising seeing as they're owned by BT.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the P.O. OK for BB and Phone, or do they have bad press?

With BT at the mo, have a MAC, not certain where to go
    exchange only has the standard ADSL no LLU's etc