Options

GMAIL: new compose on android

'm trying to use NEW compose in gmail on an archos 101 G9 android tablet. (the OLD compose worked fine..)However, it's not working. When i press compose it opens the new email box, when i press on "To or recipients" it opens the keyboard and sometimes lists contacts to choose from after i type the first letter (on the account that has contacts - see below), but other times goes straight into google search putting what i've typed in the search box. As i've set up a new gmail account to test this and don't have any contacts to list, it takes what i've typed straight into google search.
If i get past that hurdle (by testing on another account that does have contacts) i seem to be able to type the subject in ok (normal way - pressing on that box, keyboard appears and i type it in)
However, when i go into the text box and press there, the keyboard doesn't appear so i can't type a message in. If i expand the message box to full size by pressing the X then pressing in the text area it sometimes opens the keyboard, but usually it doesn't. I can sometimes enter the message text if i do that first, before putting in the recipient, but then often it won't let me put the recipient in. It's rare that i can enter all 3 - recipient/subject and message text.
A similar thing happens when i use the NEW reply - i hit reply, it opens the message box, i click on the text box of the message, but no keyboard to type in. It's a real pain as i want to use gmail on the android..

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use the Gmail app?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    thanks.. not really used to android and was going the windows route - www.google.com/gmail.etc

i went to install the gmail app but it says it's already installed. But.. i can't find it! No icon, no shortcut, can't find it anywhere. Any idea how to initiate?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    further to that - i clicked on the installed button, and it seemed to start downloading - it said it was checking compatibility, then said that was ok. It came up with another dialogue box with an install option. I clicked install.
    it said "this app will be downloaded to your device shortly". That's it - no mention of when, no sign of anything at all happening, no progress bar, nothing. is that typical android?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, this might be a silly question but have you found the 'all apps' drawer? Your homescreens dont show everything on your device, you need to touch something like looks like a little grid to bring up the app drawer.

From there you can press and hold, to put things onto your homescreen.

I'm not sure about the Archos unit, some Androids don't have Gmail. But there are help forums for it and you might be better trying there. The other thing is, do you have an 'email' app? You can set that up for Gmail using instructions here: http://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en#ts=1665018 and choosing IMAP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other thing is you might have more luck in the Tablets and ereaders forum here, someone else is bound to have used the Archos unit.