Options

1.43pm: Aisleyne is asking Cristian about his accent. #BBUKLive

2»

Comments

• Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Miss.D wrote: »

Yes it is, unfortunately because it is fake. People are like sheep, copying accents.

My sister used to live in London; that accent is a modern day phenomenon and NOT REAL.

Here is Manchester people used to copy Liam Gallagher's accent, but exaggerate it, and I do not mean in a mocking way, I mean they act like it is normal. Let's go out in the suuuuuunshiiiiine. People do make up accents which others copy. It is like an epidemic in London now; pathetic.

Get Danny out

OMG - surely if your sister who used to live in London says it's not true that makes it a fact does it?

For the record - I am a Londoner who has lived in the North for almost thirty years. When I left London all that time ago it was just beginning to take hold - it's common place now - even kids in the North speak like it. The world is a smaller place now - there are lots of things that influence the way people speak from all over the place.

Don't listen to your sister read up on it. It's called MLE it is an accepted and recognised way of speaking amongst the youth of today.
  • Options
    Miss.DMiss.D Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is my motto. I live by it and I will die by it!

I had not seen it before so it made me chuckle. :D
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    course accents evolve, just not as fast as Cristian's :D

and get Danny out!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kids from the South-East also spoke like Liam Gallagher when Oasis were popular, remember Kevin & Perry? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    course accents evolve, just not as fast as Cristian's :D

and get Danny out!!!!!!!

Christian - I don;t have an explanation for his accent!

And I m feeling the Danny love tonight. :D
  • Options
    VichyTenVichyTen Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Miss.D wrote: »
    Well, I lived in London my whole life until two years ago. Not everyone speaks that way but it is very common. I don't speak that way but when I grew up it was very white and then things started changing during my teens and it became more multicultural in my area. Don't you think accents evolve? If you are brought up in areas which are predominately black then it will affect that way you speak, no? When people move abroad don't they start losing their accents are a long period of time? I am no linguistic expert, just little things I have read about children developing accents of those around them - i.e parents, etc. I am sure there will be those who put accents on but not all, that's all I mean. :D

Exactly. I've lived in London my whole life. I'm sure if I moved up north surrounded my friends with a particular northern accent then I'd start pronouncing things differently. There's also mirroring, when we pick up words people from people we like/associate with the most.

The only thing I would say is that Christian's accent seems more an affectation than Aisleyne's. Hers is more consistent because she obviously knows herself. Sorry had to get that one in there :)
  • Options
    MelaxMelax Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever we think of Cristian, she genuinely spoke like that at the time. She's, I believe, a native of a part of inner city London where most working class young people, regardless of race, speak a bit "ghetto". I believe it's called MLE.

I was born and bred in "inner city London", and lived in various other parts of "inner city London" my entire life. I (and practically everyone I ever hung around with and chose as friends) have never spoken in this ridiculous chavvy way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melax wrote: »
    I was born and bred in "inner city London", and lived in various other parts of "inner city London" my entire life. I (and practically everyone I ever hung around with and chose as friends) have never spoken in this ridiculous chavvy way.

you must be from Hampstead, St Johns Wood or Fulham? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I can't imagine what part of London you're from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VichyTen wrote: »
    Exactly. I've lived in London my whole life. I'm sure if I moved up north surrounded my friends with a particular northern accent then I'd start pronouncing things differently. There's also mirroring, when we pick up words people from people we like/associate with the most.

The only thing I would say is that Christian's accent seems more an affectation than Aisleyne's. Hers is more consistent because she obviously knows herself. Sorry had to get that one in there :)

People only lose an accent if they CHOOSE to, or were 5 years old when they made the move oop north. Explain the many people that live in an area for decades and NEVER lose their accent, i.e. the many, many proud Scots, Irish etc that live in most parts of England. To change your accent as an adult just to "fit in" shows an incredible lack of "knowing yourself", and a propensity to be easily led and a bit of a sheep.
    You can either be a Tim Roth, moved to America in his twenties and still, 30 years later, has his London accent perfectly in place, or you can be a Joss Stone, who went to America for a fortnight and completely lost any hint of her British accent after only 2 days. One is a respected actor, the other is a ridiculed wannabe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine what part of London you're from.

Same part as Harriet, who funnily enough doesn't talk in this laughable "ethnic" way either.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from South East London, on the border with Kent. I have what I consider to be a standard, plain Southern English accent, but I hear plenty of younger people who speak with an MLE accent.

With regards to people keeping or losing accents when they move, my dad was eight when he moved down south from Lancashire. He lost his northern accent but his parents and three siblings all kept theirs. I don't think there is a set rule on what happens with an accent when you move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you know the one who I find interesting.

John Barrowman - born in the UK - Scotland - Glasgow. Moved to the US as a child.

I love his accent - it's a kind of English American hybrid/Mid Atlantic but .............his sister is the same. The thing is - when they get together they both automatically break out into a broad Glaswegian accent. I saw them on an interview once - I found it fascinating.

Sorry - bit OT but - I was kind of thinking out loud there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Same part as Harriet, who funnily enough doesn't talk in this laughable "ethnic" way either.

What is laughable about an ethnic accent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is laughable about an ethnic accent?

The bits of it that make people laugh. Ya get me blud?
  • Options
    VichyTenVichyTen Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    People only lose an accent if they CHOOSE to, or were 5 years old when they made the move oop north. Explain the many people that live in an area for decades and NEVER lose their accent, i.e. the many, many proud Scots, Irish etc that live in most parts of England. To change your accent as an adult just to "fit in" shows an incredible lack of "knowing yourself", and a propensity to be easily led and a bit of a sheep.
    You can either be a Tim Roth, moved to America in his twenties and still, 30 years later, has his London accent perfectly in place, or you can be a Joss Stone, who went to America for a fortnight and completely lost any hint of her British accent after only 2 days. One is a respected actor, the other is a ridiculed wannabe.

We'll have to agree to disagree. People are different. To make it as black and white as you choose or you don't is a bit simplistic.

Maybe for some it is a conscious decision. In a profession like acting I dare say Tim Roth "retaining" his Brit accent may have been a specific career choice. South Londoner Gary Oldman by the way had to relearn how to speak with a Brit accent for tinker tailor. If he chose to speak in an American way way couldn't he revert back?

For others, who are simply living rather than constantly monitoring how they speak, their accent will naturally change as they're exposed to new people, environments etc.

When I was at school I imagine I dropped my "t"s a lot more than I do now. Was it a conscious decision or something I did to fit in? No. Simply sheer exposure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really do not believe that at all. That is saying everyone changes via choice. I am not saying all people lose their accents entirely but some do, and it will be a constant blend and not a sudden change. Some people are more susceptible to accent change than others. And an accent changing when living abroad is understandable if you have been living in a country for so many years - sometimes it does not always change completely but it does soften. My mum still has a very italian accent but it is much softer than when she came to the UK 40 years ago, whereas my father's is very strong because he did not really integrate and work with British people as much as she did. She is not purposefully speaking with a softer accent, she is herself. My uncle came over to the UK when he was three and his accent is completely London now, he grew up here and therefore lost his Italian accent, not because he chose to but because it happened.

There are people who do choose to change, either by themselves or they may have elocution lessons or whatnot, but i don't think that applies to all people.
  • Options
    jack_blairjack_blair Posts: 17,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, reminds be of this old BBLB classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEfMb3W4HN4

Ah, those were the days.

Wow
    Was that Aishleyne in the clip ?
    And the guy with Dermot was right
    its OK to speak like that if you're 14 and hanging around the shopping centre. :D
  • Options
    WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »

I see from Wee Jinty's link that Aisleyne is from Regents Park yeah, so Cristian is just across the Euston Road, they are almost living in eachothers yards :D

Haha... 'good friends we have, good friends we have lost along the way, yeah, in a government yard in Camden Town' :D

(Tbf to Aisleyne she was from the Regents Park council estate, which may be a just few hundred yards from the listed John Nash mansions of the Outer Circle... but is a million miles away in socio-economic terms)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes .......Harriet made it pretty clear that she wasn't a big fan of mutli culturalism I don't supposes she moves in very 'integrated' circles.