ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Paid - Bitdefender
    Free - Avast or AVG
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconding the above, also Malwarebytes is good to have as Malware and Spyware are more common than viruses these days.

Especially if your son is into naughty websites!

Don't bother with Norton or McAfee, not only do you have to pay every year for updates, they tend to give the most false positives and they don't play well with firewalls either (in my experience, at least.)
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    Free - Avast or AVG
    I've got the paid Avast on all my machines, and it's pretty good. It has a feature which checks for common software that's been updated and will notify you to install the update. There's also a 'sandbox' feature which spots if a program does something unexpected or strange when it's installing or running (I pack a lot of my programs using UPX as they frequently start faster, and the first time they run it will sandbox them while it checks they're not nasty).

I'll add Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) to the list. It's not an antivirus program per se, as in it doesn't run on startup, but it's more for attempting to recover or disinfect a system when you've been let down by the standard software. You can also use it double check that a system is clean without needing to install another AV product.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Norton's myself. I like to have the top thing, because of what I do, (I do not take care) and they do a great service on the web if you get caught. But it costs quite a bit and if I had to economise would be one of the first things to go.

If you do take reasonable care, the stuff that comes with Windows works fine.

Just a word of warning though. If you do get caught out, they can be a bit tricky to get rid of, and a great nuisance, and you will perhaps be willing to pay a bit to stop it happening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone recommend a good one for laptop that was given to my son

I've used Microsoft Security for years. It's free. I have never had a virus.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Check if your ISP or bank offers free AV.

Barclays offer free Kaspersky for online banking customers.
    I think Virgin offer a version of F-Secure.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the free Avira, its highly recommended. :)

https://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    It depends which version of Windows you have on your son's laptop to a certain extent, but to be totally frank, it doesn't really matter which AV you use, as long as it is unobtrusive, works hand in hand with the firewall, doesn't conflict with any other programs, consumes minimal system resources, is easy to set up default actions, and gives clear messages when warning about possible threats.

I use MSE with W7 for exactly the reasons outlined above and in addition to that everyone's favourite, Malwarebytes free version.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Microsoft Essentials and remain clean. I also use Malwarebytes. I use CCleaner weekly to clean out all the crap.