Options

What is Barcelona like?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
Forum Member
✭✭
The boyfriend sprung a surprise on me and we are going for the weekend.
Two nights a few meals a few drinks and errr:D

Anywho is it the city of dreams or nightmares?

Comments

• Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SeeEmma wrote: »

Dunno, whats yer boyfriend look like? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never been so cant help there - im sure some friendly poster will be along shortly.

im not so sure your other half will be planning on seeing much more of the city than the inside of your hotel room though.... :p
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I've been twice and think it's a great city.
    Don't forget to check out Parc Guell, La Pedrera and Sagrada Familia. All touristy, but great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    If I am ever going anywhere I always check it out on Google Street view :D Give you an idea of what it looks like, anyway. Some places look a lot different to what you see in the brochures, too...

Have a browse around
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful. Good for skating :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno, whats yer boyfriend look like? :p

Just like Tom Cruise.http://i54.tinypic.com/1p6y9t.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing OP!

Not wanting to hijack, but what about Madrid? Going there in a few days for the first time can't wait :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I am ever going anywhere I always check it out on Google Street view :D Give you an idea of what it looks like, anyway. Some places look a lot different to what you see in the brochures, too...

Have a browse around

Looks nice.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres lots of great art galleries about there too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you are only going for a weekend then there will be plenty of touristy things to keep you busy - the Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, the Aquarium and IMAX, Poble Espanyol de Montjuic, the Picasso and Miro Museums and the Magic Fountain of Montjuic which is a lovely water display with lights and music. Barcelona is a very beautiful city and quite easy to to explore. If you had a bit more time a lovely seaside town that is nearby is Vilanova i la Geltrú.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Really nice city - lots to do in a weekend! You can get a weekend pass for the metro which is cheap and a really good way of getting around - recommend it.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the good stuff is easy walking distance.
    Lovely city.

Go to a good tapas bar, feed each other, then go back to your hotel room reeking of garlic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I started a Barcelona thread in advice a few weeks ago (we're going on Sunday!) and if you search in there, there's loads of advice about what to do/see/where to eat etc.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the most amazing city in the world!:D So much to see and do... I've lived there and visited many times since, going back for a week in October, can't wait:D
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Fabulous place. great for just strolling around. We've been a couple of times, but haven't seen half of what's on offer. I'd add to the recommendations of Parc Guell, the Sagrada Familla and the Picasso Museum. If you're going for the weekend, and you can, I'd suggest the Camp Nou if Barca are at home, even if you don't like football.
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will agree with the others that it is a fantastic city - I recommend lunch on the floating restaurant in the harbour; it's not cheap, but a fantastic way to while away an afternoon. The Tapas bars on the main drag tend to be rip off places, but off the main drag there a numerous good value ones.

One downside - it is the pickpocket capital of the world.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is beautiful. However there are some professional beggars about at the Sagrada Familia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Expensive.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an amazing city, but full of thieves
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SeeEmma wrote: »
    The boyfriend sprung a surprise on me and we are going for the weekend.
    Two nights a few meals a few drinks and errr:D

Barcelona is fab, yes there is an petty crime element but basic common sense can deal with that. Don't let it put you off!

Not wanting to hijack, but what about Madrid? Going there in a few days for the first time can't wait :cool:

Madrid has fewer famous "sights" than Barcelona, but is very interesting in itself. I wish I was going!
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its an amazing city, but full of thieves
    And one legged men ,!I have never seen as many men with one leg as I did in Barcelona!
    I agree , watch your pockets . Having said all that I loved Barcelona and its a fab city .
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    And one legged men ,!I have never seen as many men with one leg as I did in Barcelona!
    I agree , watch your pockets . Having said all that I loved Barcelona and its a fab city .

You see them in Bulgaria.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have a browse around
    I do that as well, although in my case it's to make sure I don't get lost when I arrive :o
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not go to Barcelona and stay in your hotel room OP :eek:

As sexy as the BF may be it would be a terrible waste to go to such a beautiful city and not see some of the sights...

Barcelona is by far my fave city... I love the place.

Grab yourself a guide at the airport. My highlights were Gaudi Park and the Sagrada Famialia. We also went to see the fountain's (can't remember their name?) that change to lights and music.

The harbour area was lovely when we went and you can even do a cable car ride over the city!

I am well jealous OP - Enjoy !!
  • Options
    Mint_TeaMint_Tea Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    barecelona, is without a doubt my most favourite city in the world. it has the most beautiful gothic architecture. Do one of those city bus tour things, you can hop on and hop off as many times as you like and it's the best way to see everything. avoid eating at the cafes and restaurants on la ramblas as it's expensive and certainly not the best food you can find. guide books normally have good recommendations for local places with great food and a wonderful buzz. I can't say that i felt there was an overt threat of pickpockets, but if you take precautions such as keeping things in zipped pockets and wearing your bag across your body, then you should be fine anyway. make sure you try some traditional tapas too. Its a lovely place, enjoy!