Options

private eye

humehume Posts: 2,088
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i recently picked up a copy after many years and thoroughly enjoyed it. who else reads the eye?

p.s. have any of you contributed to the people in the section 'eye need'?

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read it for many, many years and no, I've never contributed to eye need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I bought it recently having not done so for ages. An old work colleague was mentioned in it ( some story about Newham Council).

I have wondered about the Eye Need thing. Has anyone ever got money this way, though I can only assume they have otherwise they wouldn't bother with the column. But what idiots would give out their bank details in a mag.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the gnome giftmart.
    Back seat sat nav:
    Your regular sat nav says turn left on the a27. Your backseat sat nav says, I wouldn't do that I would turn right at junction 6 and cut through on the b597.
    I think the royal wedding countdown clock is real.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    I love Private Eye and have been a subscriber for years. Of course the main benefit of being a subscriber is that if I'm ever offended I can cancel my subscription :D

There are a few things which I'm not so keen on at the moment, but generally it's a fantastic magazine. I do wish someone would mention to MD that there is an NHS OUTSIDE Bristol though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »
    i recently picked up a copy after many years and thoroughly enjoyed it. who else reads the eye?

p.s. have any of you contributed to the people in the section 'eye need'?

You are Ian Hislop trying to boost circulation and I claim my £100! ;)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to confess I normally just read this in the supermarket.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I pick it up sometimes in the newsagents. I mainly like the Streets of Shame page as it has all the inside news on the media. Has so juicey stories about "Dirty" Des(of OK Magazine, Daily Star, etc) regularly in there! I also find the headmaster's report quite funny now.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been a subscriber for 30 years. It's a great mag.

Lord Gnome has even been known to send me a tenner occasionally for misprints I have sent him from the national media.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I buy it regularly, but it offends me no end that most supermarkets stock it in 'mens interest' 'men and motoring' sections etc how bloody sexist!

I always read in particular order....

Streets of shame
    Hackwatch
    Pseuds corner
    Letters

Then its open game......

Hate that the number crunching is almost always unreferenced, which deter me from requoting.

Love the baseball-capped regular ( shurely shome doepplganger) who appears to be shielding a similarly clad young lady.

I read all the classifieds hoping that there will be an amazing career move, alas not yet. Amazes me that eye needs rarely put an email address, and would amaze me more that anyone would think to donate to anyone anonymously.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye is often the only source for circulating stories - well known to journalists - but other newspapers won't print because not well enough confirmed.

Good on them. A free press is essential to democracy.

Obviously, they'll occasionally get it wrong, with libel actions following ........ and journalists are notoriously ignorant about all science/technology issues .........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Just a tip, if you like private eye have a look at these two:

The Jackdaw, a Private Eye for the art world, very small scale but funny:

http://www.newsstand.co.uk/101-Humour-and-Satire-Magazines/13866-Subscribe-to-THE-JACKDAW-Magazine-Subscription.aspx

Amusingly enough I've forgotten the second one....
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Casy wrote: »
    You are Ian Hislop trying to boost circulation and I claim my £100! ;)

The circulation of the Eye Jan-June 2010 was 207,680 according to official ABC figures
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »

....I have wondered about the Eye Need thing. Has anyone ever got money this way, though I can only assume they have otherwise they wouldn't bother with the column. But what idiots would give out their bank details in a mag.

I've thought about that, maybe they just open an account purely for that purpose. Might be worth trying...
  • Options
    Paul89Paul89 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I bought it recently having not done so for ages. An old work colleague was mentioned in it ( some story about Newham Council).

I have wondered about the Eye Need thing. Has anyone ever got money this way, though I can only assume they have otherwise they wouldn't bother with the column. But what idiots would give out their bank details in a mag.

What on earth do you think anyone can do with a bank sort code and account without the name and address of the account holder? Except pay money in, of course.
  • Options
    SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Eye can be hit and miss but I still buy it regularly. I got a £10 cheque for a "Funny Old World" submission, I was so thrilled I carried it around for ages so I could show people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Eye is often the only source for circulating stories - well known to journalists - but other newspapers won't print because not well enough confirmed.

Good on them. A free press is essential to democracy.

Obviously, they'll occasionally get it wrong, with libel actions following ........ and journalists are notoriously ignorant about all science/technology issues .........

And so this is why it's so hilarious that their circulation department try and stop us selling copies at Newsstand! If you don't laugh you surely end up crying.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea why that would be, but of course, there's a small articles "selection" at their website, and u can subscribe for the complete edition .........