Options

Dogs Killed in China and Served up

Comments

• Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you would if they kept them in appalling conditions before hand before killing them horribly wouldn't you?

Of course I already said about chickens and the horrible way we keep animals.
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as we eat animals we can not condem them for it. I will however condemn brutality and torture, which is what I understand to be happening here. No excuse for that at all. Another reason I would never want to visit China.

Visiting China was one of the best experiences of my life. I don't think I ate any dogmeat, if I did we weren't told, but I don't remember seeing any dogs running around either.

Whatever, they have a different culture but most of the people are really interested in the western world and its culture. Ive never seen so many cell phones in my life. And I never felt more like a celebrity because where I went there was little tourism so most of the Chinese had never seen a "white" woman much less an American. It was a very surreal experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The people were beautiful and extremely friendly.
  • Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    No different to eating sheep or pigs, tbh. Nom nom.

For some reason we only seem to be bothered about animals if they're cute or domesticated, hence the efforts to save the panda, a species so ****ing useless it can't even be arsed to breed, instead of something actually useful (and crucial to the world) like bees.

But it is different. Are animals skinned alive in this country? Are they beaten to death with bamboo canes? No. It's barbaric (not that you would actually give a sh!t judging what you type)...

I know the Chinese eat anything with a pulse but for the love of god, just slaughter them as quick and as humanely as possible. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadCatLady wrote: »
    It's not necessarily the fact that they eat dogs though, it's the conditions they're been kept which I find disgusting and have an issue with. I am aware that animals in this country are sometimes treated just as abhorrently, however. I just don't think that the excuse of 'it's a cultural issue' means it should be ignored.

This, we have laws to prtect animals and whilst they can be can be broken by people, we do have things in place to ensure animal welfare.

Some countries just do not care about the wlefare of anyone or anything and i find them quite shameful.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all good honest protein. be doing it here soon if "the crisis" continues .......
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bridgetb wrote: »
    But it is different. Are animals skinned alive in this country? Are they beaten to death with bamboo canes? No. It's barbaric (not that you would actually give a sh!t judging what you type)...

I know the Chinese eat anything with a pulse but for the love of god, just slaughter them as quick and as humanely as possible. :mad:

Yes you can find several videos of animal abuse from the UK online.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

but it is illegal.

We will always have arseholes that break the law but as a society we do have laws that protect other mammals from torture and brutality. Our society is admirable, it is just some within it are scum.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not upto date on Chinese animal law. Maybe skinning animals alive is illegal there too. My point is dont judge an entire nation based on a few horror videos.
  • Options
    TheSwordTheSword Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not upto date on Chinese animal law. Maybe skinning animals alive is illegal there too. My point is dont judge an entire nation based on a few horror videos.

Exactly, because if they did, I don't know what the heck they'd think of us!
  • Options
    RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Summerbunny... people in this country kill & eat rabbits :cry:

Even the thought of an Innocent Rabbit being killed just for food is disgusting to me :(:cry:, Rabbits are lovely trusting animals, I have one and I'd be lost without him.

Regarding this Article, the one picture of the dog looking sad, crushed in a box with his legs in the air with other deceased dogs is such a sad photo. :( You knew looking into his eyes, he knew what would happen to him. :(
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    bear meat is sold in Finland. I've seen tins of the stuff being sold in airports. It was quite expensive at about £10 for a small tin IIRC.

As for animal welfare and well being, the concept just doesn't seem to register over there. Why does it register over here? Whilst in Hong Kong, I've seen toads skinned alive and chickens beheaded. I've even seen a big metre long fish pulled out of a tank, split lenghways along its top and folded open like a book showing it's gaping half jaws and beating heart. It's just normal over there. Don't forget the Japanese also butcher their fish alive too. I saw a quick clip on TV while back where they served the (still alive) butchered fish with half it's body missing to the diner.

Maybe if you want to change perceptions over there, try exporting talking animal films over there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They eat everything from aadvarks to zebras over there.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it register over here? Whilst in Hong Kong, I've seen toads skinned alive and chickens beheaded.
    I think the point is these animals are not very intelligent or close to us genetically. Dogs & cats (& seals) are the closest relatives to us after primates, just as killing & eating monkeys or apes seems wrong, killing dogs or cats seems doubly wrong to me as they have formed a close bond to humans over tens of thousands of years, in which (in dogs cases) they have protected us & our children from harm, kept us warm, hunted with us, fetched for us, become sensitive to our diseases & emotions. The eating of dogs & cats in China is an aberration that occurred relatively recently because of periods of mass starvation, it is not a particularly natural thing to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    I think the point is these animals are not very intelligent or close to us genetically. Dogs & cats (& seals) are the closest relatives to us after primates, just as killing & eating monkeys or apes seems wrong, killing dogs or cats seems doubly wrong to me as they have formed a close bond to humans over tens of thousands of years, in which (in dogs cases) they have protected us & our children from harm, kept us warm, hunted with us, fetched for us, become sensitive to our diseases & emotions. The eating of dogs & cats in China is an aberration that occurred relatively recently because of periods of mass starvation, it is not a particularly natural thing to do.

A pig is far more intelligent and more closely related to us than a cat.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *joke*
    mcdonalds china presents ..... the NEW BONZOBURGER .....

filled with 100% natural goodness ..... and jelly!
    *end of joke*
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member

What I'm saying is that regardless of the animal whether it's dogs, cows, pigs, ducks, snakes, eagles, tigers etc it doesn't matter. Animal welfare isn't a consideration over there.

As you also mentioned primates, I believe that african bush meat includes meat from chimpanzees?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs destined for the table: Horrific images show animals being killed, cooked and served up as a meal in Chinese tradition

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164353/Horrific-images-dogs-killed-cooked-served-meal-sick-Chinese-tradition.html#ixzz1yrdqCFPO

:mad: I feel sick, Why is there no animals laws in china?
    and yes before you ask , I do not eat any animals.

What laws would they be breaking if any cruelty ones came in over there? We eat cows, pigs and chickens etc and they eat dogs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to wiki it has been popular for thousands of years. It is also eaten in many other countries other than China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cultural differences are one way that we get to feel superior to other people.
  • Options
    Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Its not just really about the Chinese killing & eating Dogs its just the acts of barbarism towards man & animal. Animals are viciously tortured & beaten there too.

I don't recommend you see them but their videos of killing Animals for food is significantly more barbaric than what you'd see in Britain/Europe.

Just take my word for it.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charles II wrote: »
    ..Its not just really about the Chinese killing & eating Dogs its just the acts of barbarism towards man & animal. Animals are viciously tortured & beaten there too.

And people are treated no better.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pig is far more intelligent and more closely related to us than a cat.
    I believe all hooved animals are more distantly related to us, willing to be proved wrong though. In any case, I'd say it's more the fact we have evolved together, with cats & dogs over so many hundreds of generations, and have developed an almost instinctive mutual trust and bond together, as well as the intelligence aspect that just makes it almost as wrong as eating humans to me.
    Animal welfare isn't a consideration over there.
    It wasn't in Europe either until Victorians started to do something about it. It was just another way western society led the way in removing barbaric practices such as slavery, equal rights for all men & women.
    As you also mentioned primates, I believe that african bush meat includes meat from chimpanzees?
    Yes, I think that is equally unnatural, and with the spread of AIDS and apparently new strains of AIDS like viruses now spreading to humans as a result of eating more primate meat in conflict areas of Africa I think that is enough evidence in itself that is something that needs to be discouraged.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs destined for the table: Horrific images show animals being killed, cooked and served up as a meal in Chinese tradition

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164353/Horrific-images-dogs-killed-cooked-served-meal-sick-Chinese-tradition.html#ixzz1yrdqCFPO

:mad: I feel sick, Why is there no animals laws in china?
    and yes before you ask , I do not eat any animals.

Twisted, backward country! And yes i do eat meat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pigs seem cuter to me than dogs.