The Spice Girls Story: Viva Forever!

2»

Comments

• WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What puzzles me is their success. Admittedly I do like some of their songs but individually they're mediocre singers at best, they worked brilliant together but solo none of them have amounted to much. I know proper fans will say "BUT WHAT ABOUT MEL C!?" but in all honesty she's hardly critically acclaimed and a huge solo success.

It was never really about them being brilliant singers though. It was the songs, the vibe, the positivity, the visual performances that fans loved. And the fact that they weren't brilliant singers made it feel like anybody could be up there doing what they were. That was all part of their appeal.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically Geri wrote every Spice Girls song ever.
  • wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    So basically Geri wrote every Spice Girls song ever.

I am thinking she didn't write any on the third album for obvious reasons ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'd still probably try to take credit for it.

"Before I left, I wrote this song for the next album. And this one. Oh, and that one."
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am thinking she didn't write any on the third album for obvious reasons ;)

And thats why that album was shit! ;)

I've always said you could tell Geri did most of the work on the songs just by listening to her solo albums because each solo Geri album could have just been a Spice Girls album.

Thats the giveaway. Emma clearly had huge imput too though. I actually prefer Emma's solo stuff. The Free Me album was pop beauty.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The musical looks shockingly bad :(
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geri is a complete and utter nutcase. Like in a world of her own.

I bloody love her for it :D
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but I mean in the long run. I hate comparing but (whether liked or not) Cheryl has had a huge solo career off the back of Girls Aloud. Whereas none of the SG really have. Not that i'm saying that's harming the band or whatever.

Out of all the others, Cheryl had the most attention due to her getting with Ashley Cole and also being on the judging panel on X Factor which boosted her solo career hence why it's successful.
  • wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    And thats why that album was shit! ;)

I've always said you could tell Geri did most of the work on the songs just by listening to her solo albums because each solo Geri album could have just been a Spice Girls album.

Thats the giveaway. Emma clearly had huge imput too though. I actually prefer Emma's solo stuff. The Free Me album was pop beauty.

Yeah I also thought the RnB direction was really desperate. Its like they started off as an original pop act then become Destinys Child wannabes. I suspect Mel B was the main instigator behind that move though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember Geri getting the same amount of press Cheryl has now. Hopefully this is a preview of what's to come for Cheryl's career in the next decade...has-been status.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the musical looks awful a right mess I wanted a proper spice girls documentary from the beginning 1994- 2012.
    sadly we didn't get that as for the 3rd album forever wasn't bad if you wanna have some fun is a great song.
    I just think virgin didn't bother to promote it and mel c wanted to do her solo stuff at that point I will always be a fan.
    I love emma's solo stuff hopefully she'll release a best of.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I started to watch it and realised it was an advert for their WestEnd show and nothing new was going to be said or revealed. So I switched off. Cant stand the commercial breaks anyway!! According to eveything I have read the Viva whatever is a huge BOMB. Awful, storyline and music etc. Badly acted so after their "fans" have gone to see the West End show (they had huge pre-performance ticket sales) I think the show will probably close. After all the money the SpiceGirls made over the years this whole idea seem totally money-making and plain greedy. Obviously Posh has made enough with her fashion business and David so she could care less if it is a success or not. Mel C or D or E I get these two mixed up. (?) seems to spend her life in L.A with her ghastly husband and doing reality shows AND letting the press believe she is "going through a marriage crisis" to get publicity for her new reality show etc. I love the fact she did lots of her own diet and exercise videos and then merrily turned up on our TV telling us she is a Jenny Craig fan!! God what these people will do and say for MONEY!!
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Out of all the others, Cheryl had the most attention due to her getting with Ashley Cole and also being on the judging panel on X Factor which boosted her solo career hence why it's successful.

I think it was the DRAMA of her marriage, her footballer husband who always seems to cheat with anything that moves! THAT is what got the nation interested in Cheryl Cole!!! I do not know anything about her "career" in Girls Aloud but I know much too much about her "marriage"!!!