I just got my Nexus 10... not thrilled.

suncitysuncity Posts: 368
Forum Member
Hey,

After hearing so much about the screen - I was very underwhealmed whilst browsing the net.

Various forum images, pictures, avatars look VERY rough. Blurry etc, as if they don't like being displayed on the tablet or the display ratio or something.

Video streamed from YouTube / Vimeo is a JOKE. It looks like they are being streamed via 3G (blurry) and not my WiFi connection.

Certianly not what I would expect from a premium tablet.

The only thing that looks good online frankly is text.

I did an image search, and I got some large pixel images up and they do look great - but I have a feeling my day to day browsing is going to consist of blurry disapointment unfortunatly.

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    screenshots?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried a different browser? There was one version of Chrome that had this problem a while back but they have since fixed it.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You definitely have the "HD" button selected in YouTube?
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I will try and get a screenshot of a web page.

Yes, HD selected. On Vimeo it is a default.

How can I put another Browser on a Nexus 10?

How do websites apepar on an iPad? Say you click on Amazon - how does the Amazon logo look? The ONLY thing that looks good is text - everything else is pretty sub par to be honest - and looks far better on my 5 year old laptop... very disapointed.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suncity wrote: »
    I will try and get a screenshot of a web page.

Yes, HD selected. On Vimeo it is a default.

How can I put another Browser on a Nexus 10?

How do websites apepar on an iPad? Say you click on Amazon - how does the Amazon logo look? The ONLY thing that looks good is text - everything else is pretty sub par to be honest - and looks far better on my 5 year old laptop... very disapointed.

Just install one from Google Play (e.g. Firefox).

It's probably not the browser to blame though. It's more than likely that because the tablet's resolution is so high, images appear bad. You said yourself higher quality images look amazing. It all depends on the resolution of the image.

For example, artifacts will appear on a 1080p TV displaying a 576i image.
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    But surely the big sites like Amazon would be aware of this, and have higher resolution logo's and images etc?

And I can't think of an excuse for the video playback. When my iPhone 4 is hooked up to Wifi the videos looks crystal clear. Why then does a newer, more powerful tablet stream like it was a 3G effort?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely the big sites like Amazon would be aware of this, and have higher resolution logo's and images etc?

And I can't think of an excuse for the video playback. When my iPhone 4 is hooked up to Wifi the videos looks crystal clear. Why then does a newer, more powerful tablet stream like it was a 3G effort?

Because youre watching a poor quality video on a smaller screen, it will look better.

My PC is the same, try to watch some videos in fullscreen and they look naff, reduce them down and the look fine.

The Nexus is just showing how bad the original video is.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sites are aware of this and you'll probably eventually start seeing higher resolution images. At the moment though, it's hit and miss because there is a small percentage of devices with the resolution that the Nexus 10 has.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey,

After hearing so much about the screen - I was very underwhealmed whilst browsing the net.

Various forum images, pictures, avatars look VERY rough. Blurry etc, as if they don't like being displayed on the tablet or the display ratio or something.

Video streamed from YouTube / Vimeo is a JOKE. It looks like they are being streamed via 3G (blurry) and not my WiFi connection.

Certianly not what I would expect from a premium tablet.

The only thing that looks good online frankly is text.

I did an image search, and I got some large pixel images up and they do look great - but I have a feeling my day to day browsing is going to consist of blurry disapointment unfortunatly.

Are you confirming you are viewing HD videos and that there is nothing wrong with the speed of your wifi?

On my iPad 4 the official YouTube app picks the highest quality based on my connection speed so wifi is always top notch. i primarily use an unofficial YouTube app and that one allows you to select video quality to 1080p. The videos, especially 1080p look stunning on my iPad 4.

As for your web site browsing maybe Android handles the resolution differences less optimally than iOS does on the iPad. As far as I'm concerned every site I typically go to looks great on the iPad. The lesser resolution images are scaled up well. I would try a different browser for your Nexus and check your wifi connection for the YouTube issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Sites are aware of this and you'll probably eventually start seeing higher resolution images. At the moment though, it's hit and miss because there is a small percentage of devices with the resolution that the Nexus 10 has.

Yeah, the issue is with websites using low res logos and images. They tend to look quite bad. Here are a couple of screenshots from my iPad. I've zoomed in a bit to emphasise the effect. You can see the low res BBC News logo in the first one. The second example, from Amazon, looks awful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sg2xbv5yncsfw6o/2013-05-05%2003.10.00.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhcqs82f6nv4iyo/2013-05-05%2003.10.07.png
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the problem that Apple have with their retina Macbooks.

If you have a page designed for 1020 x 768, which is what most websites are optimized for, when you blow it up to display on a bigger resolution then the edges of things can become blurry. On the 'right' resolution, they're crisp because adjacent pixels define the edge of an object. But when it's blown up that edge is 'spread' across a few pixels.

Websites are unlikely to put up high-res graphics, because they load slower, use more bandwidth and the vast majority of users aren't using high-res screens so wouldn't notice.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I tether my tablet and surf using EE the quality of graphics is sub par and almost compressed looking. Does anyone else notice that?
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    It's the problem that Apple have with their retina Macbooks.

If you have a page designed for 1020 x 768, which is what most websites are optimized for, when you blow it up to display on a bigger resolution then the edges of things can become blurry. On the 'right' resolution, they're crisp because adjacent pixels define the edge of an object. But when it's blown up that edge is 'spread' across a few pixels.

Websites are unlikely to put up high-res graphics, because they load slower, use more bandwidth and the vast majority of users aren't using high-res screens so wouldn't notice.

But it shouldn't be blowing images up. As you incease screen resolution images actually should seem to get smaller as the screen resolution is getting larger while the images remain the same size
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    But it shouldn't be blowing images up. As you incease screen resolution images actually should seem to get smaller as the screen resolution is getting larger while the images remain the same size

They would only remain the same size if they didn't try and fill the screen which is what a tablet will be doing.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to see some stuff that will make the most of the N10 screen try following "Earth" on Google+ - they post some stunning images that look fantastic on that screen.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »

High resolution screens on the iPad or MacBook exist to increase detail, smoothness, and clarity, not to create a bigger workspace. If they existed simply to create a bigger workspace you would need a magnifying glass to use either device.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    When I tether my tablet and surf using EE the quality of graphics is sub par and almost compressed looking. Does anyone else notice that?

Images are generally compressed over 3G to save bandwidth.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want real HD video, download the timescapes trailer from here http://www.timescapes.org/