Options

Why do Sky have movies On Demand?

zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long more can the Sky Movie channels last?. They now have an On Demand Service with 1000 movies to watch when you want. Are they not shooting themselves in the foot by having On Demand movies to watch when they have channels they want people to watch and pay for?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Because people might not have a decent broadband connection or any internet connection at all.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    How long more can the Sky Movie channels last?. They now have an On Demand Service with 1000 movies to watch when you want. Are they not shooting themselves in the foot by having On Demand movies to watch when they have channels they want people to watch and pay for?

Movies on demand is an additional service for those who already subscribe to movies.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Movies on demand is an additional service for those who already subscribe to movies.

You also have Sky Store which is available to anyone with a Sky subscription. You pay for a rental or a purchase of the movie which is downloaded straight to your Sky + box.

I don't subscribe to Movies - poor value for money in my opinion, but I use the Sky Store maybe once or twice a month.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Because people might not have a decent broadband connection or any internet connection at all.

All Sky's on demand content gets download to the internal hard drive to watch, so if you have a very slow connection you start your download(s) at night, go to bed and when you get up, everything is ready to watch as if you recorded it off a broadcast channel during the night. No streaming per say! On and HD is HD as it is broadcast at full 1080i none of the streamed stuff that is only 720p.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    You also have Sky Store which is available to anyone with a Sky subscription. You pay for a rental or a purchase of the movie which is downloaded straight to your Sky + box.

I don't subscribe to Movies - poor value for money in my opinion, but I use the Sky Store maybe once or twice a month.

They may as well add everything to the sky store and remove all broadcast movie channels including the box office ones. In would save sky toons of money and they could allow a price for say a certain number of rented movies per month for the price that was the sky movies sub say 20 movies for £20 as an ongoing sub per month.
    Offer box upgrades to those that don't have a sky +HD box that did subscribe to movies previously and thats job done.

It would also mean that they would have to offer the Oscars on a channel like Sky 1, Sky living or Sky Atlantic which would be good news for everyone who doesn't subscribe to movies!
  • Options
    wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    They planning to get get rid of the channels and only have On demand movies
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :kitty:
    lotrjw wrote: »
    All Sky's on demand content gets download to the internal hard drive to watch, so if you have a very slow connection you start your download(s) at night, go to bed and when you get up, everything is ready to watch as if you recorded it off a broadcast channel during the night. No streaming per say! On and HD is HD as it is broadcast at full 1080i none of the streamed stuff that is only 720p.

The on demand stuff on BT don't get download to the Youview box. Its there just as a streaming service. I think the Sky movies on demand on BT Youview is the same I'm not sure as I don't have the Sky Movies bolt on package.
    I think only if you buy a movie from BT then it gets downloaded to the Youview box.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky Box Office does seem to be a bit redundant these days, in the advent of Sky Movies On Demand, and Sky Store. How many people still have a Sky box that doesn't connect to a broadband connection and allow access to one or both of the on demand services? Can't be many now surely?

I remember in the early 2000s when I first got Sky, Sky Box Office seemed SO modern - the ability to order a movie 'on demand' - although not really on demand because you still had to pick a particular scheduled showing on one of the 70x channels unless you didn't want to miss the beginning of the film!
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The movies are what - £6.99 a throw or more - that's more than a movies sub isn't it your paying there ?
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    The movies are what - £6.99 a throw or more - that's more than a movies sub isn't it your paying there ?
    You first need an entertainment package before you can access movies. If you want them in HD you'll need the Family Pack, currently £33, otherwise £21.50 is currently the cheapest option.

Sky Movies is £17 a month plus £5.25 if you want them in HD. Movies are half price if you take sports.

Not taking any special deals into consideration you are looking at £38.50 a month.

New releases are normally about £5.49 so you could get 7 movies a month for the equivalent of the subscription, more if it's a mixture of new and back catalogue stuff.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You first need an entertainment package before you can access movies. If you want them in HD you'll need the Family Pack, currently £33, otherwise £21.50 is currently the cheapest option.

Sky Movies is £17 a month plus £5.25 if you want them in HD. Movies are half price if you take sports.

Not taking any special deals into consideration you are looking at £38.50 a month.

New releases are normally about £5.49 so you could get 7 movies a month for the equivalent of the subscription, more if it's a mixture of new and back catalogue stuff.

To be honest Sky Movies is pretty much on offer at half price year round, it is for me anyway I am sure it will be for everyone else as well. You usually find that it will be done in 3 month segments, after your offer cancel it...you will either be offered it again for another 3 months on the phone, or they will offer it again once your offer has ended.. Never paid full price for movies, not on a top package either.
    Just to let you know I cancelled movies last month, guess what's in my current offers, yes another 6 months movies half price offer.

And the offers for Sky Movies on Now TV tend to better than those on Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »

No, they vary.

I normally rent the films rather than purchase them. They're definitely less than 7 quid a pop. Usually about £2.99 or something.
  • Options
    zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where the source that they are planningon getting rid of their mmovie channels?, will that be soon?
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member

Or you can get Sky Movies for £9.99 on Now TV.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    They may as well add everything to the sky store and remove all broadcast movie channels including the box office ones. In would save sky toons of money and they could allow a price for say a certain number of rented movies per month for the price that was the sky movies sub say 20 movies for £20 as an ongoing sub per month.
    Offer box upgrades to those that don't have a sky +HD box that did subscribe to movies previously and thats job done.

It would also mean that they would have to offer the Oscars on a channel like Sky 1, Sky living or Sky Atlantic which would be good news for everyone who doesn't subscribe to movies!

But they cant?

The movies on Sky Movies cannot rented through Sky Store, what's currently on Sky Store is all you'll get if Sky Movies closed. They also couldn't offer a "20 movies for £20" because not only would everyone go for new releases and significantly impact DVD/Bluray sales for the producer, but again, the rights wouldn't allow them to do that.

Sky Store= 1st Run Rental (dvd release for approximately 4 months) + back catalogue rental
    Sky Movies = 1st & 2nd Run Subscription rights (same as Netflix)
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do Sky have movies On Demand?

So movie subscribers can watch a movie when they want?

I don't know, but the answer to the thread title seems too easy.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't even need to be a Sky subscriber now you can rent a movie from sky store just using your debit card and watch it on your pc/roku or tablet.
    I don't know if the purchases are the same though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I hate about Sky Store is some are Buy only.
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad they offer the service. When my dish was needing a new LNB it meant I couldn't watch 'live' TV. So I had to rely on Sky On Demand for both film and TV content.
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an Amazon Prime member, i get unlimited DVD's delivered 3 at a time for £7.30 a month, about the same as 2 movie rentals from Sky!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    As an Amazon Prime member, i get unlimited DVD's delivered 3 at a time for £7.30 a month, about the same as 2 movie rentals from Sky!

That's ok if you want 3 movies at a time, but it's not if you only want a particular movie at a particular time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »

That seems a very good price but not everyone wants 3 movies at the same time.
    I like the streaming service from Netflix as you don't have to bother about sending any DVDs back.
    Last year Netflix seemed more popular than Amazon Prime(the old LoveFilm) even though most people have used Amazon at one time or another to shop.
    I never tane the Sky Movies bolt on with BT TV for I felt that £15 a month for me was not worth it as I would only watch 2 maybe 3 films a month. Even though the package also comes with Sky Movies on demand.
    Even the old BT Film/TV box sets was good value but BT have cut down the number of films on the BT film service since they started offering Netflix.
    BT seem to be offering more and more films on there BT box office service.

Darren
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wolfuk wrote: »
    They planning to get get rid of the channels and only have On demand movies
    Where the source that they are planningon getting rid of their mmovie channels?, will that be soon?

I believe that this idea has been mooted with Virgin Media ie close the linear movie channels and replace them with portal channels on the EPG linking them to the VOD service.

No idea about any timescales.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    Or you can get Sky Movies for £9.99 on Now TV.

I don't know why Sky customers don't just cancel movies and get a Now TV box as it looks to be so much cheaper. Is it possible to view Now TV on your television, or does it have to be viewed on a computer/tablet etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why Sky customers don't just cancel movies and get a Now TV box as it looks to be so much cheaper. Is it possible to view Now TV on your television, or does it have to be viewed on a computer/tablet etc?

I don't now about via the TV as I have never seen an app for Now TV on my two Samsung Full HD smart TVs but I can get Now TV via the Youview box if I wanted but most of the movies on Now TV via Youview are only in SD I believe.
    For the last few years whenever I can I like to watch in HD.
    I do like to watch moves but I cant say im a big movie fan for as I said above I may only watch about 2 or 3 films a month.

Darren