Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• TalbertTalbert Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't. Clarkson fans are just choosing to twist what was meant into an excuse to attack the disciplinary action being taken against their 'friend' for assaulting someone at work.

It was very clear what was meant by the remarks - that Jimmy Savile was allowed to get away with things that have now come back to haunt the BBC. It therefore cannot allow itself today to be seen allowing people to still get away with unacceptable behaviour, such as its highest pair stars punching the little people for example.

That's the whole point. You may not have worked this out yet, but what happened with Jimmy Savile was wrong.

Would you demand that the police be allowed to round up various bunches of random Muslims and imprison them all for 15 years on trumped-up charges on the basis that, "well they did it to the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4, so why can't they do it to these people?"

Didn't he have a split lip, blood running down his face and was taken to hospital to be checked over? The hospital bit sounds suspiciously like a tactic by the senior producers to limit liability.

Why even mention Savile why not mention Ross and Brand?

They knew what they were doing by mentioning Savile.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of Two and a Half Men after sheen left..very different show but again a controversial guy but his replacement was awful..the show later run it's course and it's on it's last season.

The show he went to was called 'Anger Management' which seems appropriate in the context of this thread.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    VDUBster wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks he can be replaced and the show still works is an idiot!
    And clearly hasn't seen the US Top Gear...

I expect it will be a shift of format, so it will be hard to compare, but there's no reason the new show can't find a new audience. The same happened when Evans replaced Wogan (or Steve Wright replacing Ed Stewart) and when Frank Skinner replaced Paul Merton on Room 101 - A big change of format, change of channel and time slot, and it has a whole new lease of life, even if it's no longer as up-market as before.

Like Ross and Brand, I'm sure Clarkson will be persona non grata for a while but eventually pop up on the BBC again. He's older than Ross though, so I'm not sure if Clarkson has time to make a full comeback in 10 years from now. But maybe the odd three-part documentary series about wars, history or industry.
    Forum Member
    Talbert wrote: »
    Why even mention Savile why not mention Ross and Brand?

Umm... Because Ross and Brand weren't allowed to get away with it either and departed the BBC? Just a guess, you know. You really are blinded to logic and reason by your love of Clarkson. That makes all of this just a personality contest for you.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC news just reported he will be sacked. I only caught the end of it though, so didn't hear any caviets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC news just reported he will be sacked. I only caught the end of it though, so didn't hear any caviets.

Review of the newspapers.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect it will be a shift of format, so it will be hard to compare, but there's no reason the new show can't find a new audience. The same happened when Evans replaced Wogan (or Steve Wright replacing Ed Stewart) and when Frank Skinner replaced Paul Merton on Room 101 - A big change of format, change of channel and time slot, and it has a whole new lease of life, even if it's no longer as up-market as before.
    The current format, with the 'three Amigos', is the reason it is so popular.

It is not popular because it is a motoring programme, but because of the entertainment factor.

Any change in the format is only going to reduce the viewership massively, even if the detractors of the current show cannot see this.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't today the end of all three's contracts?

IIRC they would have expired at the end of the series which would've been recorded today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umm... Because Ross and Brand weren't allowed to get away with it either and departed the BBC? Just a guess, you know. You really are blinded to logic and reason by your love of Clarkson. That makes all of this just a personality contest for you.
    Oh come on it was blindingly obviois why he was mentioned with Saville.
    It has nothing to do with the reasons claimed in the story.

It was nothing more than sensationalism designed to conjure up a certain opinion by virtue of comparing him with someone who is a predator.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see him working for a UK audience, besides I doubt he'd want to relocate from Los Angeles especially on BBC pay rates.

Leno has more money than God so the idea he does anything for that reason anymore is bogus. He was on the Today programme on R4 the other day so the BBC could do worse even if British sensibilities might take some time to take to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Isn't today the end of all three's contracts?

IIRC they would have expired at the end of the series which would've been recorded today.

Next week I think. Their BBC Worldwide contracts run until September hence the story yesterday about considering 'forcing' May and Hammond to continue doing Top Gear Live until then.
    Forum Member

Of course, but that's over now, and I don't think anyone at the BBC is stupid enough to thinks they can just replace Clarkson and carry on. That never really worked on Last of the Summer Wine, let alone Top Gear.

So it has to change, like Room 101. Chris Evans's radio show doesn't centre around a flood of innuendo-laden emails from old people and the playing of songs like the Floral Dance, which is what attracted Wogan's core audience.

I don't expect Evans's Top Gear to be a big international hit, so BBC Worldwide are going to have to find other ways to make money, but I think a new format focussing on the UK audience is perfectly capable of finding a new and acceptable audience. believe it or not, there are a lot of people in the UK who hate the sight and sound of Clarkson and the smugness of Hammond, so they're hard wired not to watch Top Gear - ever!

A fundamental revamp will make a lot of people give it another try. Some will like it and continue watching, others will lose interest and many existing viewers who are settled in their 13-year-old ways will loath "what they've done to it" and never watch it again.
    Oh come on it was blindingly obviois why he was mentioned with Saville.
    It has nothing to do with the reasons claimed in the story.

It was nothing more than sensationalism designed to conjure up a certain opinion by virtue of comparing him with someone who is a predator.

The only thing blindingly obvious to me is that the comparison was about the BBC and how it is obliged to behave in the wake of Savile, not Clarkson. As for sensationalism designed to mess with people's heads... that's just a conspiracy theory dreamt up by Clarkson fundamentalists who, firstly defend their 'friend' blindly (like the RMT leader recently defending a train driver who failed a breath test and ending up asking a radio presenter if he still beats his wife), and secondly refuse to get a reasonable perspective on one of the downstairs staff being punched at work by a multi-millionair land-owning public school educated friend of the Prime Minister.

if the same people are punched at work tomorrow, they'll go crying to the local press and a no-win-no-fee solicitor, looking for compensation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Leno has more money than God so the idea he does anything for that reason anymore is bogus. He was on the Today programme on R4 the other day so the BBC could do worse even if British sensibilities might take some time to take to him.

It seems the American networks don't want him so why not!

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/24/surprise_surprise_jay_leno_is_still_a_douchebag/
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is not popular because it is a motoring programme, but because of the entertainment factor.

Any change in the format is only going to reduce the viewership massively, even if the detractors of the current show cannot see this.

That's right. Its unique. If it becomes a show about cars the magic will be gone.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it seems the moral of the story is- if you don't want to lose your job, don't assault your colleagues.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    They didn't. Clarkson fans are just choosing to twist what was meant into an excuse to attack the disciplinary action being taken against their 'friend' for assaulting someone at work.

It was very clear what was meant by the remarks - that Jimmy Savile was allowed to get away with things that have now come back to haunt the BBC. It therefore cannot allow itself today to be seen allowing people to still get away with unacceptable behaviour, such as its highest pair stars punching the little people for example.

That's the whole point. You may not have worked this out yet, but what happened with Jimmy Savile was wrong.

Would you demand that the police be allowed to round up various bunches of random Muslims and imprison them all for 15 years on trumped-up charges on the basis that, "well they did it to the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4, so why can't they do it to these people?"

Didn't he have a split lip, blood running down his face and was taken to hospital to be checked over? The hospital bit sounds suspiciously like a tactic by the senior producers to cover their arses, distance themselves from Clarkson's actions and limit liability.
    The victims of Savile didn't see it that way.....
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Chris Evans is listened to by upwards of 9m people a week, if he can convince so much as a third of them to tune into his new version of TG then it'll probably end up rating better than it even did before.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Edd China from the Discovery show Wheeler Dealers could be a good pick but Leno would be brilliant too, think he ruled himself out of the US version as he didn't want to spoil it or some such reason.
  • Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the BBC are saying "no decision" has been made yet. Hmm...

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/bbc-no-decision-on-clarkson/5085643.article?referrer=RSS
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    The victims of Savile didn't see it that way.....
    The victims of Savile have come out defending Clarkson?
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Chris Evans is listened to by upwards of 9m people a week, if he can convince so much as a third of them to tune into his new version of TG then it'll probably end up rating better than it even did before.

He also does regular Formula 1 and other car features, which prove incredibly popular and raise a fortune for Children in Need. Expect the new Top Gear to raise even more money for Children in Need once Evans is on it. None will be more sad than me to see the end of Top Gear as we know it, but if Clarkson is going to be sacked we have to look forward and wonder what they're going to do with it. Not bitch about things you can't change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A fundamental revamp will make a lot of people give it another try. Some will like it and continue watching, others will lose interest and many existing viewers who are settled in their 13-year-old ways will loath "what they've done to it" and never watch it again.

You mean a repeat of what happened in 1999-2001.

"Following many well-known presenters' departure in 1999/2000 the Top Gear audience fell from a peak of six million to under three million. Following Clarkson's departure in 2001, the programme was jointly presented by Quentin Wilson and Kate Humble. In 2001 the show was cancelled by BBC bosses."

I used to love Top Gear Rally Report back in the day but that ain't going to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    I think Edd China from the Discovery show Wheeler Dealers could be a good pick but Leno would be brilliant too, think he ruled himself out of the US version as he didn't want to spoil it or some such reason.

Oh come on... You have got to be on a wind up...

Wheeler Dealers does help the point I made though, WD itself has changed from its original more serious beginning, where there was more focus on the work carried out, fixing the carnup compared to the newer series that focus more on the actual dramatisation of the purchase and sale of the vehicle more than the fixing it.

I am a massive petrolhead, and watch Top Gear, Fifth Gear, Wheeler Dealers, Chasing Classic Cars and Car SOS, but I know that many people that watch TG will not watch the rest of them because they are more minorty interest motoring programmes rather than TG's Motortainment.
    Forum Member
    You mean a repeat of what happened in 1999-2001.

No, I mean what happened in 2002 when they completely changed the format so that it was no longer recognisable from the previous format. They had to do that because the old show had died. If Clarkson is gone, he's gone - To continue with the current format without him is like continuing the old format with Wilson and Humble - It will just die again. And the franchise is already in decline with the US and Australian versions axed and ratings in China, Russia and other areas down.

That's why the sensible thing is to invent a new format and reboot the entire show. But perhaps keep Hammond and May on for a series to make it a slightly smoother transition and maybe persuade existing viewers to at least try watching the new format and maybe stay with it, rather than storming off in a huff and never watching again.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

No - they came out saying the comparison was upsetting and offensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He also does regular Formula 1 and other car features, which prove incredibly popular and raise a fortune for Children in Need. Expect the new Top Gear to raise even more money for Children in Need once Evans is on it. None will be more sad than me to see the end of Top Gear as we know it, but if Clarkson is going to be sacked we have to look forward and wonder what they're going to do with it. Not bitch about things you can't change.
    Yes he goes to these things, as you would expect someone with his fame and fortune who has an interest in cars would.

But that doesnt mean he would fit in to a role on a motoring entertainmenr show.