Options

Problems publishing videos on Windows Movie Maker

IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My uncle has recently been on holiday and did quite a bit of videoing with his new camcorder. He has unloaded the video files from his SD camcorder to his laptop and wanted to edit them with Windows Movie Maker.

After compiling and editing the video, he went to burn it to a DVD. After getting to around 30-35%, the computer just displays an error message like "Unspecified Error" or "Catastrophic Failure" and ended the DVD burning.

I went round today to see if I could solve the problem. We've spent around 5 hours on it and got absolutely no where!

I searched Google for any advise and discovered that some other people have had similar problems but they seem to have isolated it to still images in the video, something my uncle does not have in his video. I then tried publishing it to a WMV file on his laptop, but this didn't work either, getting to around 18% or so, then coming up with the error: "Windows movie maker cannot publish the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movies are still available, that the publishing location is still available, that there is enough free dish space available , and then try again."

None of the original video files have been removed and there is plenty of free hard disk space and RAM to cope.

We have also tried removing segments of the video and even removing all the titles but with no success.

We did, however, do a test with a couple of video clips in a new project and they were published to a WMV file without problem.

Can anyone advise on what the problem could be? The video is around 30-35 minutes long and my uncle's laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Comments

• Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi could anyone please advise on this problem, my Uncle has done another video and is trying to create a DVD of this but every time he tries burning the disc using Windows Movie Maker/Windows DVD Maker, it gets to around 41% and stops.

Thanks