Options

Would Councils Risk It?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
Forum Member
✭✭
All this talk about services shutting down got me to thinking... (uh oh)

Councils can do what they want with their money (agreed that there will be less of it this year) - but they make the priorities of what they spend the money on. They could spend it all on libraries or on a gold statue on their forecourt.

Do you think any Labour councils will target things like libraries and other "nice" things and make their council-tax-payers suffer just to make a political point about the Coalition Government?

Will those councils who have massively overspent in the past take the cuts as an excuse for swingeing cuts and blame it all on the Government?

Comments

• Options
    Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That already happens already to some degree. I don't think any councils would take it to ridiculous levels where people start dying, but you never know with some deranged Labour-ites.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »

Councils can do what they want with their money (agreed that there will be less of it this year) - but they make the priorities of what they spend the money on. They could spend it all on libraries or on a gold statue on their forecourt.

Do you think any Labour councils will target things like libraries and other "nice" things and make their council-tax-payers suffer just to make a political point about the Coalition Government?

Will those councils who have massively overspent in the past take the cuts as an excuse for swingeing cuts and blame it all on the Government?

I suggest you ask the same question of Tory run councils because If it is anything like when the last Tory government was in power then we will have a weekly bin service and the Tory run councils won't and we will have the residents of these towns fly tipping on the outskirts of our town again :mad:
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    There are some services councils must provide by law (e.g. education and social care) - they are also the ones which account for most of the spending.

So they will have to focus their cuts on discretionary spending like libraries (i.e. cutting the number and the opening hours), leisure centres, road repairs first. If they don't they will be breaking the law and the councillors/Chief Officers could be sued.

So no!
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That already happens already to some degree. I don't think any councils would take it to ridiculous levels where people start dying, but you never know with some deranged Labour-ites.

You really have quite a jaundiced view of the world don't you - I'm starting to feel a little sorry for you.

Most councils do their best to deliver services to their communities and whilst they may not always get it right there are a lot of committed and community minded councillors plus large numbers of hard working public servants ensuring that the cuts affect the front line as little as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The local council in the town where I grew up spent hundreds of thousands (maybe over a million) on a sculpture, while other services were reduced and the local market (one of the main features of the town) is dying on it's arse due to stall rents rocketing up year on year. And the council chief earns a 6 figure salary. Forgive me for not having the most positive view about local councils.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The local council in the town where I grew up spent hundreds of thousands (maybe over a million) on a sculpture, while other services were reduced and the local market (one of the main features of the town) is dying on it's arse due to stall rents rocketing up year on year. And the council chief earns a 6 figure salary. Forgive me for not having the most positive view about local councils.

So what have you attempted to do about that - have you lobbied your local councillor, attended council meetings, put yourself up for election to ensure better decisions are made - or have you been too busy trying to make money to bother with these 'big society' activities?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what have you attempted to do about that - have you lobbied your local councillor, attended council meetings, put yourself up for election to ensure better decisions are made - or have you been too busy trying to make money to bother with these 'big society' activities?

I don't live there anymore. It's sad to see the town falling apart though. Labour are back in now, so we will have to see if they make a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't live there anymore. It's sad to see the town falling apart though. Labour are back in now, so we will have to see if they make a difference.

It's so easy to sit on the sidelines and gripe - to what extent are you prepared to actually get involved to try to change things?

What about hard-working volunteers - are they to be looked down on because they are not wealth creators?
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh yes, I'm bl**dy certain of it. The Labour council round here are making a big issue about 'having to slash services and road repairs' etc, while they've just commissioned four bronze statues to a (Labour) councillor who died recently.
    They've also started up a 'virtual town hall' and other schemes, all the while loudly moaning about 'Tory cuts'.
    Just before Christmas, they sent everyone a so-called Christmas card, which contained a puff-piece about our local councillor, saying how much he had achieved over the last 2 years, and how the 'Government cuts' were going to undo all the marvellous things Labour had done.
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Are Labour councils setting up death panels then? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy, if the christmas card was funded with public money and explicitly mentions a particular party then that is illegal. Sadly you can't stop them publishing self-congratulatory glossy magazines or weekly tabloids full of propaganda about how good the council is, but using taxpayers' money for party promotional material is verboten.

I feel sure there will be some councils that will deliberately cut services rather than finding savings; I especially worry about some of those councils where there is little or no functional opposition (there are two East London boroughs where every single councillor is Labour), but it must be up to local residents and opposition councillors to make sure they don't get away with it.
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    So Labour councils are to get the blame for the results of Tory inspired cuts. I like it.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest you ask the same question of Tory run councils because If it is anything like when the last Tory government was in power then we will have a weekly bin service and the Tory run councils won't and we will have the residents of these towns fly tipping on the outskirts of our town again :mad:

A bit stereotypical.

I live in an area with a Conservative-Independent coalition controlling the council.

We have weekly bin collections, a decent recycling system, and their "emergency budget" that was formed before Whitehall revealed their local government cuts didn't sound too bad at all. A couple of library closures.

It's actually the undemocratic side of my council that irritates me. The CEO "graciously" decided he would willingly take a 5% pay cut of his £200k salary. What are we paying him for, exactly?
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    A bit stereotypical.

I live in an area with a Conservative-Independent coalition controlling the council.

We have weekly bin collections, a decent recycling system, and their "emergency budget" that was formed before Whitehall revealed their local government cuts didn't sound too bad at all. A couple of library closures.

It's actually the undemocratic side of my council that irritates me. The CEO "graciously" decided he would willingly take a 5% pay cut of his £200k salary. What are we paying him for, exactly?

How is that not too bad at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    How is that not too bad at all?

Because cuts are inevitable - the county has roughly 15 or 20 libraries - one or two (and neither of them were the major ones IIRC) is not a big deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because cuts are inevitable - the county has roughly 15 or 20 libraries - one or two (and neither of them were the major ones IIRC) is not a big deal.

To you perhaps, I doubt the users would agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To you perhaps, I doubt the users would agree.

Assuming they had any users.

Public transport in the county is not that bad - it is relatively easy to get to the major libraries from almost anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit stereotypical.

How can it be a bit stereotypical when it is something that actually happened :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can it be a bit stereotypical when it is something that actually happened :confused:

It sounded like you were suggesting that all Conservative councils will do as you said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounded like you were suggesting that all Conservative councils will do as you said.

I wasn't suggesting that at all, there will be as many good Tory councils as there are good Labour councils as there are good Lib Dem councils, at the same time there will be as many bad Labour councils as there are bad Tory councils as there are bad Lib Dem councils.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming they had any users.

Public transport in the county is not that bad - it is relatively easy to get to the major libraries from almost anywhere.

The point of a community library is that it's part of the community.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt very much Labour run councils would punish people any worse then other councils just to make a political point. They'd never get reelected again. How can they blame it all on the government if other councils fair better?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't the Tories triumph in local elections by taking the most council seats in the 2009 local elections ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point of a community library is that it's part of the community.

We can't have everything.

If we can't afford it, we can't afford it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can't have everything.

If we can't afford it, we can't afford it.

Life isn't that simplistic.

We're choosing not to afford it.