What frozen beefburgers are actually nice?

wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
Forum Member
I have tried so many and almost all stink. Birds Eyes included.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birds Eye Quarter Pounders used to be great - a deep satisfying "beefy" flavour - but I think they changed the recipe. Now they're bland like all the others.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None I'm afraid. You're best off buying fresh. The nicest ones I've found are m&s peppered quarter pounders. Really juicy and full of flavour. You get four in a pack so you can freeze the rest.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Tesco's and Birdseye's
  • katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fresh from the chiller or deli/meat counter are best, or home made. But if you really want frozen then I've found the best are Asda Extra Special Lightly Seasoned Aberdeen Angus Quarter Pounders.
  • fatsifatsi Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only occasionally have burgers but make my own when we do, that way I can have them how I want every time.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only frozen burgers i'll eat are from a place called Heron foods, Quarter pounders in a Red box, they are Delicious,I keep saying to myself i'm not buying any more but they still end up in my basket...
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And only 2 hours from where I live - regional stores really not practical for anyone not in your region ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried so many and almost all stink. Birds Eyes included.

Icelands own quarter pounders, are what birdseye used to taste like, thick and a lovely taste. Not bland, well worth the money. £1 for 4, my husband gets them all the time, I even bought Big Als more expensive burgers and they were minging:eek:
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Als quarter pounders for me but they're an Irish company so I don't know if they'll be available where you are.

Edit: that was freaky. Posted within a minute of each other with wildly differing opinion.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None I'm afraid. You're best off buying fresh. The nicest ones I've found are m&s peppered quarter pounders. Really juicy and full of flavour. You get four in a pack so you can freeze the rest.

Not quite true Christian.
    Birds Eye Quarter Pounders used to be great - a deep satisfying "beefy" flavour - but I think they changed the recipe. Now they're bland like all the others.

Not sure if I have had the Angus, but Asda used to do a frozen ES ribeye beefburger that was also a good alternative to fresh - I'm not sure if they still do them though as it isn't something I look for on a normal shop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Why dont you just make your own - get a burger press http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-Burger-Press/dp/B0012DU17G.

Scout the web for recipies and ideas that you can adjust to your liking.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Had some ASDA flavoured ones the other week.
    American with pickles, Mexican with jalepeno and Chinese ones.

As frozen burgers go they weren't too bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to be a bore, but make your own. Good quality mince, onion and whatever else you fancy. I like mine with a bit of chilli, Worcestershire sauce and dijon in them . Make a batch and freeze them individually or in 2's, depending on your circumstances, and you will never be disappointed again. Don't bother with gadgets, you can easily shape them in your hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be a bore, but make your own. Good quality mince, onion and whatever else you fancy. I like mine with a bit of chilli, Worcestershire sauce and dijon in them . Make a batch and freeze them individually or in 2's, depending on your circumstances, and you will never be disappointed again. Don't bother with gadgets, you can easily shape them in your hand.

I agree 100%. They are so simple to make and you know whats in them. I use steak mince, grated onion, seasoning and sometimes mozarella cheese in the middle.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member

I haven't bought a frozen burger in years and I'm disappointed in the fresh ones that I have bought, even from Waitrose and M&S they don't seem to have a speck of seasoning in them. So I'm going to start making my own as you suggest; it's just so useful to have in the freezer as a fairly quick meal to rustle up.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have yet to find a good one.
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a frozen one I like, Asda fresh ones with onion and cheese(Red Leicester?) are the nicest i've had.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And I am sorry to be a bore, but mince and onion does not a good burger make. A beefburger should contain rusk - breadcrumbs can substitute - to ensure it doesn't become a rubbery disappointment. It may be full of flavour, but the texture will be all wrong.

I think that's why people who try making their own using a (wrong) burger recipe go back to buying in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I am sorry to be a bore, but mince and onion does not a good burger make. A beefburger should contain rusk - breadcrumbs can substitute - to ensure it doesn't become a rubbery disappointment. It may be full of flavour, but the texture will be all wrong.

I think that's why people who try making their own using a (wrong) burger recipe go back to buying in.

It's all a matter of choice. Some people say use mince with lots of fat but I prefer low fat. I don't feel there's any need for an egg either. I do have other secret ingredients and methods but I not telling.;)
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a matter of choice. Some people say use mince with lots of fat but I prefer low fat. I don't feel there's any need for an egg either. I do have other secret ingredients and methods but I not telling.;)

I agree, and they always come out juicy and delicious
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    I bought some Sainsburys' taste the difference frozen ones the other day and they are not a patch on the normal fresh ones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not my idea but this guy thinks all you need is mince and seasoning.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/614260

Good enough for the royals! ;):D
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my idea but this guy thinks all you need is mince and seasoning.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/614260

Good enough for the royals! ;):D

I'm a meat and seasoning person. :) Sirloin seems a waste though. Not convinced on his choice of bun either.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I used to put egg, breadcrumbs, onions etc. in to my burger mix but since watching US shows many of the places simply use mince. Some don't season the mix but add it on during cooking.

I remember at one place the chef was making his mix and it had mince, egg, soaked bread, fried onions & peppers and seasoning.
    The host then said "yep, that looks like it'll make a great meatloaf" :D

So these days I have mince and seasoning. Anything else can be a topping.
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BirdsEye used to be excellent, but we ended up throwing the last packet away. We did enjoy some fresh Sainsbury's ones with onion. They tasted like BirdsEye used to.