TV drive or SKY+?

sarky sparksarky spark Posts: 505
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, Had telewest digital for a few years now,want to get either TV Drive or Sky+.
Anyone give me any pointers as to which is best?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Sky has been around more than TV Drive and obviously will have been subject to alot of testing, correcting, fixing etc in that time.

TV Drive is great but has only been around a short while and is subject to alot of fixing, correct and so on.

I switched from Sky+ to TV Drive. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Had telewest digital for a few years now,want to get either TV Drive or Sky+.
    I'd say if you want the recording functions of a PVR then you may as well stay with Telewest rather than endure the upheaval of satellite dish installation. I'd only switch to Sky if you want to more quicky access Sky's HD channels, Telewest don't look like having them from launch or for some considerable time. You also have to weigh up whether you can afford the financial outlay of a Sky+ system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i totaly agree with SSkywatcher ..
    myself never using or having sky+ cannot put them down or thumbs them up.
    BUT

I have TVDrive now and i have yet to experiance any crash or any other bug or problem that i have ever read in these forums(touching wood). the system is so easy to use.
    The 7 day epg seems to have very few faults .
    I always had faults with my black pace box's epg, i dont know if it was a common problem for the rest of the network or just me.

Many people commented that the box itself made loud noises thru the night and sufferd from overheating ,, my box hasnt really made a sound and is much cooler than my old black pace box.

Also i have read a couple times that series links dont seem to work and missing recordings. i have used about 50 hours of memory so far since friday and yet to miss any recordings.

My only complaints as of now is the brightness of the lights on the front .
    one light thats on the front left of the box is so bright that it gave me a head ach while i was watching the TV ,, so i coloured a little sticker in black crayon and stuck it over it ..
    ALSO the standby light is somewhat questionable , why ooh why, is the light as bright as it is? is beyond me .
    i keep it in my study and i reguraly sleep in my chair after working and when i wake up in the early morning the whole room is blue because of the standby light .
    But these problems dont effect the way the system works (obviously)

I think the TVdrive is a great peice of kit ,

PS if you have short fat fingers like myself the down button on the remote may be a little annoying.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well TVDrive certainly has more bugs than Sky+ had when i had it last in 2004 but still TVDrive has much more features including more recording space and copying to DVD in the background.

I would basically advise TVDrive as their bugs will be fixed soon enough and you get more for your money and don't have to fork out £89.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Well TVDrive certainly has more bugs than Sky+ had when i had it last in 2004 but still TVDrive has much more features including more recording space and copying to DVD in the background.

I would basically advise TVDrive as their bugs will be fixed soon enough and you get more for your money and don't have to fork out £89.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I gave up my Sky+ box (Pace V2) in February of this year and, towards the end, it was really cheesing me off - lost recordings, failed recordings and generally poor performance. The unit was only 14 months old at the time.

In PVR terms, the TVDrive works really well for me - I haven't missed a single recording, episode, etc. The only thing that will likely make me cancel is the lack of HD content. If that happens, I'll be moving back to satellite (FTA HD) but not with sky - they're too expensive and their content doesn't meet with my needs.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I gave up my Sky+ box (Pace V2) in February of this year and, towards the end, it was really cheesing me off - lost recordings, failed recordings and generally poor performance. The unit was only 14 months old at the time.

In PVR terms, the TVDrive works really well for me - I haven't missed a single recording, episode, etc. The only thing that will likely make me cancel is the lack of HD content. If that happens, I'll be moving back to satellite (FTA HD) but not with sky - they're too expensive and their content doesn't meet with my needs.

I rarely ever miss a recording on TVDrive it's just alot of they bugs that it has like when copying to DVD Recorder it is supposed to show a list of whats copying but instead it shows a blank box highlighted in red or even sometimes it shows something else too.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and copying to DVD in the background.

Only in "poorer than VHS" quality, though (and in the wrong aspect ratio, apparantly)

As I understand it the second SCART is only composite and for that reason I haven't even bothered connecting mine up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote:
    Only in "poorer than VHS" quality, though (and in the wrong aspect ratio, apparantly)

As I understand it the second SCART is only composite and for that reason I haven't even bothered connecting mine up.

It is pointless setting your dvd recorder via the vcr/dvd scart on the TV Drive box as as you have stated the picture you receive is composite.
    This is why I take the scart from the TV drive to the DVD recorder and then to the TV to ensure all recordings are RGB.
    However it does make the copy to DVD/VCR function pointless on my tv drive.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my TV connected via HDMI (or component at the moment as my new telly has gone back for repair :( ) so it disables the SCART so it is even more inconvenient for me.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    ..don't have to fork out £89.
    £299 for the Sky+HD :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    had sky for well over a year now = only had 2 failed recordings, and one was my fault.

sky+ is what i reccomend
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £299 for the Sky+HD :eek:
    but you actually get HD channels ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member

Can't say anything about Sky+ - I've got TVdrive and I'm still waiting for picture breakup/audio problems to be fixed. It doesn't seem to affect everyone, so you might get a unit that's OK, but you might not.

Perhaps wait a while longer?