Unfair treatment of Clare Tomlinson

Comments

• darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trec123 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but what happened to Rob McCaffrey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_McCaffrey

In June 2007 McCaffrey was signed up by Showtime Arabia to present their English Premiership coverage, which will begin at the start of the 2007/08 season, this led to McCaffrey leaving his role on Goals on Sunday.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that:)
  • BriladBrilad Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh?? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I think a bit more explanation is needed - who is Clare Tomlinson? And if it is about Spurs, should this not be in the Sport section of the forum??

Who the f**k are Spurs?

:D
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Gawd, don't mention Spurs to me!:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    yes glad to see Clare is back but it's a shame that she took the brint of this and Kammy got away nothing really when both of them front the show.

Let's hope they move Clare back to Football First. She's still the sexiest girl on Sky Sports at the moment and will forever have the sexiest voice on TV too :D
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    maccy wrote: »
    I think perhaps the producers should be held to account....the presenters have a tough job holding things together in these situations, the producers should be ready and able to instruct the presenters if any incident occurs.

However I didn't see the incident so couldn't possibly comment :D

Yes but this is where a TRAINED, EXPERIENCED presenter can steer away from any problem areas. Part of the problem is with Sky taking people who have no broadcasting experience prior to working with them.

So when something like this happens they haven't got a clue on how to handle it
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    Yes but this is where a TRAINED, EXPERIENCED presenter can steer away from any problem areas. Part of the problem is with Sky taking people who have no broadcasting experience prior to working with them.

So when something like this happens they haven't got a clue on how to handle it
    But she has been there for the best part of a decade - so hardly inexperienced.
    Forum Member
    But before that I don't think she had any broadcasting expereince.

Let's face it the other programmes she did were I think really controlled by autocue.

GOS can be different. It's live and can deviate from the planned programme.

Put simply if Clare had been trained in radio previously she might not have been in this position.

As it was Sky took someone untrained and inexperienced and it's their fault ultimately for this
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's face it the other programmes she did were I think really controlled by autocue.

Put simply if Clare had been trained in radio previously she might not have been in this position.

As it was Sky took someone untrained and inexperienced and it's their fault ultimately for this

Personally I think you are seriously underestimating her experience. She has done enough live interviewing and other programmes to have understood the situation.
    Forum Member
    O.K accepting that-how is she in this position-why didn't she change the topic-surely the warning signs must have been flashing in her head
  • Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Would be good to see her back on Sky but I have to say I think Paul Boardman is a better presenter and better for Kamara to bond with aswell. I don't think it will replace the banter that McCaffrey and Kamara had but still a good 2nd place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    O.K accepting that-how is she in this position-why didn't she change the topic-surely the warning signs must have been flashing in her head

what warning signs. It's not like Bywater said i'm going to start spelling out swear words in the next 5 minutes
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,534
    Forum Member

To be fair, Sue Barker had no broadcasting experience (to my knowledge) before joining Sky Sports but the BBC was impressed enough to hire her. In my opinion, she has fully justified her position as a Television Presenter.
    Forum Member
    We are not discussing Sue Barker-she has nothing to do with this topic. It's about Clare Tomlinson
    Forum Member
    sherer wrote: »
    what warning signs. It's not like Bywater said i'm going to start spelling out swear words in the next 5 minutes

But sometimes you can have an inkling about what could happen-you sort of think three steps ahead and of possible outcomes and you guard against it
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,534
    Forum Member
    We are not discussing Sue Barker-she has nothing to do with this topic. It's about Clare Tomlinson

Quote from yourself:

Me -> she being Claire Tomlinson

My comment:

To be fair, Sue Barker had no broadcasting experience (to my knowledge) before joining Sky Sports but the BBC was impressed enough to hire her. In my opinion, she has fully justified her position as a Television Presenter.

I think you are being a little disingenuous with regard to your comment. You are a journalist (i believe) so you should understand the comparison with Sue Barker.
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Quote from yourself:

Me -> she being Claire Tomlinson

My comment:

I think you are being a little disingenuous with regard to your comment. You are a journalist (i believe) so you should understand the comparison with Sue Barker.

Yes true, now I see what you were driving at. But not everyone is the same as each other. I am familiar with the incident. Just as Bywater paused for breath on the subject, either Tomlinson or Kamara could have jumped in there and said something along the lines of careful what you say here.

It could have saved all of this
  • Meeko69Meeko69 Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    But sometimes you can have an inkling about what could happen-you sort of think three steps ahead and of possible outcomes and you guard against it

The one thing I can't understand about this is why Kamara appears to have been totally exonerated when surely he is just as responsible as Tomlinson.

Could it be that he is considered somewhat "iconic" and therefore an indiscretions re simply brushed under the carpet?
    Forum Member
    Or is he sacrosanct because his reporting provides comic relief for Stelling on GSS:rolleyes:
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither were ultimately blamed for it - wasn't it the producer?

The producer should have at the mimimum told the presenters to make an apology later in the programme.
    The broadcaster told us that the day after the broadcast, it had launched an investigation into the failure to issue an apology during the programme. As a result the programme producer, with 25 years of previous experience at ITV and Sky, had been subject to disciplinary proceedings, which had resulted in him being demoted and taken off the programme for an indefinite period. It said that all Sky Sports staff had been reminded of the need to be vigilant in monitoring language during ‘live’ broadcasts and of the need for appropriate action where necessary.

Sky said that it had broadcast an apology to viewers at the beginning of Goals on Sunday the following week. It apologised unreservedly for the use of offensive language by a guest on the programme, and for the failure to apologise to viewers during the programme.
    Forum Member
    Embarrassing for everyone concerned
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Embarrassing for everyone concerned

When you hear that word used in a live programme, as a presenter you should know you are in real trouble (as indeed should the production staff):eek:
    Forum Member
    And the thing is that's your career gone-you'll always be remembered for that one moment.

Getting back to the subject in hand, do you not think Sky's powers that be should shoulder some of the blame-given their penchant for hiring people who have no broadcasting training behind them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    sherer wrote: »
    She's still the sexiest girl on Sky Sports at the moment and will forever have the sexiest voice on TV too :D

Wrong on both counts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It's as I said, she's not the looker she was, so maybe a less watched slot might help her slide gently off the screens. This is a reflection of today's pretty society. Can you imagine Frank Bough on sky sports news today?