What's Your Cure or Relief for a Common Cold?

PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
Forum Member
✭✭
So far I've drunk my body weight in Lemsip, rubbed Vicks all over my chest before falling asleep and just now put my head over a bowl full of very hot water with Vicks in it. And yet I still cannot breathe and snot is pouring out of me.

All tips welcomed.

Comments

• Banana HeadBanana Head Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Honey and Lemon always soothes me - other than that, keeping warm and rest.

You could try eating something really spicy, that might unblock your nose for a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whisky, hot water, slice of lemon with cloves in it and brown sugar (hell doesn't matter if you have a cold or not!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beechams All-In-One tablets
    Turn central heating down a degree (off in bedrooms)
    Put water in containers on top of radiators - humidify the air
    Wrap up warm
    Get some fresh air
    Hot bath with Vicks Vapo bath in the water before bed
    Comfort foods
    Sleep lots
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like the comfort foods idea. :D:o
  • JuceeJucee Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that makes me feel better is hot lemon, not lemsip, but a kind of home made version. I get a lemon slice it up and put it in a pan of water and boil for a bit till the lemon is going mushy, taste it to make sure it's lemony enough or not too lemony and then add some sugar or honey to taste. I then just keep topping it up with more water and lemon and drink lots of it.
    My Nan and my Mum used to make it for me when I was a kid when I had a cold, so I'm not sure if it is just a psycological comfort thing, but I made it for my o/h when he was ill and he said it made him feel better too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL

Seriously, you should humidify the air in some way.
    Snot encrusted in your sinuses is very difficult to shift. I had to have the builders in once
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh another good one is get some fresh ginger - chop it up and boil in about a cup and a half full of water for about 10 minutes, it thickens it up (add some sugar to taste) this is amazing, really strong and good relief

(I still prefer the hot whiskey!)
  • NealeNeale Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do the lemsip thing and just battle it out, and I agree with comfort foods ;)

Getting a hot curry might just clean out your nose ;) - but I count that as a comfort food, so I don't have it as a remedy ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Echinacea
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it feed a cold and starve a fever or feed a fever and starve a cold?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feed a cold. Starve a fever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Is it feed a cold and starve a fever or feed a fever and starve a cold?

But it's an old wives tale - however if it's a cold you have then believe it and feed it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to try the air humidifying thing and the honey and lemon in water.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Vicks first defence is good - it does make your nose run more but that's to expel the germs quicker (which is why you do it anyway).

Otherwise the cool stuff - curry, alcomohol....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcomohol. :D That's so cute.
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    I usually drink lots of fluids, and take vitamin C, echinacea, paracetamol and phenylephrine. The last two you'll find in things like lemsip but I prefer tablet form as I don't like the the sweet lemon flavour.
  • TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    Heat,not boil orange juice,preferably freshly squeezed and drink up,when required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemsip Max, few teaspoons of lemon juice, and honey. Have a stinking hot bath/shower, put on your best PJ's, dressing gown and then wrap yourself in as many duvets as you can find and don't move from the sofa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good shag helps too. Makes you feel like you don't look too bad even though you feel like a dawg :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    So far I've drunk my body weight in Lemsip, rubbed Vicks all over my chest before falling asleep and just now put my head over a bowl full of very hot water with Vicks in it. And yet I still cannot breathe and snot is pouring out of me.

All tips welcomed.

Get yourself some VITAMIN C. Take huge quantities of it, seriously, it can stop a cold in it's tracks. By huge quantities I mean ignore the government guidelines of 50mg and take 4000mgs!

When you start to feel better, continue to take at leaste 2000mg per day. Take it with milk and avoid caffeine 2hrs before or after taking it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lempsip and brandy just before bed. It's gross but hubby swears by it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Grated ginger
    Juice of a lemon
    Honey
    Hot Water
    Chuck it in a cafetiere (if you're feeling posh) and mix it up - lovely!!!
    I sometimes have it when I'm not ill as it's a good little pick-me-up!
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    lambing wrote: »
    Get yourself some VITAMIN C. Take huge quantities of it, seriously, it can stop a cold in it's tracks. By huge quantities I mean ignore the government guidelines of 50mg and take 4000mgs!
    The problem with taking very high levels of vitamin C though (over 1000mg a day) is that it can lead to diarrhoea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »
    The problem with taking very high levels of vitamin C though (over 1000mg a day) is that it can lead to diarrhoea.

Better out than in!*

*Not actual medical advice.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take a hit of barocca to replace lost fluids and Vitimims at the start of the cold, and then Beechams All-In-One tablets if the cold gets full blown. It's the only cough and cold medicine that's worked for me, and it kicks in ver quickly.