Options

Do singers and musicians make good radio DJs?

London EyeLondon Eye Posts: 2,803
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you think of singers and musicians being radio DJs? Just because they can sing, this doesn't necessarily mean they can host good radio shows!

A few examples of good and bad on the radio:

Good

Alice Copper
Suggs
Suzi Q
Michael Ball

Bad

Tony Hadley
Lulu
Elaine Paige
Boy George

Can you think of any you are think are good or bad? Are there any you think would be ideal for radio?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard him, but doesn't Bruce Dickinson (off of Iron Maiden) do a rock show?
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    He does, and he's not bad.

Also, does Daniel P. Carter (who used to be in A) still do the Radio 1 Rock Show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ElMarko wrote: »
    He does, and he's not bad.

Also, does Daniel P. Carter (who used to be in A) still do the Radio 1 Rock Show?

Yeah, he does. Again, really good show!

Didn't know he was in a band though! Learn something new every day. :p
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Baker from Jesus Jones and ex Kenickie lead singer Lauren Laverne were excellent on Xfm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Clint Boon from the Inspiral Carpets is pretty good on XFM Manchester
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Riley (Lard) is quite good and he used to be in The Fall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in 1999, the group Phats & Small sat in for Dave Pearce on Dance Anthems and I thought they were truly brilliant! I was surprised they weren't offered a permanent slot on the station.

Who remembers the Dreem Team on Radio 1? I personally couldn't stand them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dreem Team made tunes but they were also DJ's on the London pirates. I thought they were good.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy Garvey out of Elbow's good on 6 Music.

When Zane Lowe was away, he had various musicians sitting in for him and although The Young Knives were pretty good the surprise hit was Coldplay's Chris Martin who was very funny and played some great music.

Keith Moon sat in for John Peel back in the day. It would be interesting to hear if he was any good.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin_S wrote: »
    The Dreem Team made tunes but they were also DJ's on the London pirates. I thought they were good.

The Dreem team on Sunday mornings was the nadir of Radio 1.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London Eye wrote: »
    What do you think of singers and musicians being radio DJs? Just because they can sing, this doesn't necessarily mean they can host good radio shows!

Good

Alice Copper
    Suggs
    Suzi Q
    Michael Ball

Bad

Tony Hadley
    Lulu
    Elaine Paige
    Boy George

Can you think of any you are think are good or bad? Are there any you think would be ideal for radio?

I thought Lulu was ok when she was on Radio 2, certainly not worthy of the bad list. I never liked Katrina though.

Am I allowed to add Tony Blackburn and Jimmy Young to the list?
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I thought Lulu was ok when she was on Radio 2, certainly not worthy of the bad list. I never liked Katrina though.

If you do that you could add Terry Wogan as well...

Even Moyles had a track which got to number 1 in the download charts...

Another 'proper' musician could be Bob Dylan of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »

I kind of liked Lulu after a while but then she started to grate. Most of the time she sounds unsure of what she is doing!

I forgot about Jimmy Young. I liked him on Radio 2. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    James Merit who used to be on kiss100, still is sometimes, was in the choir on the living years by mike & the mechanics, years before he was a dj! :D
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

Good

Alice Copper
    Suggs
    Suzi Q
    Michael Ball

Bad

Tony Hadley
    Lulu
    Elaine Paige
    Boy George

Dont forget Mike Sweeney (I'll let you decide which list)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Sweeney is alright as it happens! He'd make a good presenter for a 60s show on Radio 2.
  • Options
    JG1970JG1970 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick Wakeman on Planet Rock is excellent Saturday mornings and another name to throw into the hat Stuart Cable (ex-Stereophonics) on Kerrang! Radio
  • Options
    srhugosrhugo Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't put Suggs in the "good" category!

There's Johnny Vaughan who had a number one hit with Denise Van Outen, and of course Myleene Klass. The former most definitely in the good category, Myleene has been OK too.

Stuart Cable has already been put forward, a good choice here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mike Sweeney is alright as it happens! He'd make a good presenter for a 60s show on Radio 2.

Brilliant idea, as long as he leaves Gold drivetime! (come to think of it anytime).:)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I cant believe nobody has mentioned Noddy Holder yet. Anyone remember him on Xtra AM?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noddy Holder! How could I forget about him! He's fantastic and well worthy of his own 70s show on Radio 2!
  • Options
    Mr. XMr. X Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about most people who've passed through the revolving doors of The Revolution in the past couple of years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More for the bad list:

Myleen Klass

Lesley Garrett

Tom Robinson
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembered this thread whilst reading the tributes to the great Lou Reed.

He had a show called Lou Reed's New York Shuffle on the Sirius channel The Loft, and some of the shows were also carried by 6 Music. According to one of the obituaries I read, he started out presenting a jazz show on WAER in Syracuse NY, but was fired for belching on air.

Another great musician who started out in radio is Sly (as in The Family) Stone who DJ'ed on KSOL in San Francisco in the 60s. There's an aircheck here with Sly singing along to Ray Charles.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Read. No comment.