Live Aid Documentary

2»

Comments

• stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    The documentary did keep making out that Live Aid was the first true satellite global event. But what was the first man on the moon? I would say that was the first - a long time before that!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The documentary did keep making out that Live Aid was the first true satellite global event. But what was the first man on the moon? I would say that was the first - a long time before that!

Or even this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_World_%28International_TV_special%29
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I never fully understood why they used the Whistle Test presenters as it was hardly their thing. I bet messers Bates, Travis, Read and Smith were a bit miffed

Mike Smith actually did present it, he did the post-10pm slot, but not from Wembley, from a nightclub in London where they mixed live acts from the US leg with highlights and interviews, plus Cliff who turned up and sung a song he'd written about the event.

At the time, Top of the Pops was a production of the light entertainment department so the only official contemporary music show on the BBC was Whistle Test, and in previous years they'd done quite a lot of live concerts, as well as, by that point, two editions of Rock Around The Clock which ran on BBC2 all day, from 3pm Saturday to 6am Sunday with a mixture of live performances, videos and films. Some of that was quite mainstream and of course Mark Ellen and David Hepworth had both edited Smash Hits.

So they had some experience of doing live music telly, though nothing as big as this.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    They made the point black American artists in affect boycotted the US show, but Stevie Wonder did play at Wembley.

I didn't notice any mention of Stevie or the story of his equipment being stolen, which delayed his appearance.

The story about Bill Graham, the attorneys and the police being called to eject him is so typical.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a sound engineer I am slightly annoyed at the fact that the only really mention of the sound team was the Paul Macca mic not being on - excuse me how about the many many other bands who sounded amazing not too mention the week of 20 hour plus days rigging the gig.

Those guys must have been knackered beyond belief, emotionally drained and yet somehow on a high. Yes one mic wasn't on, but every sound engineer alive must have made a mistake like that.

If the team of sound/lighting/stage crew/film crew are reading this, I am tipping my hat to you.
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    They made the point black American artists in affect boycotted the US show, but Stevie Wonder did play at Wembley.

I didn't notice any mention of Stevie or the story of his equipment being stolen, which delayed his appearance.

But that wasn't Live Aid, was it? It was the Mandela concert in 1988.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    It was a true milestone in performance for sure.
    I also found it to be the peak of the self-importance of performers in the music business.
    There was nowhere to go after Live Aid it was the ultimate.
    Sir Bob tried to duplicate it with Live 8 but it was not the same.

Bob got some pretty simple things wrong with 'Live8' firstly the 'golden circle' was hideous, and went against the very aims of the show, freeing the world from poverty. It also killed the atmosphere.

he also wasted time trying to encourage people to sail across the channel to the event. Which was completely ignored.

and I don't think having so many gigs on one day worked, as it meant some big bands like Green Day got sidelined by playing Germany and not really shown on the London centric broadcast. It would have been better to have had the international gigs the weekend before (to generate interest) and then have the big Hyde Park gig with all the best acts of the other shows the week after IMO

as for the Live Aid documentary, I found it very interesting and well made.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the 10 hour dvd of the concert itself too

Just got around to watching this. All I can say is wow - without doubt, the best documentary I've seen on this. Can't get over Bob's audacity, and nerve and how he got what he wanted with sheer cheek and bluff! The bit at the Press Conference, when he was announcing he'd secured top artists (but he hadn't and was working on the assumption that each would say - oh well, if THEY'RE appearing.... how can I say no!). Saying he had Queen, (Queen's manager was on the 'phone during the actual Conference saying - what are you talking about!) oh yes and the Who had reformed (They hated one another). Most of all though - remembering the day itself and the atmosphere. Definitely going to get the DVD of the concert itself!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night after the Bob/Harvey thing I'd forgotten how brilliant some of the acts were
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone remember a similar 2 part documentary that was on BBC 1 a few years ago about Live8 (think it was first shown around xmas 2005)?

I've been looking for this for a while...not sure if anyone remembers it or knows where you can see it:confused:
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this BBC repeat an edited version?
    I got the 2 parts from BBC3 (or BBC4) earlier this year and it was at least 3 hours if not longer .

Or are they showing the second part next week
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this BBC repeat an edited version?
    I got the 2 parts from BBC3 (or BBC4) earlier this year and it was at least 3 hours if not longer .

Or are they showing the second part next week

It was part 2 of 2. For some bizzare reason the BBC decided not to show part 1. I dont believe they showed it when this was first repeated back in July on BBC4 either. I've certainly never seen it.

Looking at the end credits it seems that it was originally made in 2005 so I presume that the first part has only ever been shown once when it was first made.

Thats always the problem with BBC documentaries like this (and the Live8 documentary I mentioned on a previous post) they are really good but only ever get shown once or twice and then get archived forever. I would guess the best place to look for part 1 would be on BBC4 at some point in a few years time (prob around the 30th anniversary in 2015!):rolleyes:
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both parts were shown twice on BBC4 earlier this year as thats when I recorded them to dvd.
    Although IIRC they showed the 2 parts on consecutive nights then the 2 repeats back to back another night of the same week.

Both parts completely passed me by in 2005 although I did get the 2004 Band Aid documentary that lasts 1 hour.
    Watched that again the other night