Options

Soap couples who just don't work

Comments

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathcat wrote: »

One of the worst pairings has to be Liam and Maria- he was so much better suited to carla

Ditto Tony and Maria, for the same reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grrr! Hannah/Justin and Calvin/Carmel were BOTH awful. I remember Hannah & Justin being a popular AU pairing long before they got together on the show (The original Hollyoaks forum had fans raving about them, even though they were completely AU back then.) It was like the producers remembered that and thought "Well, they're both leaving, so why not stick them together whilst we still have the chance" and it just didn't work.

Calvin/Carmel were too forced. Alek and Carmel were adorable! Why they never kept him on, even during his second minor stint on the show, is beyond me. They were quite a sweet couple, one where you genuinely believed they'd be happy, in their own little way. :D

Oh, and I agree about Steph & Gilly being awful. Just awful. They wasted poor Steph's final months on screen sticking her in a relationship that had no chemistry. So sad.:(

Never got the whole Aden/Belle thing in H&A. Aden was a far more interesting character when he was a bad boy, and Belle was so much better in the feisty relationship she had with Drew (Without him sleeping with her mother.) Together, they sucked the life out of one another. Of all the characters Belle had dated (With maybe the exception of Angelo) the Belle/Aden one was the worse of the lot.

Never like Leah/Elijah either. I'm usually a fan of Leah pairings (Leah/Vinnie and Leah/Dan are up there with my fave H&A couples), but with Elijah, I just never got it. :(

I'm mighty difficult to please when it comes to couples. :D

I agree with you with most of your post (I quite liked Hannah and Justin :o). You are right about Calvin and Carmel, I adored Alek and Carmel and that might have biased my view about Calvin and Carmel, but they were still rubbish together!

Belle and Aden were awful together. It was the final straw for me, when those two got together, I stopped watching H&A.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantelpit wrote: »
    Dev and Deidre -cringingly awful:eek:

Ken and Martha was cute - but equally cringeworthy.:D
  • Options
    polkadottydresspolkadottydress Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve and Becky

Gail and anyone.

Darren and Heather

Michael Moon and Roxy

Jack and Ronnie (sometimes - he seems so unbothered with her!)

Xin and Tina + anyone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually dont take Sophie and Sian seriously at all!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jack in home and way and the single mum (cant remember her name)- she died but they were terrible as a couple
  • Options
    cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I always thought Billy and Honey were a poor match in EE, until she had a personality change into an airhead!
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roxy and Michael's relationship is such a non-entity that I never even considered them as a possible answer to the question until someone else mentioned them. They make Darren and Heather's relationship look ablaze with smouldering chemistry in comparison (no easy feat!) and have as much spark and sizzle as two old ladies making passing conversation in the street. I'd never have guessed we were meant to be taking them seriously as a couple, but I suppose we must be.
  • Options
    ChelseaxxxChelseaxxx Posts: 5,274
    Forum Member
    Can I just say that ronnie and jack have grey chemistry just now is not exactly the best time for tht to be used and Sam and Scott are beatfriends in real life x
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    We have found our 'winners'. [/endthread] :D

hahahaha! too right!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add Theresa and Newt to that
    I thought they were sweet.
    Am I the only one who thought Jamie Baldwin and frankie were just icky? :eek:
    No...bleeurgh.
    qwerty282 wrote: »
    Probably going to be the worst HO couple ever!

I forgot Lauren and Gaz, had no idea how or why they would ever get together. Also forgot about one that has always puzzled me, Craig and Sarah. They never had any chemistry and whenever they were together, they just got on each others' nerves. Also, contrasting that with the amount of chemistry Craig and John Paul had, it made them even less believable.
    I liked Lauren and Gaz but no chemistry with Craig and Sarah, although I half believe that was deliberate writing so that it would be more powerful with JP.
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelseaxxx wrote: »
    Can I just say that ronnie and jack have grey chemistry just now is not exactly the best time for tht to be used and Sam and Scott are beatfriends in real life x

A real life friendship should make them much more convincing, but it doesn't come across on screen at all. Perhaps EE just isn't the right vehicle for Samantha Janus. She isn't too bad an actress, but I don't think that comes across on screen either. Likewise with Scott Maslen, who I always thought was quite watchable in The Bill.

I think they need to start portraying Jack as more of a 'blokeish' character than a Casanova. He's much better as 'one of the lads' than he is as a romantic figure - he's a lot more entertaining when he's arguing with Max than he is when he's arguing with Ronnie, for example. Hopefully the boxing club will be a step in the right direction for him, especially if he can get shot of Ronnie too.

'Chemistry' doesn't always mean sexual chemistry. Jack and Ronnie should be able to relate to each other on some level whether they are in bed or out of it, however badly and so now is just as good a time as any other for their chemistry to be 'used'. It's not though, and it never has been, which is why even at the best of times they seemed to me like participants in a marriage arranged by someone who knew neither of them, and why we're not seeing a relationship breaking down now but seeing just Ronnie breaking down instead.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abi and Jay
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Funny how it's the ones they shove down your throat that often are the ones that don't work. It's all been said already but on HO:

Carmel and Calvin - when anyone could see that the only relationship that ever really worked for her was Alek.

Hannah and Justin - all that build up and then they kiss - and it's totally unconvincing. Strangled at birth. Hannah was a million times better with Darren, but the only one she ever had any real chemistry with was Gilly.

Steph and Gilly - "soul mates" my arse. No one declares someone is their soul mate before they've even kissed. Nonsense.

Mercy/Carl and Mercy/Riley have zero chemistry: possibly the worst triangle ever. Like dry sticks rubbing against each other. But then she's really still grieving for Mal.

The one that's going to beat them all hands down is Ste and Noah. So obvious, and so not working. But then I guess maybe it's not meant to, it's just a plot device to keep Ste and Brendan apart for a bit.
  • Options
    Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Too right. Definitely the most pathetic pairing in any soap ever.

At least it got him away from Michelle, who, in all fairness, I never used to mind until the ridiculous baby swap storyline.

I don't think Jack and Ronnie are a convincing couple.

I really want to like Max and Vanessa (mainly because ZL was so good in Footballers' Wives), but they leave me cold also.

Kevin Webster and the late Molly was just so unbelievable, too.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,219
    Forum Member
    Funny how it's the ones they shove down your throat that often are the ones that don't work. It's all been said already but on HO:

Carmel and Calvin - when anyone could see that the only relationship that ever really worked for her was Alek.

Hannah and Justin - all that build up and then they kiss - and it's totally unconvincing. Strangled at birth. Hannah was a million times better with Darren, but the only one she ever had any real chemistry with was Gilly.

Steph and Gilly - "soul mates" my arse. No one declares someone is their soul mate before they've even kissed. Nonsense.

Mercy/Carl and Mercy/Riley have zero chemistry: possibly the worst triangle ever. Like dry sticks rubbing against each other. But then she's really still grieving for Mal.

The one that's going to beat them all hands down is Ste and Noah. So obvious, and so not working. But then I guess maybe it's not meant to, it's just a plot device to keep Ste and Brendan apart for a bit.

Carmel/Calvin seriously bugged me they wre billed as this couple everyone wanted together. Eh no she was better with Alek and I don't really think Calvin had chemistry with anyone I just liked him removing his shirt.
    Steph/Gilly - She wasn't over Max why do they insist on hooking up widows withi months of their partners dying.
    Hannah/Justin - May have worked if I could get over the fact that all of their history meant they didn't like each other and I'm positive it only happened cos that Danny Valentine actor was sacked.

In H&A

Does anyone else think Belle/Aden was basically her and Drew again much preferred her with Drew and he was better wth Nicole
  • Options
    DessieDessie Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    Roxy and Michael's relationship is such a non-entity that I never even considered them as a possible answer to the question until someone else mentioned them. They make Darren and Heather's relationship look ablaze with smouldering chemistry in comparison (no easy feat!) and have as much spark and sizzle as two old ladies making passing conversation in the street. I'd never have guessed we were meant to be taking them seriously as a couple, but I suppose we must be.

According to Soaplife,
    they're moving in together in a couple of weeks.

But yes, zero chemistry there at all. EE has had a bit of a problem recently with rushing the set up of couples - Roxy went from a single date (which we saw little of), a one-night stand and another quick bunk-up in the afternoon to that scene where she waffled on at Syed about how much she likes Michael and can see a future with him. I doubt anyone in the audience bought that, there's not a hint of a spark between them!

Agree also with the people saying Tamwar and Afia; again, in my opinion, it was too rushed. They had a couple of dates where they were quite sweet together before we were suddenly expected to buy them as Romeo and Juliet, star-crossed lovers kept apart by their warring families. Yeah, right. We keep being told they're in love but that's not what's coming across on screen.

I do think Ronnie and Jack had chemistry once, right back at the beginning before their characters got bogged down by all the tragedies of Albert Square, but those days are long gone. They really haven't worked for a while now.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    nats18 wrote: »
    Carmel/Calvin seriously bugged me they wre billed as this couple everyone wanted together. Eh no she was better with Alek and I don't really think Calvin had chemistry with anyone I just liked him removing his shirt.
    Steph/Gilly - She wasn't over Max why do they insist on hooking up widows withi months of their partners dying.
    Hannah/Justin - May have worked if I could get over the fact that all of their history meant they didn't like each other and I'm positive it only happened cos that Danny Valentine actor was sacked.

That was just the show talking up the flashforward epi, which needed Calvin and Carmel to get back together. Never made a damn bit of sense - no one ever wanted them together as far as I can remember, let alone a second time.

The only person Calvin ever had even the tiniest bit of chemistry with, apart from his reflection, was Louise, but that was because she was so sexy she'd have had chemistry with a plank of wood, which is what he was.

Hannah had more chemistry with John Paul than she did with Justin, and JP was as gay as a handbag full of rainbows.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,219
    Forum Member
    I thought of another HOs couple
    Rhys/Beth (was that his sisters name?)
    The storyline had potential and Andy Moss was good but the sister was worse than a wooden actor I feel it's insulting to wood to call her that so it was very painful to watch
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with alot thats been mentioned on here. I think the truly worst couples ever have to be:

Gilly and Steph
    Jack and Tanya
    Graham and Tina
    Sonia and Naomi
    Darren and Heather

Not a single flicker of chemisty with any of them, all just forced together as plot devices.
  • Options
    HellandBackHellandBack Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Eastenders:
    Ian and Mel
    Phil and Stella

Corrie:
    John and Rosie
    Our Tracey and David - even it was only for one night only! Imagine how evil their offspring would be!
  • Options
    dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »

Ditto Tony and Maria, for the same reason.

No way! Tony and Maria were amazing together, loved them.
  • Options
    dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's Becky and Steve, I hate them together and it's making me dislike Steve, which I never thought could happen.

He can redeem himself if he kills her though.
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Phil and Stella - the most uncharismatic couple ever. But I suppose that was intentional - he was only with her so Ben could have a mother figure, and so with that aspect in place it would make the fall out of Ben's abuse that more dramatic.

Tina and anyone in Corrie - looks wise David was all wrong, Jason made up for that but then he was too dim for her and Graeme isn't working now either for some reason. If she had to be with an already-existing character on the Street it should probably be Gary Windass.

Maria and anyone in Corrie as well. The character is naive and that's always been evident by the men she has in her life. Looks wise she ticks all the boxes with the majority of men she's had - Liam, Tony, Jason, the guy she's with now (who's name I can't remember) but they don't seem to match in the personality department. If she could have Tyrone's personality in Liam's body then it's perfect.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil and Stella - the most uncharismatic couple ever. But I suppose that was intentional - he was only with her so Ben could have a mother figure, and so with that aspect in place it would make the fall out of Ben's abuse that more dramatic.

Tina and anyone in Corrie - looks wise David was all wrong, Jason made up for that but then he was too dim for her and Graeme isn't working now either for some reason. If she had to be with an already-existing character on the Street it should probably be Gary Windass.

Maria and anyone in Corrie as well. The character is naive and that's always been evident by the men she has in her life. Looks wise she ticks all the boxes with the majority of men she's had - Liam, Tony, Jason, the guy she's with now (who's name I can't remember) but they don't seem to match in the personality department. If she could have Tyrone's personality in Liam's body then it's perfect.

Agree with everything youve said about Tina and Maria.

However i liked Phil and Stella together, athough yes they didnt work together so do belong in this thread but with them it was intentional - they were meant to be the odd couple. Stella was everything that Phil didnt go for in a woman she was dowdy, shy and not very attractive or confident compared to his previous fiesty blonde glamorous women like Sharon and Kathy etc she was the complete opposite. Phil was with her purely so Ben had a mother figure and of course pyscho Stella worked that out and that why she started her reign of terror. Brilliant storyline.