How many Cherry Bakewell's to get one of my 5 a day?

Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've decided to try and start getting my 5 a day.

Most things have how much of the 5 a day they have in them such as soup etc, but cannot find anywhere how many of the 5 a day Cherry Bakewell's have in them?

Also the same applies to scrumpy - how much do I have to drink to make one of the five?

Cheers Mark.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most things have how much of the 5 a day they have in them such as soup etc, but cannot find anywhere how many of the 5 a day Cherry Bakewell's have in them?

Also the same applies to scrumpy - how much do I have to drink to make one of the five?

Cheers Mark.

None, here is what the NHS recommend.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/5ADAYhome.aspx
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    If the Cherry Bakewells have a cherry on top of each of them, I would imagine that perhaps half a dozen would count as one of your five-a-days but make sure you eat the cherries because they are fruit. Proper.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers Mark.

I laughed!.:D
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Cherry Bakewells have a cherry on top of each of them, I would imagine that perhaps half a dozen would count as one of your five-a-days but make sure you eat the cherries because they are fruit. Proper.

Thanks for that.

Have got quite a few packs in as I really want to be a lot healthier and make sure I get my 5 a day so will try to eat at least one pack a day.

Any idea about the scrumpy? I was thinking of having a couple of pints with a couple of Cherry Bakewell's in the morning, then the same for lunch followed by the same in the evening?

Also when should I start feeling the effects of my new diet if iI stick to this regime?
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    None, here is what the NHS recommend.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/5ADAYhome.aspx

That's what I'm talking about.

Cannot see any metion of Cherry Bakewell's or scrumpy on there!
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member

Thanks for that.

Have got quite a few packs in as I really want to be a lot healthier and make sure I get my 5 a day so will try to eat at least one pack a day.

Any idea about the scrumpy? I was thinking of having a couple of pints with a couple of Cherry Bakewell's in the morning, then the same for lunch followed by the same in the evening?

Also when should I start feeling the effects of my new diet if iI stick to this regime?

I'd imagine that the stronger the scrumpy the healthier it would be as they'd probably have to use more fruit. I think two pints with each meal would suffice.

May I also suggest that you snack on Opal Fruits (or whatever they're called these days) as these also contain fruit. Or Garibaldi biscuits.

I think you'll start to feel and see the benefits of your regime in about a week.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that.

I think you will feel the effects quite quickly. Although I should warn you that a side effect could be a ulcer or diahorea or if you are really lucky both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there is an argument for taking the tax off cider because it can be considered one of your 5 a-day contributors?

According to the NACM Cider Makers website...

"Currently cider and perry contributes around £370m annually, or more than £1m a day, in excise duty and VAT to the UK Exchequer."

Isn't it about time the Government started supporting healthy living? :-)
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    The sugar, vegetable oil and refined wheat flour in a cherry bakewell will knock out any benefits from the cherry!
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A portion of one-of-day is around 80g of fresh produce. I believe the cherry on top of a Bakewell tart (if that's what you're talking about) isn't fresh.

And it might not count (otherwise you could get one of your five-a-day by eating enough fruit-and-nut chocolate bars, which would be extremely unhealthy. Although it didn't stop me thinking that a fruit-and-nut bar was marginally healthier than an ordinary one).
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sugar, vegetable oil and refined wheat flour in a cherry bakewell will knock out any benefits from the cherry!

Did you not notice the tongue in the cheek? ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 18 of own brand bakewells, maybe a few less if you splash out on Mr K's exceedingly good ones. Scrumpy wise, I'd say a pint = 1..
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    Did you not notice the tongue in the cheek? ;-)

Shouldn't this then be in GD or Chatter?
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Oh, really!!
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could also supplement with a Terry's Chocolate Orange.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that.

I'd go for the lot, that way you will have overloaded on your 5 a day over the next week, and can then go back to normal for the following month as you'll be well stocked up.

You should start to feel the effects by day 3, followed by sluggishness, dehydration and nausea.

Best of luck Mark :)
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocolate limes (the boiled sweets) are especially good if you are trying out a healthy diet. Not only do they count towards your 5 a day they also combat scurvy. A superfood indeed.
  • Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be on the safe side I recommed you need to add the following to your diet "just to make sure"

1x Terrys Chocolate Orage
    1x Vodka and tomato juice
    2x Glass of wine
    1x Corona with Lime
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking Black Forest Gateaux, with alternating bottles of red and white wine (just for variety).

The gateaux is loaded with cherries, and wine full of grapes.

Can't see how you could go wrong really.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    I think green jelly and red would be good also, and Fanta must have lots off vit C.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think green jelly and red would be good also, and Fanta must have lots off vit C.

A top ten healthy snack :D

http://www.womanandhome.com/galleries/diet-and-health/14715/6/0/top-10-healthy-snacks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the Cherry Bakewell only has half a cherry you need to consume 22 a day to get one of your five a day, don't forget it's got plum jam in and almond flavouring so that's three of your five a day.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I have two cherry pop tarts for my second breakfast at work every day at 09:30.

All part of a balanced diet. For every healthy and nutrient loaded freshness, you *must* have something unhealthy too.

I stick to 5000 calories a day, and eat every 3 waking hours. (BMI - 23.2)
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget to top up on martinis with the stylish olive. Olives are full of goodness and beloved of those on Mediterranean diets.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and a tin of sour lemon drops would up your vit C by 200% easily!