America HD

SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
Forum Member
✭✭
America HD, apparently sky are launching this channel soon. Anybody have any information about it ? Heard rumours it may be a version of BBC America. All rumours only, nothing confirmed. Virgin media have been naming America HD in their terms and conditions when doing price comparisons with sky. Ie virgin doesn't include Sky Atlantic or America HD.

Comments

• chammer97chammer97 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports America possibly?

This could be seen as them fighting back at BT. Maybe a Sky exclusive channel?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America HD, apparently sky are launching this channel soon. Anybody have any information about it ? Heard rumours it may be a version of BBC America. All rumours only, nothing confirmed. Virgin media have been naming America HD in their terms and conditions when doing price comparisons with sky. Ie virgin doesn't include Sky Atlantic or America HD.

Can you link us to where Virgin are using "America HD" in their T&Cs?

And are you sure it's America. The only other channel that Sky are part of launching that won't be on Virgin Media is ITV Encore HD.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »

And are you sure it's America. The only other channel that Sky are part of launching that won't be on Virgin Media is ITV Encore HD.

It's true. I saw an advert for Virgin Media in a newspaper and it definitely said "Sky America" in the small print, although I dismissed it as a typo for Atlantic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which paper? Quick internet search brings up nothing!

EDIT: actually throws up a lot about the old ESPN America HD which was only available on Sky.
  • kenedinkenedin Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be BBC America HD.

This, from Wiki:

BBC America HD is a 1080i high definition simulcast feed of BBC America. It is available nationally by satellite provider Dish Network,[8] DirecTV,[9] and regionally by Xfinity by Comcast,[10] Charter Communications,[11] Cablevision,[12] Time Warner Cable,[13] Cox Communications,[14] Verizon FIOS,[15] AT&T U-verse and some smaller providers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenedin wrote: »
    Could be BBC America HD.

This, from Wiki:

BBC America HD is a 1080i high definition simulcast feed of BBC America. It is available nationally by satellite provider Dish Network,[8] DirecTV,[9] and regionally by Xfinity by Comcast,[10] Charter Communications,[11] Cablevision,[12] Time Warner Cable,[13] Cox Communications,[14] Verizon FIOS,[15] AT&T U-verse and some smaller providers

Why would that be coming to the UK?
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,938
    Forum Member
    Bangers wrote: »
    It's true. I saw an advert for Virgin Media in a newspaper and it definitely said "Sky America" in the small print, although I dismissed it as a typo for Atlantic.

Got the ad in front of me (from The Sunday Times). The Virgin Media ad which says "Hi Sky customers, we could save you over £400 a year"

In the small print it says "Sky Atlantic, Sky 3D or America HD not included with Virgin Media".

No reference to "Sky America".

I'm pretty sure the reference to "America HD" should be to "Atlantic HD". I find it hard to imagine Virgin would make reference to a channel that not only doesn't exist but hasn't been announced. Hard to imagine a channel simply called "America HD".

In the absence of anything more tangible to the contrary I'd favour the misprint argument.
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Got the ad in front of me (from The Sunday Times). The Virgin Media ad which says "Hi Sky customers, we could save you over £400 a year"

In the small print it says "Sky Atlantic, Sky 3D or America HD not included with Virgin Media".

No reference to "Sky America".

I'm pretty sure the reference to "America HD" should be to "Atlantic HD". I find it hard to imagine Virgin would make reference to a channel that not only doesn't exist but hasn't been announced. Hard to imagine a channel simply called "America HD".

In the absence of anything more tangible to the contrary I'd favour the misprint argument.
    Misprint I reckon
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    kenedin wrote: »
    Could be BBC America HD.

This, from Wiki:

So when BBC are proposing to close/reduce a channel in BBC Three, they'd then launch BBC America in the UK..?
    No.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    So when BBC are proposing to close/reduce a channel in BBC Three, they'd then launch BBC America in the UK..?
    No.

We'll BBC America is WW and not associated with the closing of BBC Three, but no, it won't come to the UK as it pretty much holds the same rights as UKTV with a few additional shows from other channels.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://i.imgur.com/OhVSxk3.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »

Hmm that's interesting, got to be a misprint!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am just wondering if AMERICA HD could be VM equivalent of Atlantic ?? Have they signed up any programming rights recently? Just a thought. Probably a mistake. Sloppy if it is a mistake by VM. You wouldn't see sky making an error like that. Tempted to phone them up and ask them what AMERICA HD is?
    Forum Member
    I am just wondering if AMERICA HD could be VM equivalent of Atlantic ?? Have they signed up any programming rights recently? Just a thought. Probably a mistake. Sloppy if it is a mistake by VM. You wouldn't see sky making an error like that. Tempted to phone them up and ask them what AMERICA HD is?

If it was a VM equivalent of Atlantic why would it be in the phrase "...America HD not included with Virgin Media."

It is just a misprint (in the absence of any credible, rather than fanciful, evidence to the contrary).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was a VM equivalent of Atlantic why would it be in the phrase "...America HD not included with Virgin Media."

It is just a misprint (in the absence of any credible, rather than fanciful, evidence to the contrary).

Good point lol
  • DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it's a misprint that's a hell of a misprint, apart from starting with "A" they neither sound nor look alike.

Demographically they don't even have a connection, one is an ocean and the other a continent, so it's hard to believe it's a misprint.

That said, i have no idea what it's meant to be/mean, if anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's Metro newspaper had another advert from Virgin Media and once again the small print said that "Sky Antantic, Sky 3D and America HD" were not available.

I'll try and upload a scan of the small print later. If this is a mis-print I'd have thought it would have been corrected after two weeks of the original advert going out.
    Forum Member
    Yesterday's Metro newspaper had another advert from Virgin Media and once again the small print said that "Sky Antantic, Sky 3D and America HD" were not available.

I'll try and upload a scan of the small print later. If this is a mis-print I'd have thought it would have been corrected after two weeks of the original advert going out.

I'd have thought the same...but i'm still sure that it is a misprint nonetheless.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't even heard of Sky Antantic either :-p
  • steve.iesteve.ie Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    America HD also mentioned in small print in today's Metro.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I haven't even heard of Sky Antantic either :-p

This coming from someone calling them-self DarthFader!

Anyway... here is the advert I mentioned the other day.

(Advert in full)
    (Zoomed in)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm begging to the think it's not a misprint - but then there are no credible bits of information anywhere.
  • HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    We'll BBC America is WW and not associated with the closing of BBC Three, but no, it won't come to the UK as it pretty much holds the same rights as UKTV with a few additional shows from other channels.

I wish they would launch BBC World News HD but there are no exciting launches on Sky just channel renames.
  • DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be a bit obvious but has anyone with a Virgin Media TV account considered asking Virgin Media what America HD is, and when it might be launched on Sky?
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This coming from someone calling them-self DarthFader!

Anyway... here is the advert I mentioned the other day.

(Advert in full)
    (Zoomed in)

Well I wanted the username bangers but someone took it :D:D