Options

My little princess died last night..and I'm absolutely devastated

chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
Hello.

My cat died last night and I'm not really a diary person so I hope it's ok if I create another 'lost pet' thread. I can see why so many people do it because it really helps...

Last night at about 6:30pm, our neighbour from down the road arrived sobbing at our door, saying that he'd found my beloved Kitty dead in the gutter :cry:

I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing. All I kept saying was "no...no...no...are you sure she's dead? Are you sure?!" and crying my eyes out. My mum was too (and she finds it very difficult to cry. She couldn't even cry when her mum died!) He said he'd gone out to put his car away and saw a lump across the road and immediately knew it was her..and that she was gone. He picked her up and took her to his house (because she used to go round there every so often to keep them company..and get fed every now and again! :D) wrapped her up in some towels, and sat there rocking her back and forth on his stairs for about 15 minutes whilst he was deciding how on earth he was going to tell us.

I rang my boyfriend and my brother and they came over straight away. My neighbour was still cradling her on our stairs at this point, crying as he loved her as much as we did since his cat died. He didn't want me to hold her or look at her because...she was covered in blood...and I could see it seeping through the towels :cry::cry: My mum, brother and boyfriend saw a bit of her face though and said she looked like she was asleep. All my neighbour said was that her head suffered the damage as her body was fine, so hopefully this means she died quickly.

My boyfriend and brother dug a hole in the garden where she used to sit sunbathing in the Summer, and I just sat on the hall floor talking to my neighbour about how on earth could this have happened. We live on a really small quiet cul-de-sac, but unfortunately, there is a blind corner and people do occasionally just rip round the corner not thinking twice about another car coming the other way, let alone a kitty in the road :(

When the hole was finished, she was wrapped up in one of my wooly jumpers, then in some towels, then placed in a box that was decorated with messages from all of us, then it was duct taped up and buried. We lit two little candles and all said our prayers and goodbyes in our heads.

I'm so cut up about it. Unbelievably so. Since I've finished uni and started looking for a job, I spent all day every day with her, and she would sleep in my bed every night..even if it meant not being able to pull the covers over me or change sleeping positions :D I'd be on my computer in my room, or in the sitting room and she'd just creep in every so quietly and let out this "MAOW!" meaning, "I'm here!" and I'd just scoop her up and kiss her all over her body :)

She really was my little princess. So gorgeous and sweet. She never once hissed or scratched anyone in her lifetime, and she would always let me give her cuddles or kisses, even though I wanted some practically every hour :D

I'm going to miss her so so much...because all I keep thinking...is that she was taken from us. She shouldn't have been hit...she was supposed to die of old age at mine and my boyfriend's house when we'd eventually have moved out. This was just too soon. And we had no idea it was coming.

Can't stop thinking about her and her gorgeous little face. Can't believe she's gone...actually gone and I'll never see her, smell her or touch her again :cry:

Here she is (YouTube link)

Here are some previous threads I've made about her

How vets refer to your pets

Picky Kitty!

Really sad as I think my cat is missing

Think my Kitty is ill

Comments

• Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry for you loss.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So very sorry for your loss the only thing I can say is she was clearly so well loved you could not have done more for her if you had tried and that is a wonderful thing to be able to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

I do keep thinking she really was well loved by so many people and that she was treated very well too. I also keep thinking of all the good times and cute little things she did, and that makes me smile.

But then I also inevitably think "Wow...I won't ever get to see that again" :cry: and then I get upset.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I got goose bumps reading your post, I'm so sorry you've suffered the loss of your beloved Cat :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to read your post, chuck_wippl. Nothing is more distressing than losing a beloved pet, more so when unexpected.

She was clearly much loved and looked after and no creature could ask for more. :(
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry. I gave my cat an extra cuddle when I read this thread, he's 16 now, health is good, but I know in a few years he'll be gone, and I dont know how I'll cope, he's been so much part of my life.
    You have my thoughts OP, again, I'm so so sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    so sorry to hear that op. I'm glad she didn't suffer and that your neighbour came to tell you (alot wouldn't bother).

hugsx
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has made me cry OP. I can tell you all loved her so very much, and that little video of her was so sweet. It's nice you have that to remind you of her.

RIP little Kitty xx (I'm assuming that was her actual name).
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My last cat died of natural causes about 8 years ago in my back garden on a hot summers day aged about 15.
    It was a horrible time for us, and buring him in the garden was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.
    You have my sympathy OP, but time does heal, and maybe you can have another cat in the future.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel for you, my heavily pregnant cat was found dead in a neighbours' shed last summer, very upsetting.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for everyone's kind words and empathy, and also for sharing your stories too. It really does help knowing loads of people on here not only feel as much love for their pets as I do for my cat, but also to know people have gone through the same thing and understand that it is perfectly normal to be this upset by the death of a pet/cat.

I've just been outside scrubbing the bit where she died, and after I got up, I just stood there and stared at that spot for what felt like hours. Thinking how she was only a mere 30 metres from our house :( and we didn't know.

My friend said what helped her get over the loss of her cat was getting another one. But I don't know how I feel about that just yet. It's not the replacing aspect I'm worried about, because I 100% know that it's not about replacing her at all. She is, irreplaceable. It's more nerves about, what if it happens again? Or what if the new cat has a completely different personality and doesn't love me like Kitty did? (and yes, her name really was Kitty :o)

For now I'm quite happy with all the pictures and videos I have of her I think. I can't help but talk out loud to her too, like she's still here :)
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know exactly how your feeling my cat was run over the other day and diedwe are devastated totally

RIP little one
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »
    My last cat died of natural causes about 8 years ago in my back garden on a hot summers day aged about 15.

You know, although the death of an animal is sad, that's such a beautiful way to go - in a favourite place, on a sunny day and at peace. My oldest cat is 17, and I know he'll have to go sometime in the not too distant future - I pray that since he has to go, I'll just find him peaceful like that, and not have to have him put down.
  • Options
    fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    Thanks for everyone's kind words and empathy, and also for sharing your stories too. It really does help knowing loads of people on here not only feel as much love for their pets as I do for my cat, but also to know people have gone through the same thing and understand that it is perfectly normal to be this upset by the death of a pet/cat.

I've just been outside scrubbing the bit where she died, and after I got up, I just stood there and stared at that spot for what felt like hours. Thinking how she was only a mere 30 metres from our house :( and we didn't know.

My friend said what helped her get over the loss of her cat was getting another one. But I don't know how I feel about that just yet. It's not the replacing aspect I'm worried about, because I 100% know that it's not about replacing her at all. She is, irreplaceable. It's more nerves about, what if it happens again? Or what if the new cat has a completely different personality and doesn't love me like Kitty did? (and yes, her name really was Kitty :o)

For now I'm quite happy with all the pictures and videos I have of her I think. I can't help but talk out loud to her too, like she's still here :)

My last cat, Spike, died when he was only 9. He fought cancer for the last 3 years of his life until it came to the point where he could no longer eat and I had to have him put to sleep. I broke my heart over him.

It was two years before I could even think about having another cat - and when I did, I took in two feral rescue cats (brother & sister). They had been in pens with Cats Protection from being kittens, and were 18 months' old when they came to me.

I never thought I could ever feel the same way about any other cat as I did about Spike, but 8 years on after taking in my two little ferals, my heart sings every time I see them running free. I love them without reservation - & they love me, too. ;):)

You have a lot of love to give - don't deprive some little furball who really needs an owner like you.
  • Options
    GracietwoGracietwo Posts: 218
    Forum Member

Gosh, I know just how you feel so I'm sending you a virtual hug...
    I had to make the decision to have my fur baby Molly PTS on Saturday and the pain of losing her is unbearable :cry: The only comfort we can take at a time like this is to look back and know that we gave them a happy life, comfort and lots and lots of love.
    Our pets are amazing creatures who love us unconditionally and give our lives so much fulfillment. You have lost a family member and the void our babies leave when they are taken away is huge. Take your time, remember her often, cry when you need to. They say time is a healer - I hope it's true.
    Take time to grieve for her and when the time is right for you to find a new pet, you will know. You wont ever replace Kitty, but Im sure that you'll eventually open your heart and fall in love all over again.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry OP and everyone else who has lost a beloved pet recently :cry:

Sleep tight xxx
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So very sorry you have lost your Kitty.

RIP little one :cry:
  • Options
    Juliet_G_Juliet_G_ Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Even when my Billy was poorly & had to spend the night in hospital, I cried and cried, thinking he'd be lonely without us.

I'm so so sorry, I can only imagine how heartsore you are. A lot of people don't understand that pets are a part of the family & you grieve for and miss them as much as a person but you've a lot of love & sympathy on here from other animal lovers.

Take care. JX.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to read about Kitty, OP :( So many cats being lost to the road these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really sorry to hear of your loss, take care x
  • Options
    NewBallsPleaseNewBallsPlease Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(
    Poor little Kitty.

Like others have said, she was obviously adored and had a happy home with people who loved her. Doesn't make the loss any easier (I know, trust me), but you gave her a fantastic life, and I'm sure Kitty was a happy, contented kit kat.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    RIP Kitty. Sounds like there are some other furballs up in cat heaven with you - say hi to Charlie for me. x

OP, I couldn't face getting another cat. We got a puppy instead who I love to bits, although it took me a little while to feel that way. I know I'll get another rescue cat at some point cos I love cats, but right now I still miss my Charlie so my grief needs to lessen before I take another cat on. Have been looking though.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (((hugs)))
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has lost a beloved pet should read The Rainbow bridge
    It is very sad but very comforting as it gives hope that you meet up again one day
    I remember reading it when Paul O' Grady lost his beloved Buster
    I had a cat as a child & she died a week before her 20th birthday & she's buried under a lilac tree
    I was heartbroken when she died & my dog & then my pony who I had for 24years
    RIP KittyB]
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    RIP Kitty- she looks just like my little Pixie girl- I know I would be devasted if anything happened to my two. She had a good lfe and was very much loved.