People who want to do Strictly

2»

Comments

• Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I didn't read it in the DM - it was reported on other sites too that the finale ratings were one of the lowest in four years. Someone on here said the viewing figures were on Wiki for this series so I looked on there - according to BARB the viewing figures for the last series didn't look too good in comparison with previous series. I guess it depends which source you want to believe.

Which series don't they look good in comparison to? They're millions ahead of anything the show got before 2010 and not even 400,000 off what the show achieved at its absolute peak (in fact about the same distance behind its best ever ratings as IAC was). The final was in the top 5 most watched programmes of the year and the whole show was the most watched series of the year in any genre of programming. Describing them as poor in any sense is a frankly bizarre reach.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Which series don't they look good in comparison to? They're millions ahead of anything the show got before 2010 and not even 400,000 off what the show achieved at its absolute peak (in fact about the same distance behind its best ever ratings as IAC was). The final was in the top 5 most watched programmes of the year and the whole show was the most watched series of the year in any genre of programming. Describing them as poor in any sense is a frankly bizarre reach.

I thought they were poor in comparison to the previous few series.

I don"t care if it was the most watched show of whatever genre......but then I don''t put the show on a pedestal like some people do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of how much anybody "cares" it's the biggest show on tv. If Rebecca got more personal affirmation out of moping joylessly around a show with more or less the same ratings, starving herself, not even being allowed to compete in most of it on medical grounds and being beaten by a vapid titty model and Joey Essex then more power to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of how much anybody "cares" it's the biggest show on tv. If Rebecca got more personal affirmation out of moping joylessly around a show with more or less the same ratings, starving herself, not even being allowed to compete in most of it on medical grounds and being beaten by a vapid titty model and Joey Essex then more power to her.

So what was she meant to do? Wait until the Strictly producers deigned to accept her in a line up! At the end of the day Rebecca got paid for 'IAC' - possibly more than she would have got on strictly had she been accepted - and she got her profile raised.

And remind me who won the last series of Strictly. Oh yeah a vapid, underwear model - who mainly became famous for being a WAG - who was hyped up like no other contestant I've ever seen on the show and imo could barely dance Latin properly.

The ratings were down on the last few series and that was my main point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From her interviews we know that she got to the last stages of consideration, met the show's producers, and was told she didn't fit the mix of people that were doing the show this year. Sounds to me like they were keeping her on retainer for future years like they have done other people who subsequently made the show.

Then she blarted to the press and went to a rival show. If she really wanted to do Strictly and loved it as much as she professed to she could have waited. I would have liked to have seen her, but based on IAC she either has significant medical problems or is a massive diva so I can see why she was rejected, at least for a series where they wanted a female winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From her interviews we know that she got to the last stages of consideration, met the show's producers, and was told she didn't fit the mix of people that were doing the show this year. Sounds to me like they were keeping her on retainer for future years like they have done other people who subsequently made the show.

Then she blarted to the press and went to a rival show. If she really wanted to do Strictly and loved it as much as she professed to she could have waited. I would have liked to have seen her, but based on IAC she either has significant medical problems or is a massive diva so I can see why she was rejected, at least for a series where they wanted a female winner.

What was she supposed to wait for? Only she and the producers know how the meetings went - how do does anyone even know if they gave her an indication if they'd keep her in mind for future series?

As for talking to the press - bearing in mind the media knew of her desire to do strictly - it's only natural that she'd be disappointed. Haven't you ever been disappointed at not getting a job you desperately wanted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not disappointed enough to willingly do "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not disappointed enough to willingly do "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here".

From her perspective it was a job that paid - she was willing to do it - it's not something I'd willingly do if I was a 'celeb' but from what I read she said she doesn't regret doing it. I didn't see much of her on it - even Rebecca and Vincent can't induce me to watch much of that show but if she felt it was a worthwhile experience then who are we to judge.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    I thought they were poor in comparison to the previous few series.

I don"t care if it was the most watched show of whatever genre......but then I don''t put the show on a pedestal like some people do.

The Saturday shows this year were the most watched ever, the actual series average was only 90k down year on year (due to a few Sunday night result clashes with Corrie). The finale was only 300k down on Harry and Aliona's win 2 years previously and in comparison the X factor was down over 4m on the same comparison.
    You can check all the final ratings on http://www.barb.co.uk/ before posting misleading nonsense.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    So what was she meant to do? Wait until the Strictly producers deigned to accept her in a line up! At the end of the day Rebecca got paid for 'IAC' - possibly more than she would have got on strictly had she been accepted - and she got her profile raised.

And remind me who won the last series of Strictly. Oh yeah a vapid, underwear model - who mainly became famous for being a WAG - who was hyped up like no other contestant I've ever seen on the show and imo could barely dance Latin properly.

Even her biggest fans who watched it admit she did nothing but tarnish her own image. As Monkseal said she either has serious medical problems or she is a big diva. Given the reception she got I wish she hadn't done it.
    In comparison Abbey went from early bottom 2 to winning the whole thing. She clearly won over a lot of people unlike Rebecca. Her 'journey' to the hearts of 'Middle' England made for far better tv which is why the producers hired her and not Rebecca.
    All of 80k when you're dealing with an audience of 11m is within statistical error:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake - I don't agree with your opinions because you've tried to pass them off as fact - and as usual your tone is unpleasant so that hasn't convinced me either.

You think my opinion is 'nonsense' - I think your wild assertions/opinions are equally so.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Most of the posts in question have been deleted now - I think it's best this one is left in the past and we go back on track with the topic of the thread.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Earlier I spoke to Jasmin Walia who said she would be interested in strictly, but I can't see it happening anytime soon myself :p

http://telly-planet.co.uk/interview-jasmin-walia-tells-telly-planet-about-bieber-dan-ferne-and-towie/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Earlier I spoke to Jasmin Walia who said she would be interested in strictly, but I can't see it happening anytime soon myself :p

http://telly-planet.co.uk/interview-jasmin-walia-tells-telly-planet-about-bieber-dan-ferne-and-towie/

You never know, if she bags herself a premiership footballer then it could easily be a possibility.

The producers could construct a 'novice' storyline around her, hype her up as the best thing since sliced bread and she could even go on to win.
  • Options
    strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please not Jasmine Wallis!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please not Jasmine Wallis!

It's Jasmin Walia. And why not? If they can put WAGS in the the line up then people from 'reality tv' aren't going to really lower the tone any more than them!
  • Options
    treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i said it previously that i wouldn't be surprised to see Alex Gerrard in the show soon

she saw what it did for Abby Clancy and she wants to get the same "coverage" out of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treetree wrote: »
    i said it previously that i wouldn't be surprised to see Alex Gerrard in the show soon

she saw what it did for Abby Clancy and she wants to get the same "coverage" out of it

Oh great! Then there'll be weeks of fawning, over marking, hype, millions of mentions of Steve Gerrard and people lying sorry claiming that she was a world famous model before she met him if she takes part in strictly :(
  • Options
    MissT10MissT10 Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Oh great! Then there'll be weeks of fawning, over marking, hype, millions of mentions of Steve Gerrard and people lying sorry claiming that she was a world famous model before she met him if she takes part in strictly :(

No worse that Jo Wood surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissT10 wrote: »
    No worse that Jo Wood surely?

Jo Wood was a nice enough person I'll give her that, but only IMO got invited on strictly because of her famous ex but at least she was as I said quite likeable and she was a duffer so it was difficult for the judges to exaggerate her abilities and so thankfully didn't last long.

Nothing IMO could be much worse than what happened last series with the WAG that was hyped up beyond her abilities.