Rooney 300k a week contract

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
Forum Member
Interesting debate on 606 last evening talking about Rooney's alleged 300k per week contract.

They tried to present a balanced argument. One guy, speaking for the majority, saying the wages Rooney and others receive are obscene when you consider the plight of so many hard working supporters who are getting priced out of the game. The "for" argument, was put forward by some typically narrow minded guy saying, if you want to watch the best players then you have to pay the going rate. Supply and demand. Rubbish!!

When you consider Bayern Munich, can charge just 12 pounds entrance fee, the same as Conference in this country, that demonstrates just how much English supporters are being exploited.

There's something so greedy and immoral about the state of the English game. Empty stadia speaks for itself. Not even offering loyal supporters the chance to watch their team via their season ticket.

Whether footballers earn 300k per week or 5 k a week, people will watch. So the argument that you have to pay exorbitant amounts to attract players is truly mythical. Too many are on the gravy train, including agents, the media, that it continues to spiral out of control. Who going to say enough is enough? Why would they?

Many might say Murdoch's revolution in the early 90's was great for football. Personally, i preferred the game pre that time. For me, the current product is inferior whilst the marketing superior.

Give me the old Division One, where the likes of Forest or Ipswich could win the league. Now, four or five clubs stock pile players depriving the league of a more balanced and equal format.

The Championshp extends - in essence - to the top six of the Premiership. Meaning, any team below the top six, would struggle to get out of the Championship. So, this false argument that the Premiership is the greatest thing since sliced proverbials, it tosh. If someone paid me to watch Cardiff vs Norwich, i'd not go lol Well, only if i need some sleep.

Well done Germany, for giving football back to the supporters. In Germany, the fans own their club and enjoy arguably the best league in the world at a price that encourages great attendances.

Come the revolution sister

hanna :D

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Yes players aren't well paid in Germany at all and their league can be won by any of the teams in it......
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    His people certainly pick their moments for new contract negotiations.

Brilliant agents.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sportgal9 wrote: »
    The Championshp literally goes up to the top six of the Premiership.

That's not literal.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You accuse people who share a different view to you being narrow minded, Yet could those people not say the same about you? Harking back to some bygone age (that actually never existed anyway).

Lets just take Rooney's new contract, Its not that much better then his current one, The main difference seems to be a higher bonuses for winning things. You saw this sort of thing even in your "wonderful times" of football. Plus since according to every man and his dog the times of Utd winning things are over, Rooney could be worse off
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in a football sense 300k is alot but its also been done before for top top stars so nothing entirley surprising here.

i wonder if with utds rumoured war chest they are gonna be dishing out 3 figure wages all over the place from now on? a dangerous game perhaps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    That's a fair critique. I realise i'd possibly be attacked for putting "my view" forward.

I don't support any particular football team. Thus my views are objective.

I just care for the health of the beautiful game per se. I honestly, feel Germany now provide an excellent blueprint. Showing fans in this country that there is another way?

There's just so much smoke'n'mirrors in the modern game. The sycophantic punditry constantly telling us we're witnessing the second coming of christ. lol I know different. It's just an average product most of the time but hyped up until most believe what they're hearing.

Come the revolution sister

hanna:D
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,750
    Forum Member
    Its not Rooney earning so much that is the problem as he often performs well but those average players sitting on the bench or even in the stands earning 100k or something.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Depends on both how important they are on the pitch and how important commercially they are to the club, Rooney is clearly hugely important in both regards to Manchester United.

Tell you the truth I'm sick of hearing about footballers wages, it's such a lazy, tired argument. Have you seen how much the top boxers earn, or golfers, or tennis players, or F1 stars, or American football stars, or basketball stars, hell we could extend it to movie stars, or musicians etc.

If you are at the top of your trade you get a wage that reflects that, do people honestly think if Rooney was on 100k a week the fans would be paying any less? Of course they wouldn't, it'll just be money owners take instead, in fact, i would prefer the owners using the money coming into the club on paying the players than them pocketing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    in a football sense 300k is alot but its also been done before for top top stars so nothing entirley surprising here.

i wonder if with utds rumoured war chest they are gonna be dishing out 3 figure wages all over the place from now on? a dangerous game perhaps.

I would not have thought so, Rooney new contract is about right (his next one will be the one where his value goes down) from a playing point of view and his place at Utd, It all depends on who they go for, If they buy more "Mata's" who was not on the same scale wage wise then no but if they go for the short list that contains the really big named players then yes, Its not been Utd way in the past with SAF so it could be different but I have a feeling it wont be myself
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member

I just care for the health of the beautiful game per se. I honestly, feel Germany now provide an excellent blueprint. Showing fans in this country that there is another way?

You're right the German blueprint is excellent, fans for the most part simply aren;t treated like costumers to be exploited over there but this has nothing to do with how much players are payed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    I would not have thought so, Rooney new contract is about right (his next one will be the one where his value goes down) from a playing point of view and his place at Utd, It all depends on who they go for, If they buy more "Mata's" who was not on the same scale wage wise then no but if they go for the short list that contains the really big named players then yes, Its not been Utd way in the past with SAF so it could be different but I have a feeling it wont be myself

if they fall outside top 4 i can see them attracting players(without super wages btw)the likes of benteke,ottamendi & menez kinda levels.

with big wages however who knows...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Depends on both how important they are on the pitch and how important commercially they are to the club, Rooney is clearly hugely important in both regards to Manchester United.

Tell you the truth I'm sick of hearing about footballers wages, it's such a lazy, tired argument. Have you seen how much the top boxers earn, or golfers, or tennis players, or F1 stars, or American football stars, or basketball stars, hell we could extend it to movie stars, or musicians etc.

If you are at the top of your trade you get a wage that reflects that, do people honestly think if Rooney was on 100k a week the fans would be paying any less? Of course they wouldn't, it'll just be money owners take instead, in fact, i would prefer the owners using the money coming into the club on paying the players than them pocketing it.

Spot on. Well said.

Though I think the poster's argument revolves around the fact players in Germany are just as well paid whilst their ticket prices remain cheap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they fall outside top 4 i can see them attracting players(without super wages btw)the likes of benteke,ottamendi & menez kinda levels.

with big wages however who knows...

Utd will still be a top draw, They are still Manchester Utd and the top players are not shorted sighted. They know that if they go there with next seasons core players and plus with the war chest and only City/Real/Barca being a better attraction that it will be a decent chance it would only be for one season and if it was not a "Champions League team" would come in for them the season after anyway.

Even a Utd outside of the Champions League is a massive name to have on your CV.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,750
    Forum Member
    I am not sure it helps the mood of people when the Sun make the Rooney their main front page headline.

That would just make people cross and angry in a way given recent events.

Don't blame the players for taking what they want - its the clubs who offer it or often give in to the demands.

We would all try to get as much as we could.

At least you could argue Rooney earns his wages by generally playing well and appearing to really care about his game and the team.

Can you say that for everyone?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the Wages all Football players, get up to the ordinary jobsworth, are in 2 different worlds.

In the real world is Rooney worth 300k, no, but in the Football world yes.

The sun done a piece this normally, looking at the Statistics of Sir Tom Finney's career to Wayne Rooneys.

It had nothing in comparison
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like the Sun to produce something that makes people rage over irrelevance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »

Even a Utd outside of the Champions League is a massive name to have on your CV.

oh agreed, but liverpool is a huge name in club football too, too many years outside top 4 and it gets harder.

next season will be key, if moyes cant get top 4 they will need to replace him before its too late.

am interested to see how this war chest goes though, i just cannot see likes of cavani joining a team not in champions league unless it is for a huge wage, manchester utd brand or not.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're whole argument kinda goes tits up with the news that season ticket prices at Utd are being frozen for next season. Your argument would suggest that as wages increase, so do ticket prices. Nope.

Wages are high, but what I would rather see is the end of transfer fees. Paying millions for a player is pretty crazy, if football wants to be sustainable in the long term then free transfers is the way to go. I know SSN and kids love transfer windows and record breaking transfers in this country, but if you look at Germany so many big names move clubs on free transfers I can't help but feel that that is the future of football. Of course the system would need some tweaking, otherwise smaller clubs would go out of business within a few months, but I hope one day the multi-million £ transfer becomes a thing of the past.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People pay their Sky/BT sports subscription, most of the money heads to the Premier.

That's simply how it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh agreed, but liverpool is a huge name in club football too, too many years outside top 4 and it gets harder.

next season will be key, if moyes cant get top 4 they will need to replace him before its too late.

am interested to see how this war chest goes though, i just cannot see likes of cavani joining a team not in champions league unless it is for a huge wage, manchester utd brand or not.

Yes but that was a different time, Football has changed since those days.

Its not like someone like Cavani going to a PSG etc to see if it works, They going to Man Utd which would ensure the big clubs would still be keeping a eye on him if they failed to get back into the Champions League after a season. I think the money will be more likely be spent on outbidding other clubs. A Player is worth 45million and Utd offer 55million.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Rooney's alleged new wage was the subject of a five live phone in this morning!

The subject was 'is rooney worth 300,000 a week?' (they're not bothering to look at his contract to see how much he actually would get, of course, lol and how much is basic wage and how much is 'extras')

Anyway, what amused me about it was all they said was is Rooney worth 300k a week. They didn't also ask is so-and-so worth 200,000 a week or 220,000 a week, or even 100,000 a week. And there are loads of PL footballers on that wage bracket, if you believe what you read!

As if Rooney is the only player on obscene wages. All PL footballers are!
    40,000 a week is obscene for a few hours a week playing football.
    But its a football fact of life.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, the Wages all Football players, get up to the ordinary jobsworth, are in 2 different worlds.

In the real world is Rooney worth 300k, no, but in the Football world yes.

The sun done a piece this normally, looking at the Statistics of Sir Tom Finney's career to Wayne Rooneys.

It had nothing in comparison

Thing about the Sun is, last year they picked a figure out the air and decided Rooney was on 250,000 a week, so they had to pick a higher figure for a new contract so they came up with 300,000.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Rooney's alleged new wage was the subject of a five live phone in this morning!

The subject was 'is rooney worth 300,000 a week?' (they're not bothering to look at his contract to see how much he actually would get, of course, lol and how much is basic wage and how much is 'extras')

Anyway, what amused me about it was all they said was is Rooney worth 300k a week. They didn't also ask is so-and-so worth 200,000 a week or 220,000 a week, or even 100,000 a week. And there are loads of PL footballers on that wage bracket, if you believe what you read!

As if Rooney is the only player on obscene wages. All PL footballers are!
    40,000 a week is obscene for a few hours a week playing football.
    But its a football fact of life.

And this is the problem with allowing phone in's etc, They take the headline and ignore everything else. If you look at the details of the new contract, He has raise of nothing major from a money POV but gets more for winning things.

But no all we see is "Man on 300k a week for running around for 90 minutes a week while people can not afford the Sky Movie package"
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Is rooney worth £300k pw?? Nope no player should earn more tnan 100k pw and then they can earn bonuses, titles, goals, clean sheets, european qualifications.

I'm more intrested in why the fa are going to court to prevent andy carrolls move from newcastle to liverpool details been made public.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting debate on 606 last evening talking about Rooney's alleged 300k per week contract.

They tried to present a balanced argument. One guy, speaking for the majority, saying the wages Rooney and others receive are obscene when you consider the plight of so many hard working supporters who are getting priced out of the game. The "for" argument, was put forward by some typically narrow minded guy saying, if you want to watch the best players then you have to pay the going rate. Supply and demand. Rubbish!!

Speaking for the majority? Really? Sure as hell wasn't speaking for me. Guess that makes me narrow minded then.