Johnnie Walker

Chrissy1978ukChrissy1978uk Posts: 233
Forum Member
I have just had the absolute pleasure of meeting Johnnie Walker & his charming Wife Tiggy at Waterstones Birmingham today.A real Gentleman Went outside and said hello to the crowd who had gathered to attend the signing. Also spoke to Tiggy too. Well done Johnnie It was a real pleasure meeting you & Tiggy.

Comments

• NewsbuffNewsbuff Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also spoke to Tiggy his wife? That was big of him!
  • topboytopboy Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Back in his home town eh! Bugger - I work in Broad Street - would have like to have gone to that. Wonder if his old mate Les Ross has seen him.
  • NewsbuffNewsbuff Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they even talk now, although you never know..
    Would like to read Les Ross' book if he ever writes one.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topboy wrote: »
    Back in his home town eh! Bugger - I work in Broad Street - would have like to have gone to that. Wonder if his old mate Les Ross has seen him.
    He was interviewed this afternoon on Les's afternoon programme on WM. I caught the end bit - it sounded good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsbuff wrote: »
    I doubt they even talk now, although you never know..
    Les was talking at the start of the programme, and was saying that he tends to catch up with JW every 10 years or so.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    He was interviewed this afternoon on Les's afternoon programme on WM. I caught the end bit - it sounded good.

Thanks for that - I've just heard it on listen again - fab!
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What time roughly was he on Les' show?
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    What time roughly was he on Les' show?

The last hour
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnnie Walker will be a guest on the Dave Cash Show on Sunday the 8th July 6 - 9pm on BBC Radio Kent.
    From what I understand, they will be reminiscing about the days of offshore radio and talking about the August Pirate BBC Essex broadcasts.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topboy wrote: »
    The last hour

Cheers, just listening to it now!

Wish I had knew about the signing yesterday as I want to buy the book and it would be nice to meet the man himself and have it signed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick anecdote. I was in the Haagen Daas shop in Bayswater, must be over 10 years ago, and Johnnie Walker was stood in front of us. The bloke in front of him had a real problem carrying all his ice cream out to his car - Johnnie Walker left his place in the queue and helped the fella back out to his car. No big deal, but a nice little story (yeah he did get his place back in the queue!). Also remember him from doing lunchtimes on R1 back in the days when the charts were first read out on a Wednesday lunchtime. Our big chance to sit with the girls who had radios! Of course we were interested in the music too! Anyone else remember Pop The Question etc.??? What a fine DJ JW IS.
  • papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know of his book signing movements at all, is
    he coming to cornwall?
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of his book signing movements at all, is
    he coming to cornwall?

Totnes is about the nearest so far on Sunday 15th July.

Feversham Arms Hotel, Helmsley, Yorks today at 12.

http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Events/EventSearchProc/1,,sapid_1000072374,00.html
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember all that, WatfordKev.

JW introduced the cool West Coast sound of The Doobies, The Eagles, Steely Dan et al to the UK during his days as the lunctime jock on Radio 1.

Best DJ ever, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Petingo wrote: »
    I remember all that, WatfordKev.

JW introduced the cool West Coast sound of The Doobies, The Eagles, Steely Dan et al to the UK during his days as the lunctime jock on Radio 1.

Best DJ ever, IMO.

Good call Petingo. For a daytime show in particular, his programme was musically adventurous
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WatfordKev wrote: »
    Good call Petingo. For a daytime show in particular, his programme was musically adventurous

Especially in those days when, for much of the rest of daytime Radio 1, Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man was about as adventurous as it got!:(

The book, by the way, is a good read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The book, by the way, is a good read.
    He was saying on the Les Ross interview that he originally envisaged there being a volume 1 covering the pirate years, and a second volume covering everything else. Shame that it never came about, judging by some of the stories & anecdotes that he tells.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnnie Walker was the soundtrack of the 6th Form Common Room. I thought he was cool then and I still do. And Les Ross was the voice of Breakfast radio when I was at University in Birmingham in the late 1970s. I didn't know he was still alive!
  • Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have fond memories of Johnnie from his days at Radio West. He did 6:30 p.m.-10:00 p.m. and the pubs closed at 10:30, so it was straight out the door! But he had time for everybody, and didn't mind 19-year-old anoraks like myself hanging round hoping for a pearl of wisdom. I'll order the book.

Wish he still did Drive Time!
  • London EyeLondon Eye Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnie sounds like a perfect gentleman! Good on you, Johnnie! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I've just finished reading Johnnie's book and it's not an exaggeration to say that it was difficult to put down!
    I thought I knew a fair bit about the man from his pirate days to Radio 1 then the States then Radio West and 1 again before Radio Two, his drugs problems and his illness.
    There's so much more besides and the man comes across as a great bloke.
    He tells fantastic stories throughout that appeal to both the anorak and the "layman" so to speak.
    The chapter near the end where Tiggy tells the story of his battle with cancer is amazing and incredibly moving and should be used as an inspiration for anyone who's unfortunate enough to suffer from it.
    In my eyes Johnnie has gone from someone who was entertaining and professional on the radio to being one of my heroes. Long may he reign on Sundays and as Wogan;'s fill in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I have just finished reading his book to, and it is the best book I have read for a long time. rigs4's summary and comments above are spot on, and I agree that Tiggy's chapter is the most powerful and moving part of the book.

Highly recommended reading.
  • pettawpettaw Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I read it non-stop cover to cover, really because I couldn't put it down. A guy who, yes, made some mistakes, but who has a huge heart and someone who really believes in what he does. And yes, I do still wish he was on Drivetime, even though I do really like his replacement. Luckily we still get to hear him, live, sitting in for Terry when he's away.
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WatfordKev wrote: »
    ... Also remember him from doing lunchtimes on R1 back in the days when the charts were first read out on a Wednesday lunchtime. Our big chance to sit with the girls who had radios! Of course we were interested in the music too! Anyone else remember Pop The Question etc.??? What a fine DJ JW IS.

Just to be a pedant, it was Tuesday lunchtime. My dad owned a record shop at the time and would do his weekly orders once he knew what the chart for that week was.

That aside, I could not agree more, JW is still a "Boss Jock" 41 years on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the book ! what a book JW what a legend