Brown's letter to Mrs Janes

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll be far more careful next time and probably get everything typed out to avoid any confusion. Shame really as a handwritten letter seems far more personal.

On the contrary, he’s stubbornly stated (or Downing Street has) that he’ll continue to send out his childishly scrawled felt-pen missives, poor grammar et al.

I just wrote some notes (with a proper pen, not a marker pen :rolleyes: ) with one eye closed and managed to maintain neat handwriting and, miracle of miracles, I avoided outrageous typos as well so the defence he’s now falling back on of his vision being responsible for these errors is pathetic in the extreme.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This poor woman is being totally exploited by the Sun, just for the sake of a bit of tittle-tattle. However, looking at the comments on the Sun website, even the majority of their readers are backing Gordon Brown in this episode. If these are the depths that the right-wing media machine are going to sink to in the run up to the general election, then I dread to think how low they'll go next.
  • Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    If these are the depths that the right-wing media machine are going to sink to in the run up to the general election, then I dread to think how low they'll go next.

Would that be the same 'right-wing' media that's been backing Labour for the past God knows how many years and who were essentially responsible for getting the clowns in office in the first place?

Hopefully they'll never sink that low again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She recorded the audio of the phone call and sent it to the Sun, who have it on their website

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2722174/Mum-Jacqui-Janes-at-war-PM-is-humbled.html

just listened to it. seems she was the only one "arguing". obviously taped and prompted by the sun.
    it is so sad that she has lost her son, but sadder that it has turned into this circus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are Sky saying that the transcript was posted. The phone call was posted.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if she recorded that herself, or whether she used equipment supplied by the Sun... Either way, it kind of leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
    When Broon phoned her she "just happened" to put it on speakerphone and she "just happened" to have a "friend" who had a Blackberry with them to record the conversation.

If the Sun is involved it does however suggest that someone in Number 10 is leaking information to them as otherwise they'd have had to have someone hanging around on the off-chance that Broon would ring.

The problem with Broon is that he isn't touchy-feely and doesn't show his emotions openly

BTW does anyone know if Tony or any of his predecessors personally wrote letters to the families of those who died?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are Sky saying that the transcript was posted. The phone call was posted.

Perhaps they originally posted a transcript but then decided to make the audio available instead. Also the paper itself may have the transcript.
  • MisterEMisterE Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Sun:

Listen to the recording here
    The Prime Minister rang Jacqui to blame poor handwriting for any "misunderstanding" on the spelling exposed in The Sun yesterday.

Outraged Jacqui, 47, hit the phone's loudspeaker button to record the call - as she seized the chance to nail him over equipment shortages that put Our Boys in peril.

She handed her tape to The Sun - and you can listen to it by clicking the video link above.

She really lays into Brown - not just over the letter (in which he denies making any mistakes), but also over his lack of commitment to the armed forces, and the lack of helicopters for transport & medivac.

Listening to the recording (particularly from 9m 55s), it's quite clear that her motivation in this is her anger at the lack of equipment - she blames the death of her son on the fact that he bled to death because the resources weren't there to save him.

Whatever the Sun's motivation in using this to bash Brown, I say good on the mother for standing up and confronting him over the only thing that's important to her - the death of her 20 year old son.
  • DXBDXB Posts: 4,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If these are the depths that the right-wing media machine are going to sink to in the run up to the general election, then I dread to think how low they'll go next.

LOL - this 'right-wing media machine' was fine up till about 3 months ago when they stopped supporting Labour

Now. apparently, they sink to 'depths' :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened to the tape. Not sure if The Sun provided her with the means to record it or if she did so herself. There was another person either with her or Brown, a male voice, I presume with her.

In a way Brown can't win this one. She is a very angry and upset mother who has lost her 20 yr old son and blames the lack of resources for his death. It sounds like he was caught in an IED explosion but she believes they couldn't evacuate him in time and he bled to death. And I don't think anything Brown could have said would have helped, other than saying she is right, which he can't say. He clearly doesn't want to get caught up in a debate with her and kept trying to bring the subject of the call back to the letter.

However, I don't think Brown helped himself really with the way he handled the call. It was very much a "Oh hello I'm calling to straighten a few things out about that letter, I did spell his name right btw" type call rather than a "I'm very sorry to have caused you upset, that letter should have been checked first, I understand your anger" apology.

He may struggle to express himself but I wonder how many times he can use that excuse before people start to wonder "Actually, is he just an arse who refuses to admit he is ever wrong?".
  • MCSMCS Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    What a nothing story - and what an ungrateful mother.

He spelt her sons name wrong, big deal, it was a mistake. Someone with some gratitude might take some consolation from the fact that he tried to do the right thing by sending a personal letter, but she runs to the press to condemn him.

Shame on her.

I agree with you, the fact that she ran to the press with it gets me. Ok if she is angry at the letter leave it at that and don't go to the press. Getting your 15 minute of fame though someones death is not right.
  • MisterEMisterE Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to the tape. Not sure if The Sun provided her with the means to record it or if she did so herself. There was another person either with her or Brown, a male voice, I presume with her.

In a way Brown can't win this one. She is a very angry and upset mother who has lost her 20 yr old son and blames the lack of resources for his death. It sounds like he was caught in an IED explosion but she believes they couldn't evacuate him in time and he bled to death. And I don't think anything Brown could have said would have helped, other than saying she is right, which he can't say. He clearly doesn't want to get caught up in a debate with her and kept trying to bring the subject of the call back to the letter.

However, I don't think Brown helped himself really with the way he handled the call. It was very much a "Oh hello I'm calling to straighten a few things out about that letter, I did spell his name right btw" type call rather than a "I'm very sorry to have caused you upset, that letter should have been checked first, I understand your anger" apology.

He may struggle to express himself but I wonder how many times he can use that excuse before people start to wonder "Actually, is he just an arse who refuses to admit he is ever wrong?".

Completely agree. It's a little bizarre that Brown didn't just apologise, and tried to argue about the mistakes made in the letter... but, I guess, that's just his nature.

The recording starts halfway into the argument - had this been a set up from the Sun, I'm sure we'd have heard the whole thing... and how would they have know that Brown was going to call? I'm much more inclined to believe that she recorded the call herself - the other voice in the background being either a family member or a friend.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MisterE wrote: »
    Completely agree. It's a little bizarre that Brown didn't just apologise, and tried to argue about the mistakes made in the letter... but, I guess, that's just his nature.

Yup, the man just can't admit that he is wrong. What is the matter with him?
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The recording starts halfway into the argument - had this been a set up from the Sun, I'm sure we'd have heard the whole thing... and how would they have know that Brown was going to call? I'm much more inclined to believe that she recorded the call herself - the other voice in the background being either a family member or a friend.

According to the BBC the call was made late Sunday night. The Sun had already made downing street aware of the story it would be running (Monday).
  • Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    MCS wrote: »
    I agree with you, the fact that she ran to the press with it gets me. Ok if she is angry at the letter leave it at that and don't go to the press. Getting your 15 minute of fame though someones death is not right.

Her 20 year old son has just been killed. She partly blames Brown's under-funding of the army for that.

She can do what she likes as far as I'm concerned.

To attack and belittle her just because she's humiliated a failed and discredited prime minister is mean spirited beyond words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well actually it's not just about a name spelt wrong..

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00924/SNN0904GX3-280_924722j.jpg

The whole letter is a mess.

So what would people prefer something done on the computer and he just signed his name.

Noone would beleive he'd written it himself and then they'd be another up roar about other people writting the letters for him. People with pour handwritting and bad eye site these days tend to use computers, he's taken the effort to hand write it to proove that its come from him.

Guess some people will never be happy.

Lets just have one standard letter thats printed off and he fills in the name and signs it by hand, would that suit people.

Its the fact as well that it isn't a common surname. Its the first time I've heard it so very easy to make the mistake.
  • NicoNico Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Student@30 wrote: »
    At the end of the day if 'prudent' Gormless Clown can't write a letter without spelling mistakes then God help the economy........:rolleyes:

I bet he never gets his love letters to his so-called friend across the pond wrong....thou we'd never know as I am sure Obama tears them up :D

Seriously thou.....

What. A. Plank.

:eek:

Have you checked your spelling in that post? :rolleyes:

Seriously the mother is being used by the Sun to score cheap political points, i found her behaviour to be more shocking than a mis-spelt name.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's quite clear that her motivation in this is her anger at the lack of equipment .
    No her motivation is the death of her son which she blames on the claimed lack of equipment. We don't know if her son could have survived even if the equipment was available
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    So what would people prefer something done on the computer and he just signed his name.

Well I accept the messy nature of the writing is just his writing style and he admits to that. Fair enough. But at least check the thing before sending it or start again if you make a mistake on a word.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    Noone would beleive he'd written it himself and then they'd be another up roar about other people writting the letters for him. People with pour handwritting and bad eye site these days tend to use computers, he's taken the effort to hand write it to proove that its come from him.

Considering the topic under discussion I have to ask - Are all those typos intentional?

Breakfast covered this (somewhat cursorily if you ask me, not that their pro-Labour stance is interfering with their oft-stated impartiality you understand :rolleyes:) and Broon was apparently receiving more support than condemnation. If you ask me it’s because most people in the country can’t spell either so are all thinking, "there but for the grace of God....."!
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    Why did Mrs Janes feel the need to contact the Sun newspaper ?

$$$$
    Thats the reason

and now shes recorded a private and personal conversation with the Prime Minister to exploit her son's death even further. This woman is truely disgusting. Its absolutely despicable behaviour, grossly out of order.

Mrs Janes should be well and truely ashamed of herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    If you ask me it’s because most people in the country can’t spell either so are all thinking, "there but for the grace of God....."!

But with all due respect to those people, they aren't the PM of the country and they aren't writing to the families of soldiers who have just died in war.

Such a letter is very very important to the family of the man or woman who gave their life for this country. At the VERY LEAST it should be checked for errors before it's sent. Agreed?

No one is accusing Brown of doing it intentionally, that is just rediculous. What people are unhappy about is how this letter was sent in the first place. It should have been checked, simple as that.

It's not asking for much to expect such an important letter to be checked before sending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    Why did Mrs Janes feel the need to contact the Sun newspaper ?

Good question. Yes, that despicable rag is exploiting her for its own ends, but then she went to them in the first place. Six of one, half of dozen of the other.

DXB wrote: »
    LOL - this 'right-wing media machine' was fine up till about 3 months ago when they stopped supporting Labour

Now. apparently, they sink to 'depths' :rolleyes:

The Sun hasn't sunk to any depths. It's always been at the bottom of the sewer.
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    No her motivation is the death of her son which she blames on the claimed lack of equipment. We don't know if her son could have survived even if the equipment was available

Her son could of survived if he didn't sign up for the Army, which was the choice he made. He was 20. He didn't have to sign up for the Army. He wasn't in the Army with nothing to do when he signed up, he was aware we were fighting two wars.

I feel every sympathy for the loss of a loved one, but if I am opening up a computer I expect to see computer parts, if I sign up for the Army I expect to see war.

This woman is exploiting her child's death for political points scoring and its disgusting. If the Government was doing that, or recording conversations with the parents of the dead, there would be complete OUTRAGE.

Hypocritical double standards of Murdoch's machine and the right wing in general :mad::mad::mad:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCS wrote: »

Remember Diana Gould?

Was she wrong to attack Mrs Thatcher over the death of several hundred Argentinians on the Belgrano? She didn't even have any personal involvement in the events yet she became quite famous because of it. Those on the Left treated her as a heroine

Or is it only wrong to attack a Labour Prime Minister?

Personally, Mrs Janes has the right to say whatever she damn well wants.