Options

Sports Personality of the Year 2010

Comments

• Options
    TheGrouchTheGrouch Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Pavster wrote: »
    I'm not anti McCoy. Just had a pythonesque image of ten horses walking around and people betting on it (apparently they run faster without jockeys).

Was a gentle mocking of an anti McCoy poster in fact.

Fair enough, I take it back! Some of the other posts on here are nothing short of ludicrous.

Regards
    TG
  • Options
    EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    No real arguments with McCoy, not a passionate horse racing fan but fair play on his achievements. Also it was a landslide win too judging by the votes. Fairly close Percentage wise between 2nd & 8th. I will upset the darts fraternity but a joke that a fat darts player has beaten some of those below him.
    Phil Taylor's achievements outclass any of McCoy's. :p

Anyway, maybe they should run a separate category for non-sports like darts, horseracing, knitting etc. And that way everyone could be happy. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's slightly tricky with darts. Playing golf isn't physically demanding. At the very highest level it's a mental game. Same with archery, shooting, snooker...
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    You clearly haven't watched any of his pressers

Why, what does he says that's not decent? Links otherwise you are fibbing,,, yet again :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's slightly tricky with darts. Playing golf isn't physically demanding. At the very highest level it's a mental game. Same with archery, shooting, snooker...
    Well, that's not quite true - hitting the ball as far as the pro's do requires quite a bit of strength. But while the physical strength or stamina side of it is admittedly limited, I wouldn't say it's just a mental game – it's about physical skill primarily.

So are your other examples, of course, to some extent. Though the level of variation in the conditions the participants face in golf is vastly higher than in the others (possibly with snooker a slight exception). That's my issue with darts - there's real skill involved. But essentially its exactly the same thing done over and over again, with virtually no variation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the phrase? Drive for show, putt for dough.

How old were Nicklaus and Norman in the Open in the last few years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the phrase? Drive for show, putt for dough.
    Well, it helps if you can do both, really. ;)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RichN95 wrote: »
    McCoy won by miles. 42% of the vote. Taylor got 10%

Full votes:

1. Tony McCoy 293,152 (41.98%)
    2. Phil Taylor 72,095 (10.33)
    3. Jessica Ennis 62,953 (9.02)
    4. Lee Westwood 58,640 (8.4)
    5. Graeme McDowell 52,108 (7.46)
    6. Tom Daley 50,763 (7.27%)
    7. Mark Cavendish 44,170 (6.33)
    8. Amy Williams 43,056 (6.17)
    9. Graeme Swann 13,767 (1.97)
    10. David Haye 7,538 (1.08)

McCoy, by a good distance
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I will upset the darts fraternity but a joke that a fat darts player has beaten some of those below him.

None of the other 9 would be able to do a 9 dart finish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    Ian Holloway! He's amazing. Always hilarious. Hope he wins. Probably will be Monty though

Just how Monty and the team won that is beyond me .

They are the elite of European golf picked on merit bar 2 wildcards who the captain picks and the tournament is over 3 days

Holloway had nothing like the elite to choose from and little money to make a difference and had to coach against all the odds and his motivational skills far outway any other of the nominees for me.

Coach over a 3 day event v a coach for 9 months and against all the odds and bookies. Should have been a no contest really.

Anyway it would`ve been nice for Holloway to have won just to hear his acceptance speech. :)
  • Options
    RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    None of the other 9 would be able to do a 9 dart finish.

The other nine could all manage to play darts though. I'd like to see Phil Taylor try to get round Aintree, cycle up Alpe d'Huez or do the high jump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are the elite of European golf picked on merit bar 2 wildcards who the captain picks and the tournament is over 3 days

Holloway had nothing like the elite to choose from and little money to make a difference and had to coach against all the odds and his motivational skills far outway any other of the nominees for me.

Coach over a 3 day event v a coach for 9 months and against all the odds and bookies. Should have been a no contest really.

Anyway it would`ve been nice for Holloway to have won just to hear his acceptance speech. :)
    I think that's a little unfair on Monty. It's an incredibly intensive event, and the build up is crucial too.

But admittedly a lot of his award was probably for his general position as the greatest figure in Ryder Cup history. For which he probably deserves something, though you can maybe dispute whether this was the right trophy for him to win.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Is AP a Gooner then?

Yes he is one of those rarities; a famous person from Northern Ireland who DOESN'T support either Manchester United or Liverpool. The only others I can think of are ex-champion jump jockey Richard Dunwoody and Kate Hoey MP (both Arsenal fans) and actor/director Kenneth Branagh (Spurs, IIRC).
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other nine could all manage to play darts though. I'd like to see Phil Taylor try to get round Aintree, cycle up Alpe d'Huez or do the high jump.

But that's not his speciality. Darts is still a physical and mental skill.
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hahaha that would've been fab. He'd probably be casting aspersions on Sepp Blatter's parentage, Victoria Beckham's boob job and Jessica Ennis' biceps judging by the form he's been on this week.

He's always good for a quote
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Pleased for McCoy, no complaints with him winning it, also pleased Jessica got 3rd although I was hoping Graeme McDowell would have got 2nd if he wasn't to win it.
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Do you think the camrea were panned too much on people sitting down while the sports stars were getting interviewed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vellum wrote: »
    Horse racing exists to support the gambling industry, if gambling was banned horse racing would be no bigger in the UK than stock car racing, if that.

To me its an industry, not a sport, that he works in, yes his job may be hard and dangerous, but so is being in the Royal Engineers in Afghanistan, its not a sport.
    That's interesting. Sports are overwhelmingly amateur. Racing may be an exception because you couldn't afford it without money, and I read that money was in racing from the start. In that way (& perhaps like motor racing now that I think about it) it's a totally 'professional' sport. But I don't think horse racing supports the gambling industry any more than other sports.

Generally the thin layer of professionalism in sport is some kind of industry. Football is the most bet on sport in the world. It's also part of the television industry and drives the market in replica shirts and other merchandise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could all play football as well. And cricket and rugby. They could do one after the other and finish with a run and a swim and a high dive. Obviously they'd be rubbish :D. They'd also be rubbish at darts.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have no problem with the winners and delighted for Becks.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the lifetime achievement award - it came on the day when we saw a true sporting legend accomplish a truly great sporting achievement in scoring 50 test hundreds whilst playing under more pressure than any other sportsman in history. Incredible.

I didn't catch the whole show as I was watching the darts as well. Delighted for AP and the Power as I said on the other thread. Would have liked to have heard more about how Amy Williams copes in her event rather than some tenth-rate comedian but there you go - can't have it all.
  • Options
    Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    why would westwood get more votes than mcdowell? why would so many people who understand nothing about golf vote on golf?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Wow! Lance Armstrong does not get a mention???? Life time achievements! Services to cancer awareness as well.
  • Options
    RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Lance Armstrong does not get a mention???? Life time achievements! Services to cancer awareness as well.

Being under the subject of a federal investigation in doping doesn't really help his cause.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing golf isn't physically demanding..

Playing golf certainly is physically demanding. Not the same extent as any other sports, but it takes an enormous amount of power as well as skill. I think it was pretty poor neither of the golfers made the top 3, but i am guessing the golf vote was split.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    But that's not his speciality. Darts is still a physical and mental skill.

Darts is not a sport, it's a pastime.