Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    Well I woke up this morning hoping Hodgson would be gone, as people have said his comments regarding the fans has surely put the final nail in his coffin, its a fight he just won't win! Interesting to note that the press conference for the Bolton game has been postponed....there must be something taking place.....time will tell I suppose.

if Hodgson does leave one way or another, which I really hope he does! I personally would like to see Martin O'Neill take the job, I think he would be the ideal candidate. Seems to do a good job wherever he goes....he did a great job at Villa, I think he has excellent man management skills, I think he would get the side motivated before every game...every job ive seen him in hes been jumping up and down on the touchline, constantly shouting instructions and getting as involved as possible!

Be interesting to hear others peoples thoughts? Would O'Neill be a decent man for Liverpool?

I'd hope so too - seeing as me dad knows him :D
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed here.

I don't doubt his credentials, I'm just not sure he's the right person for the job, he wouldn't 'get' the club I don't think, he'd end up being another Hodgson..

May I just ask, do you think that at this moment in time, you are in the position to be so selective over managers?

I am not here to cause conflict, I am just here to try and clarify a few things, surley the only way I am guessing to "get the club" would be to have been an ex-player or part of the coaching staff, or have been familiar with the city, so if that is the case, that is really narrowing down the list of potential managers that could follow Roy.

I am just curious, as to how many people "get the club" and could could be potential managers of your club? :confused:
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Easy , Dalglish or Riijkaard.

Just gave you a minute to sweat on those two , as I know you don't rate either;):D
    Coyle looks to have great potential but do we take that risk. Or would he turn out to just be another flavour of the month appointment based on this season so far in the PL , as Roy was with Fulhams Europa run last year.
    Either Hiddink or Pellegrini for me , with Carra promoted to a coach with occassional playing role with a view to maybe taking over long term.

Hows about you get Wenger and we get Riijkaard !?

It would freshen things up snd we'd both be playing dream football ala Barca :)
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Easy , Dalglish or Riijkaard.

Just gave you a minute to sweat on those two , as I know you don't rate either;):D
    Coyle looks to have great potential but do we take that risk. Or would he turn out to just be another flavour of the month appointment based on this season so far in the PL , as Roy was with Fulhams Europa run last year.
    Either Hiddink or Pellegrini for me , with Carra promoted to a coach with occassional playing role with a view to maybe taking over long term.

Hows about you get Wenger and we get Riijkaard !?

It would freshen things up and we'd both be playing dream football ala Barca :)
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I just ask, do you think that at this moment in time, you are in the position to be so selective over managers?

If we were selective in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess..
    I am not here to cause conflict, I am just here to try and clarify a few things, surley the only way I am guessing to "get the club" would be to have been an ex-player or part of the coaching staff, or have been familiar with the city, so if that is the case, that is really narrowing down the list of potential managers that could follow Roy.

I am just curious, as to how many people "get the club" and could could be potential managers of your club? :confused:

To be honest, the likes of Laudrup and Pellegrini were interested in the job, I think they could come in and 'get' the club.

Look at Rafa, he eventually became to embody the club, and look how the majority of us feel about him.

The way O'Neil conducts himself just wouldn't fit. I didn't like the way he conducted himself during the whole Barry saga..
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MON has great motivation skills however the style of football isnt great. His transfer record at Villa is quite scratchy as well. An awful lot of money spent on players not worth what he spent on them.

I dont think we need to be looking at MON when are more than enough other options. I hope we dont see hear the 'Premiership experience' talk we heard when RH was up for the job. There seemed to be quite a few people who thought RH should get the job based on the fact he had managed on the EPL before. Well look how that turned out!!!
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    MON has great motivation skills however the style of football isnt great. His transfer record at Villa is quite scratchy as well. An awful lot of money spent on players not worth what he spent on them.

I dont think we need to be looking at MON when are more than enough other options. I hope we dont see hear the 'Premiership experience' talk we heard when RH was up for the job. There seemed to be quite a few people who thought RH should get the job based on the fact he had managed on the EPL before. Well look how that turned out!!!

Surely you would judge each manager on their individual merits? PL experience is helpful despite it not helping one particular manager (if Hodgson is sacked). It shouldn't be a deal breaker perhaps but it's certainly better to have than not?

You could equally say Christian Gross and Phil Scolari had no PL experience and look how that turned out!
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was under the impression that Roy got the job based on a one good EL run and being viewed as a respected, experienced manager, not because of any great achievements in football. Actually, none of that mattered. He was given the job because he was liked by the press and was a 'yes man' for the board who at the time needed shot of Rafa who was a liability as far as the sale of the club was concerned.

Managing in the PL is a good selling point, but not essentail in my view. I actually think NESV need a medium and long term strategy. They need someone who can pull this current team out of the current malaise and add to it sensibly to get us back towards the CL end of the table. Then, once we're re-established and once NESV have implemented their long-term financial plan (the stadium) and we are ready to compete financially at the top again, we can look for that killer manager who can bring us the success we dream of. If the two can come in a single package then brilliant, but I seriously doubt it.

For the first job I like the idea of Martin Jol. MON could do the same job I think but I personally don't like his attitude of the manager.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MON needs vast sums of cash to be effective and his teams still play bad football. I can't see NESV taking a punt on him.

Tis a bind, RH has to go but getting in an effective caretaker is very tricky.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Surely you would judge each manager on their individual merits? PL experience is helpful despite it not helping one particular manager (if Hodgson is sacked). It shouldn't be a deal breaker perhaps but it's certainly better to have than not?

You could equally say Christian Gross and Phil Scolari had no PL experience and look how that turned out!

Thats the point I was trying to make. It should be based on merits and whether somebody has shown any indicator that they are ready to take such a job.

My problem with the RH appointment was simply down to his 35 year old career not really having anything worth shouting about. It amazed me that a mid table finish with fulham, and a cup run suddenly made so many people think he was the right man for the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats the point I was trying to make. It should be based on merits and whether somebody has shown any indicator that they are ready to take such a job.

My problem with the RH appointment was simply down to his 35 year old career not really having anything worth shouting about. It amazed me that a mid table finish with fulham, and a cup run suddenly made so many people think he was the right man for the job.

I felt his ability to do well with international teams and the fact that he is held in such esteem with Inter Milan carried more weight than anything else. However taking Fulham from where they were when he took over to a europa final was a decent effort.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sell some big name players (yes, even those ones) and invest in men who actually want to go out and earn their wages.
    New owners - no improvement.
    New manager - no improvement.
    The only ones left are the players.
  • Options
    DerekMcVDerekMcV Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RH - Gillett and Hicks choice - says it all?

Stats
    As a result of our defeat to Wolves - who had not won at Anfield since 1984 - Liverpool have the worst points at this stage of the season since 1953-54 when Don Welsh's side were relegated. Hodgson has a worst win percentage record as a Liverpool manager (41.38%) than Graeme Souness (41.4%). Two former Liverpool managers who both want the job have higher win percentages: Rafa Benitez (55.43%) and Kenny Dalglish (60.91%). It's worth pointing out that Dalglish has a higher rate than Shankly, Fagan, Paisley, Evans, Houllier etc.

Source

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/201012303180/Liverpool-FC-News/duncan-oldham-even-tom-hicks-would-sack-roy-hodgson.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Sell some big name players (yes, even those ones) and invest in men who actually want to go out and earn their wages.

There's no denying that the players are woefully underplaying to a man, but a mass clear out? No.

The notion that Rafa left with us with this ghastly squad is laughable. Outside of the the current top few teams, our squad is arguably the strongest. It doesn't take a genius, regardless of what comes out in player statements that they're not happy with the current tactics and maybe even the manager.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    For the first job I like the idea of Martin Jol. .

I am on record as wanting to give Kenny the job but of the others mentioned this is one of the best suggestions imo as he is available, would prob want the job, knows the EPL and did OK in it and I think would make an attempt to connect with the fans. I know he has no LFC link but in time I think he would be OK - and I think the fans would accept him - honestly from what I read we are at the point where people almost have the attitude 'anybody but Roy' which is a bit sad and maybe even a bit unfair to Roy but that is the situation
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol and Comolli worked together at Tottenham. Jol was sacked after a poor start to the season, and then publicly blamed Comolli for it, so I think Jol is one name we can strike off the list straight away.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol and Comolli worked together at Tottenham. Jol was sacked after a poor start to the season, and then publicly blamed Comolli for it, so I think Jol is one name we can strike off the list straight away.

It would be a hurdle to get over for sure, but not insurmountable. It was a few years ago and Comolli was brought in over Jol's head at Spurs. At Liverpool it would be different. Jol would be going into the job knowing what Comolli was there to do and what his own role was. The issue would be if they really did have a 'bad' relationship but I would expect they could both be professional and get on with each other when needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    It would be a hurdle to get over for sure, but not insurmountable. It was a few years ago and Comolli was brought in over Jol's head at Spurs. At Liverpool it would be different. Jol would be going into the job knowing what Comolli was there to do and what his own role was. The issue would be if they really did have a 'bad' relationship but I would expect they could both be professional and get on with each other when needed.

Comolli is in charge of the process of finding a replacement for Hodgson. He is going to want to go for someone he is confident he can work with, not someone who has previously crticised him after they worked together.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Comolli is in charge of the process of finding a replacement for Hodgson. .

Is he? - I thought he was in charge of scouting players.

Your comments re Jol and Comolli are helpful tho - maybe Jol would not be as good as I first thought altho tbh as Assa said it depends on how bad their relationship was/is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he? - I thought he was in charge of scouting players.

Your comments re Jol and Comolli are helpful tho - maybe Jol would not be as good as I first thought altho tbh as Assa said it depends on how bad their relationship was/is

Obviously nothing official has been said on picking a new manager, because you don't make things like that official while you have someone in the role. However, it's pretty common knowledge that Hodgson was all but certain to be replaced before the start of next season, and I've read that Comolli is in charge of the process of finding his replacement. That could just be paper talk, but I'd expect that at the very least he'd be involved in the process.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hodgson needs to go.

The displays have been terrible and the players look low on confidence and tactics. Both things are down to the manager.

Who to get in to replace him is the big question.

Jol - would not work with Comolli again, so he is out.

MON - Knows the league and got Villa playing some decent football. Would also bring some of the youngsters through

Rijkard - no experience of English football and not sure if he would be up to the current task.

Steve McClaren - since leaving England has been a great club manager and got a very unfancied team to the champs league. Only downside is brolly gate

Rafa - No thanks, never go back.

Dalglish - same as above but with more than a 10 year abscence from management.

For me, its down to MON or McClaren. Either way I would be happy. (well happier than with Woy in charge)
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Liverpool have sense they'll steer clear of McClaren. He hasn't got much of a clue at Wolfsburg - no tactical consistency, no fluency in midfield, no respect from their best players - and all this after spending millions in the summer (or having Dieter Hoeness spend them), having one of the top five strikers in the world, one of the best playmakers around (at least when he plays in Germany) and most of the team, which Magath guided to the Bundesliga two years ago. He might turn it around with another spending splurge starting tomorrow but however well they do, I can't see them getting a Europa League spot, which should have been the bare minimum for a side who really should be in the top three/four. At Twente, everything rolled into place for him - it certainly aint rosy in the garden at Anfield!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SDM, have you seen what Mcclaren has done as a manager?!

Normal service has been resumed after a blip in holland. On the plus side you wouldn't have to pay compensation, in fact you might get a few quid for taking him!
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    SDM, have you seen what Mcclaren has done as a manager?!

Normal service has been resumed after a blip in holland. On the plus side you wouldn't have to pay compensation, in fact you might get a few quid for taking him!

Got a Middlesborough side to 3 cup finals, got them hight in the league, won the league in Holland and brought trough loads of good young players at Boro.

England was a poison chalice after Sven. He was too familiar with the players.

He is struggling in Germany, but so are a few others who have spent even more than Wolfsberg.
  • Options
    mattlewis86mattlewis86 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin O'Neill seems the obvious choice.

Will be interesting to see the reaction Hodgson gets at Anfield tomorrow, especially if by half time we are struggling and putting in a simliar performance to the Wolves game.
This discussion has been closed.