Anything in the house or you can buy to deter a house spider?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
Damn thing ran behind the washing machine before I had chance to get it, anything I can put down to keep it away?

I hate these swines, they don't just get on with their business like the orb spiders out in the garden, they like to run around like they own the place, they move with real purpose, and hilariously, seem to stop half way through their running like they plan who to terrify next.

And no bleedin hearts please, it's not like I'm trying to kill a baby panda.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you need a cat.
    I never seem to have a problem with house spiders
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a male - they tend to run around looking for a mate at this time of year. I think you just have to wait for it to re-appear and then put a glass over it, slip a card underneath and transfer outside.
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm petrified of spiders - I've even had hypnotherapy for it, it's taken the edge off and I no longer flap around and cry (yes, I know it's pathetic!) if there's a large one in the room. I can look at it quite rationally and go and fetch my husband to get rid of it but I bought this years ago:

http://www.primrose.co.uk/advanced-spider-repeller-whole-house-p-1277.html?cPath=24_147l&source=googleads&gclid=CMGdmNzp9bkCFVMQtAodxU8A7w

And I find it really does work - although I was warned by someone that when you plug them in, you may see more of them than usual over the first week as they come out of their hiding places to escape.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    you need a cat.

I agree ... we have a cat and anything that crawls or flies in our house is caught and scoffed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    I agree ... we have a cat and anything that crawls or flies in our house is caught and scoffed.
    usually with much gusto and purring.... although it funny when they sit tehir with the spider legs sticking out of their mouths :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Damn thing ran behind the washing machine before I had chance to get it, anything I can put down to keep it away?

I hate these swines, they don't just get on with their business like the orb spiders out in the garden, they like to run around like they own the place, they move with real purpose, and hilariously, seem to stop half way through their running like they plan who to terrify next.

And no bleedin hearts please, it's not like I'm trying to kill a baby panda.

Its only looking for a mate, let it be and it wont come any where near you unless you look like a female house spider then its gunna try and hump you senseless!;)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    usually with much gusto and purring.... although it funny when they sit tehir with the spider legs sticking out of their mouths :)

I can't get that image out of my head now. :(:eek::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to have a cat that ripped wings off butterflies and then sat back and watched....
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Not another spider thread. There should be a moratorium for 3 months or something. OP, there's a million threads already about getting rid of bloody spiders. Did you have to start a new one? Slopes off muttering darkly.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why get rid of spiders? Spiders eat plenty of nasty flies that come into houses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why get rid of spiders? Spiders eat plenty of nasty flies that come into houses.
    No problem.. cats take of those too. :D
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They only hide until you are asleep at which point they all come out. There are probably hundreds around your house that you are not aware of.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    We had a huge one run out from under the unit in the lounge last year. Daughter started screaming at which point it stopped, turned 90° and started running towards her! It was hilarious.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A staffie? My staffie used to eat spiders.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have a cat that ripped wings off butterflies and then sat back and watched....
    That should really turn them into butter! :D
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just give them my address ..... they'f eventually FIND THEIR WAY to me :D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried attaching a plastic owl to the roof of your house?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that a lot of people will dismiss this but from personal experience I find conkers deter most spiders. I place a couple on every window sill and by every doorway. I've not seen a really large spider in the three years I've been doing this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that a lot of people will dismiss this but from personal experience I find conkers deter most spiders. I place a couple on every window sill and by every doorway. I've not seen a really large spider in the three years I've been doing this.

I was going to suggest conkers, I've always found they work well.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    you need a cat.
    This. I've got two housecats and they attack anything that flies or crawls around, and they don't give up until they've got it. I had to put up with three hours of chittering once when they saw a spider and couldn't reach it. I like spiders though too, so I couldn't just knock him down so they could get him.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member

The really big ones tend to eat the smaller spiders. Fascinating creatures and won't harm anything apart from flies and other spiders.

I feel disappointed that none have visited my lounge this year yet. Though there was a huge one in the upstairs bathroom recently, dunno where it is now. :)
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I find it really does work - although I was warned by someone that when you plug them in, you may see more of them than usual over the first week

I was worried for a moment that the smell made you hallucinate! :p A friend of mine was so bad she couldn't even buy the repellent.......because it had a picture of a spider on the front of it! :eek: :D

Not a fan of the hairy look either, but do admire their incredible perseverance and strength... in the early morning mist recently, I noticed one had spun a thread all the way from the top of the satellite dish on the roof, down to the washing line. Must have taken him all night!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiders aren't very bright one made a web on the wing mirror of my car. As I drove off I could see it hanging on for grim death. I thought it had blown off during my journey but low and behold the next morning it had spun another web in exactly the same place.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiders aren't very bright one made a web on the wing mirror of my car. As I drove off I could see it hanging on for grim death. I thought it had blown off during my journey but low and behold the next morning it had spun another web in exactly the same place.

That always makes me chuckle :D
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    The really big ones tend to eat the smaller spiders. Fascinating creatures and won't harm anything apart from flies and other spiders.

I feel disappointed that none have visited my lounge this year yet. Though there was a huge one in the upstairs bathroom recently, dunno where it is now. :)

A spider bit me not long ago. It's happened a few times.
    I was toweling off and I felt a small prick on my buttock, I look down at the towel and it's a brown spider, thick legs, not that big. Bit me twice.
    Another time one bit me on my foot in the garden. The bites don't seem to swell up or anything it's just like a nettle sting.