Options

Linux Users general chat thread.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Is it libgcrypt11?

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/04/fix-missing-libgcrypt11-causing-spotify.html

Doesn't mention Steam specifically but it does say that several apps are affected

No but I have seen that problem too. For Steam it's a different folder. You're going to make me look aren't you? :D

Here you go. Basically remove:
    .local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
    .local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6

Was very easy to do.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must give it a go when I get home. Anything to avoid the proprietary drivers driving Compiz bananas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah let me know how it goes. I think it's still open on the Steam bug tracker so a fix might be coming anyway. I didn't realise but I hadn't actually updated the Steam client in ages so when I finally did it I was ages behind!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woo hoo. Steam is now open and installing Football Manager as we speak :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woo hoo. Steam is now open and installing Football Manager as we speak :D

Just a pity that when I try to load Football Manager it keeps crashing before the main menu screen >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a pity that when I try to load Football Manager it keeps crashing before the main menu screen >:(

Try running steam from a terminal, see what errors it gives you. My understanding is FM is a 32 bit game, so I imagine you'll will likely be missing 32 bit libs on your install. It's a pain, but hopefully this will improve as more people adopt the open drivers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up and bought some music from High Res Audio instead :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xubuntu devs don't seem to be satisfied with how lightweight the lightweight distro is

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/05/xubuntu-core-new-minimal-iso-download

Xubuntu core to be available from 15.10
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because most supposed lightweight OS prefer not to tell you anything whatsoever about typical Ram usage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell you what. Tails is gonna be an essential tool for people under this government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two more Ubuntu phones coming to Europe apparently. Another device from BQ and I bet the other is the Meizu.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft to add support for SSH to PowerShell

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/applications/microsoft-shows-linux-love-adding-support-ssh-powershell-3614183-3614183/

I use Putty myself but this is interesting news.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why Ubuntu has so many updates?

I don't know what 99% of them do so install them all at shutdown however I am concerned about disk space and performance. I am running Ubuntu 12.4.

I also have a Xubuntu laptop that has no room left so don't install updates and it still works fine.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Ubuntu has so many updates?

I don't know what 99% of them do so install them all at shutdown however I am concerned about disk space and performance. I am running Ubuntu 12.4.

I also have a Xubuntu laptop that has no room left so don't install updates and it still works fine.

I must admit the constant updates on Linux (especially Ubuntu based distros) can become annoying, but you should only need to restart the PC after a kernel update.
    And when Ubuntu moves to version 4 of the linux kernel, you shouldn't even need to restart for kernel updates.

As to the space issue, unfortunately Ubuntu leaves all the old kernels installed and taking up space (another bugbear of mine).
    You can manually delete them yourself though very easily, using synaptic package manager.

What I do is I leave the current kernel plus the immediately preceding one and regularly clear out the rest.
    It saves about 250 MB per kernel version, so if you clear out four old kernels, you save yourself 1 GB. :)

If you type uname -r into the terminal it'll tell you what kernel version you are running, then open up synaptic package manager (available from the Ubuntu Software Center) and search for "linux". Just scroll down and right click and mark for removal all the old kernel version files you don't want, then click the Apply button.
    For each version there are usually 4 files to find - 2 linux-headers files, a linux-image and a linux-image-extra file.

Someone else may have a prettier way of doing it, but that's the way I've always done it.
    If you regularly do that, you'll find that the core Linux OS plus apps very rarely gets above 10 GB, unless you install a lot of games or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose if you're concerned about space you could occasionally run
    sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get autoclean

and
    sudo apt-get clean

This will give you some of your space back. I can't say I've especially noticed any huge rise in updates with Ubuntu. I have a lot with Mint because I've added quite a few PPA's now, but my Ubuntu is pretty much as-is. I couldn't ever recommend not installing updates though personally, though the missus has a program where she just installs them once a week as opposed to her borderline OCD bloke. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Linux Mint 17.2 released. Upgrade how-to for existing users.

Upgrading myself now. I love how easy they make it to do. As easy as a service pack on Windows, if not easier. It's hard to be tempted away, as Mint has run so completely flawlessly for me for such a long time now. I keep eyeing up Ubuntu, but Mint works so well as a main OS.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    Microsoft to add support for SSH to PowerShell

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/applications/microsoft-shows-linux-love-adding-support-ssh-powershell-3614183-3614183/

I use Putty myself but this is interesting news.

That's great news. I manage a number of Windows networks in Kenya but I also have a whole bunch of Raspberry Pis acting as network monitors. Although I use Putty a lot as I have little choice from Windows, my development system of choice is a Mac as it is so easy to launch multiple SSH sessions simultaneously.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I run three distro's atm.

I have an old thinkpad running elementary Freya
    A dell latitude running Ubuntu Studio
    and a HP Probook running Mint.

not bad distros.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting changes due in the next release of Ubuntu Mate (15.10)
    One that's getting loads of attention is the decision to replace the dreaded Ubuntu software ctr, with one of there own.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-and-ubuntu-software-center/

Not a bad distro seeing as it was just something wimpy (Martin Wimpress) knocked up for his family not so long ago :o:D:)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Linux Mint 17.2 released. Upgrade how-to for existing users.

Upgrading myself now. I love how easy they make it to do. As easy as a service pack on Windows, if not easier. It's hard to be tempted away, as Mint has run so completely flawlessly for me for such a long time now. I keep eyeing up Ubuntu, but Mint works so well as a main OS.

I've been using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 and Linux Mint Mate 17.2 and they are both polished operating systems. I'd guess this past couple of weeks, I've been using 75% Linux and 25% Windows.

Either one is a worthy replacement for a Windows operating system and if someone's equipment is a few years old, I'd suggest going with the Mate version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 and Linux Mint Mate 17.2 and they are both polished operating systems. I'd guess this past couple of weeks, I've been using 75% Linux and 25% Windows.

Either one is a worthy replacement for a Windows operating system and if someone's equipment is a few years old, I'd suggest going with the Mate version.

Lovely. :) Been running great guns for me since upgrading. No real issues beyond a short period of my own faffing. I've added the Oibaf PPA which didn't get on with a certain kernel too well (I've also installed the Vivid kernel line rather than using Mint's default) causing it to hang at login, but it got updated quickly and no problems at all since. Really, these OS's are to me among the best there is. That said, I've also been playing with KDE Plasma 5 on an early alpha release of Kubuntu 15.10, and I am again massively convinced and tempted with Plasma 5. It's just such a well rounded and fully featured desktop. Only the sheer stability and trustworthiness of Mint is keeping me away at the moment. But nearer to release, I may be tempted to go Plasma!

EDIT: Current desktop, if the link works. :)
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely. :) Been running great guns for me since upgrading. No real issues beyond a short period of my own faffing. I've added the Oibaf PPA which didn't get on with a certain kernel too well (I've also installed the Vivid kernel line rather than using Mint's default) causing it to hang at login, but it got updated quickly and no problems at all since. Really, these OS's are to me among the best there is. That said, I've also been playing with KDE Plasma 5 on an early alpha release of Kubuntu 15.10, and I am again massively convinced and tempted with Plasma 5. It's just such a well rounded and fully featured desktop. Only the sheer stability and trustworthiness of Mint is keeping me away at the moment. But nearer to release, I may be tempted to go Plasma!

Oooh Nice
    https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/2wpTPTNQ.png
    I used to edit the look of the Mint menu icon as well, its always green :D
    Apart from that, it looks like osx.

Actually you've got me loading plank instead of the normal panels i use on my Ubuntu Mate install. I thought it was ok, until i installed Cairo dock :o wow how much has that come on, you can customise the hell out of it :cool: just Docky left to install, and then decide ready for final release of 15.10 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Oooh Nice
    https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/2wpTPTNQ.png
    I used to edit the look of the Mint menu icon as well, its always green :D
    Apart from that, it looks like osx.

Actually you've got me loading plank instead of the normal panels i use on my Ubuntu Mate install. I thought it was ok, until i installed Cairo dock :o wow how much has that come on, you can customise the hell out of it :cool: just Docky left to install, and then decide ready for final release of 15.10 :)

Never thought of changing the logo, but you're right. Maybe I could find something a bit more appropriate. :) Cairo Dock I swear by. Absolutely amazing piece of software.

It wasn't my intention to make it look like OSX at all, but I do like docks and I always find with Cairo that I don't have to mess about with it too much so it's pretty much default.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

...and here's my pic: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cgomr5&s=8#.VcaOTM054yo

While l like the Cinammon colour scheme better, I prefer Mint's customised Mate menu layout! I'm sure l'll be able to work something out.

Anything I can do in Windows, I can do in Linux now such as batch processing of photos (was Irfanview, now Shotwell). I'm fortunate that my printer's manufacturer (Epson) supports Linux so printing and scanning work well.

I hope that Win 7 is the last Redmond OS that I have any dealings with not least because there's a clear strategy change going on from large OS purchase price to less obvious (but still adds up) ongoing subscriptions and apps purchases. Not only that, a new Microsoft OS usually seems to require bigger and better equipment to run on and thankfully Linux distributions are far more forgiving.

As for KDE Plasma 5, I've seen the videos and it is indeed a visual delight. I've tried out some KDE-using distributions, such as Kubuntu, but they do tend to be a bit more resource intensive (although nothing like Vista!) and that does put me off a bit.