Options

Strong sisterly advice

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
My Sis called over yesterday as I was lending her some Christmas films and a VCR (Its A Wonderful Life and Muppet Christmas Carol). She speaks without hesitation or remorse (that is why she has done well for herself). She left me with this comment.

"Some make people happy when they come into the room and some make people happy when they leave the room - guess which one you are - and don't bother thinking of coming to my Christmas party because you are not invited".

Well, initially I was a bit hurt, but I realised that once again she was just talking clearly. It is nice to think that you are wanted as it were but why be false about it? I wish I could be as assertive...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting.... and was before or after you had lent her the bits and bobs?

She sounds like such a lovely person.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    She sounds like an absolute cow. Doesn't she think that phrase applies to her too
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get back those films if I was you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha! She is a tough one for sure. She is quite high up in personel. The remark was as she was leaving with the bits I lent her - she said 'thanks' for those - but I was thinking that by being quiet and what have you has not done me so well (money wise), but we are all different I suppose.
  • Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is just horrible!! Who in their right mind still owns a VCR???
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to be a berkshire hunt like your sister?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    bloody nora i bet everyone breathes a sigh of relief when she £"*ks off.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God made you sisters, time should make you friends. Why does she not like you? Sis & I didn't get on as kids. But we do now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's is what you call being assertive, than thank your self lucky your not!!

Assertiveness is not about hurting peoples feelings and being down right rude..it sounds to me like her analogy is about herself. I bet people cant wait to see the back of her.

If anyone, friend or family spoke to me like that they would have a size 6 up their backside and that's me being assertive lol.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henderson wrote: »
    That is just horrible!! Who in their right mind still owns a VCR???

I do.

Oh, you said right mind... :p

OP, life's too short; you're better off without her.

Merry Christmas. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, that is the way she is - tough. Nothing I have 'done'. She can hug you one moment or speak out the next. No-one is immune - she deals with everybody the same way.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Well, that is the way she is - tough. Nothing I have 'done'. She can hug you one moment or speak out the next. No-one is immune - she deals with everybody the same way.

*cough bipolar? *cough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow. Temprimental. And also sounds like she could have a form of Autism?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somehow though, her being this way has set her up with a nice home and a well paid job. I cannot imagine what her thoughts are but she does not hold back for sure. Anyone else have a similar Sister?

Last year I did go to her house for Christmas lunch and she turned the heating off to get rid of us ASAP. When she came down to my mine in the evening I had the fire on, carols playing and all the trimmings and lights on. Her comments - "turn this $hit off (the carols) and why have you bothered to decorate - not for me I hope". Saying that she did then enjoy the turkey and trimmings we prepared so not a total loss for her. Sisters:rolleyes:.
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, she's very lucky to have a sister as understanding as you. I don't imagine she's awash with friends,not with an attitude such as she has.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    she must be good value for piss taking though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goneril wrote: »
    OP, she's very lucky to have a sister as understanding as you. I don't imagine she's awash with friends,not with an attitude such as she has.

I'm a Brother - so that may be half the problem. She does not have many friends - they fall by the wayside - but she does well in work and is proud of her attitude. In her own words she won't take second best.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Brother - so that may be half the problem. She does not have many friends - they fall by the wayside - but she does well in work and is proud of her attitude. In her own words she won't take second best.

all that surface success is pretty meaningless when yer an arse tho'
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry soundbox[ I really must learn to check things first].Well she's very lucky to have a brother like you. You seem to have got the kind and generous nature...a shame it ran out before your sister got her share.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    all that surface success is pretty meaningless when yer an arse tho'

Right enough. Has she been on the Apprentice yet?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're kind of like the anti-rob

His sister seems perfectly pleasant yet to him she is the devil incarnate because she has a good job and makes a lot of money.

Your sister seems like a nasty cowbag yet to you its OK because she has a good job and makes loads of money :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sounds a right cow - just like my sister who kindly told me that she won't be spending Xmas with her family as she's too busy going round her friend's house with presents. Family eh, they always seem to show their true colours this time of year.
  • Options
    The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    Wow. Temprimental. And also sounds like she could have a form of Autism?

I have an autistic child and the honesty can sometimes be quite brutal. He asked me if I would take him to a restaurant for dinner as they had a dartboard and he wants to play. I asked him why he wanted to go to a restaurant as he has a dartboard in his bedroom. He said so I don't have to play with just you.

He doesn't mean it nastily, it's just honest.

Of course there's every chance the sister is just a bjtch.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, she's in need of some advice...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    I have an autistic child and the honesty can sometimes be quite brutal. He asked me if I would take him to a restaurant for dinner as they had a dartboard and he wants to play. I asked him why he wanted to go to a restaurant as he has a dartboard in his bedroom. He said so I don't have to play with just you.

He doesn't mean it nastily, it's just honest.

Of course there's every chance the sister is just a bjtch.

The jury is still out on if my 13 yr old has Aspergers & she can be brutally honest too, sometimes I have to tell her you dont come out with things like that & to keep her voice down! lol