Penny Dreadful

Comments

• Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Hey I'm thinking of watching this, am curious what can I compare this to? Are there any other programmes that it is similar to?
    I don't really think there are, no. It's a show of it's own this one.
  • JubadiJubadi Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked PD for the first few episodes but it lost it's way.

By the end Chandler was the only character I still liked.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching the whole series on demand.

Great show, and just like the literature of the era, it meanders all over the place and raises questions of morality ect., goes off on tangents and is sometimes difficult to follow.
    Re read the original Dracula, Dorien Grey, Frankenstien if you don't believe me. Lots of things leave you wondering "why on earth did they do that".

Perhaps that's the problem?
    Not linear or fast enough for this "everything handed to them on a plate" generation?

Eva Green was outstanding, the rest of the cast are performing well.
    Josh Hartnet is just what it says on the tin, the slightly out of his depth straightforward American, as somebody said earlier, a direct lift from Stoker's Dracula.
    But with the twist of him being a werewolf.

Not so anal as to obsess about a dodgy accent, in all honesty who cares?
    Though BP's 21c teeth were out of place.:D

Excellently creepy, gave us the shocks and thrills that should be expected from anything titled "Penny Dreadful" so that was true to the source material as well.

I think I get where the writer is coming from. The marriage of the considered "great" Gothic literature with the cheap and tacky mass consumed tabloid shocker.
    And it does illustrate that one could not have existed without the other.

And IMO, he's done it very well.:)
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I don't really think there are, no. It's a show of it's own this one.

You could argue nothing is like Penny Dreadful, and also everything is like Penny Dreadful from an amalgam of the last 200 years of horror film/TV and literature. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen territory, but done ballpark's of magnitude better in all respects. Perhaps a little of the blending of fact.fictiono of Warehouse 13.

Achingly different, stylish, well written and made with real panache - but also very familiar.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broadway Legend, Patti Lupone will guest star in season 2. She will play a mysterious person from Vanessa's past.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    That's some great casting.
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching the whole series on demand.

Great show, and just like the literature of the era, it meanders all over the place and raises questions of morality ect., goes off on tangents and is sometimes difficult to follow.
    Re read the original Dracula, Dorien Grey, Frankenstien if you don't believe me. Lots of things leave you wondering "why on earth did they do that".

Perhaps that's the problem?
    Not linear or fast enough for this "everything handed to them on a plate" generation?

Eva Green was outstanding, the rest of the cast are performing well.
    Josh Hartnet is just what it says on the tin, the slightly out of his depth straightforward American, as somebody said earlier, a direct lift from Stoker's Dracula.
    But with the twist of him being a werewolf.

Not so anal as to obsess about a dodgy accent, in all honesty who cares?
    Though BP's 21c teeth were out of place.:D

Excellently creepy, gave us the shocks and thrills that should be expected from anything titled "Penny Dreadful" so that was true to the source material as well.

I think I get where the writer is coming from. The marriage of the considered "great" Gothic literature with the cheap and tacky mass consumed tabloid shocker.
    And it does illustrate that one could not have existed without the other.

And IMO, he's done it very well.:)
    Fab post, that's all!
    It made me think how much I'd like to see Ripper Street come back. Is that bad??
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 2 started on Showtime last night in the US, and starts on Sky Atlantic on Tuesday in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still in two minds whether to give season 2 ago. Season 1 left me physically and mentally exhausted and by the finale, it all for nothing and was left feeling empty and hollow. One of the most difficult shows to follow I have ever seen.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually watched all of season 1 over the weekend(Virgin, so had to do it online;-)), also watched episode 1 of season 2.

Eva Green is fantastic as usual, Helen McCroy(sp), is also fantastic.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    I actually watched all of season 1 over the weekend(Virgin, so had to do it online;-)), also watched episode 1 of season 2.

Eva Green is fantastic as usual, Helen McCroy(sp), is also fantastic.

Just love this show, and Helen McCrory is vying for the acting honors with Eva this season.
    Forum Member
    Really brilliant opening episode. Can I just say the snowy backdrop just added to the gothic beauty of this episode overall?

Lucifer's still determined to make Vanessa his bride it seems. Like Madame Kali and her band of witches/devil worshippers a bit more than the vampires of sorts from last season.

Caliban seems like he's going to be in a bad situation with his new employment status as well though I did like his connection with Lavinia in this one.

Brona is going to do what exactly as a bride of Frankenstein this season. Is it too much to hope that her and Vanessa get more scenes together this season? Victor is gonna have some explaining to do.

This episode focused more on Ethan wanting to play protector than dealing with the fallout of his transformation but I guess we'll delve into that later.

Malcolm and Sembene didn't really do much here and no Dorian either. Still a great opening episode though, 8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Brona is going to do what exactly as a bride of Frankenstein this season. Is it too much to hope that her and Vanessa get more scenes together this season? Victor is gonna have some explaining to do.

I'm hoping that her resurrection will cause her to lose her Oirish accent...
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I've now watched the opening episode of season 2 for the third time and it really is taking Gothic Horror to a whole new stratosphere.

Visually stunning, superbly written and acted, darkly erotic and already some memorable/quotable lines.

Eva Green quite rightly has high praise lavished on her but for me the unsung hero is Rory Kinnear as The Creature, his scenes are truly angst ridden and captivating and I'm so looking forward to where his new employment at the Putneys waxworks will lead.

Superb stuff, glad to have it back!
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first episode of season 2 - I'd forgotten just how much I'd enjoyed this series. It's such an incredible show to look at, and the characters are all fascinating.

A really good opening setting things up.
    Matt D wrote: »
    I was thinking this throughout her scenes too. :D
  • StillTryingSE25StillTryingSE25 Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Got to say this sort of thing isn't normally what I would watch, but I saw the trailers and it had Josh Hartnett :blush: and Eva Green who I think is fab so gave it a go.
    Glad I did, it's such a great mix of characters plus all things supernatural that make you jump. The naked witches were weird, looks like it's coming to be another good season!

But please can Brona loose the accent, it kept making me laugh last season!
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene with Frankenstein fondling Billie Piper's dead corpse was a bit much. As others have said, hopefully her being undead will cause her to lose her voice.

Helen McCrory being featured more is a definite plus for this season. Nice that Ives/Green will have an equally powerful character/actress to play against this time around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brona is suppose to be from the North of Ireland/Belfast which is a very harsh accent spoken from the front of the mouth. It wasn't that good to be honest.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there going to be a 3rd series of this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on the ratings
    Forum Member

I hope so.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a UK or US paced thread? Sky Atlantic doesn't start showing season 2 until Tuesday but i see people are talking about Ep1 of season 2 already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it started as a UK based one, but since it came back up again moved it US. They show it on a Sunday night in the US and a Tuesday in the UK. I thought it started last week in the UK????

I watch online and managed to get the first episode season two last Sunday online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it started on Sky Atlantic earlier this week, on Tuesday (two days after the US).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

A ha! :D