Options

RIP Terry Pratchett

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Just breaking news on twitter. :( 66 is too young.

Comments

• Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Really sad news. He seemed like a lovely person and of course incredibly talented.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    This is very sad, normally I wouldn't be bothered if it was some other famous person, but this was a bloke who enriched the lives of millions through his discworld novels. I just hope his publisher and agent do him justice after his death.

Will be missed by many:cry:
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wikipedia needs correcting. Says he was 106
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    RIP Pterry.

Thanks for all the brilliant stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad, very talented man, and brave.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally just found out. I am gutted beyond words. The man was a kind genius. He was my favourite author.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Terry Pratchett. :(

Condolences to all family and friends.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sad!!! Loved his books.:cry:
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    A massive loss.

I guess we can think of it as he was leaving early to avoid the rush.

Rest in Peace... a fantasy legend, an all-time great, a light fantastic.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I literally just found out. I am gutted beyond words. The man was a kind genius. He was my favourite author.

Me too :( It's shocked and saddened me. He was the first author who got me lost in his books, as well as being a true gent. RIP Sir.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As if losing James Herbert a few years ago wasn't bad enough, now Terry's gone. The guy is pretty much irreplaceable. What a shit day!
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Terry. It was easy to forget he was ill. Haven't seen him on telly a lot lately but when you did, even when he was diagnosed with it, and from his interviews, you didn't realise he as as bad as he was.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite books of his was Good Omens, what a shame he has gone. Very Sad. :(
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    "What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man"

:(
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Just breaking news on twitter. :( 66 is too young.

It's very shocking.He was only recently diagnosed with alzheimers. I didn't think it would take him so quickly :( Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P Sir Terry
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    2FS wrote: »
    Really sad news. He seemed like a lovely person and of course incredibly talented.

Brought a tear to my eye when I read his last few words
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    As if losing James Herbert a few years ago wasn't bad enough, now Terry's gone. The guy is pretty much irreplaceable. What a shit day!
    Also Ian Banks too. RIP Terry.
  • Options
    K2kK2k Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Has there been any statement on what killed him? I don't really know much about Alzheimers but as far as I was aware he was still writing novels. It's a shock to see him go this soon.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like t imagine he's taen all his stuff in sapient pearwood luggage wherever he has gone
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    Sad news, obviously we all knew he was ill with his Alzheimer's disease, i didn't think he was at the end stages of the disease, he was a very talented man and like others have said 66 years of age is too young to die. RIP.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    :eek:
    How sad, a very talented man, RIP :(:cry:
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the very great pleasure of interviewing Sir Terry from under a table (I was meant to be a disembodied voice). He was a wonderful interviewee, a lovely man and wrote amazing books. He had an extraordinary spirit and he will be sorely missed.

His works will live on, he will be appreciated by many new readers and I am sorry that they will never have the opportunity to meet him and that there will be no more novels.

RIP, Terry. A light has gone out in the world with your loss.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very shocking.He was only recently diagnosed with alzheimers. I didn't think it would take him so quickly :( Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P Sir Terry
    I read on the BBC site that he was diagnosed in 2007!
    K2k wrote: »
    Has there been any statement on what killed him? I don't really know much about Alzheimers but as far as I was aware he was still writing novels. It's a shock to see him go this soon.
    He'd just finished the last Discworld novel, and was writing it using voice recognition software and dictating to his assistant.

I was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago when he did a book signing. He was supposed to be there 2 hours but it was more like 4 as he wanted to meet everyone who'd queued up to meet him and get the book signed.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sad news to come home to.:(

His writing had wit and wisdom in equal measure, and was full of love and understanding for all living creatures.
  • Options
    DiscoPantsDiscoPants Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Devastated about this, RIP Sir Terry :(:cry: