Options

Simon is right: Laura needs to sort out her image-she looks like a 40+ yr old

JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
Forum Member
Sorry Laura fans......but she looks older than I do and I'm 50.

Sure she's got a good voice, but her image is all over the place.

Even Rachel has managed to have an image every week.....whereas Laura looks the same and just relies on her voice.

I think the fact that she's in the same group as Diana, and looks about 30 years older, is something that she really needs to sort out.

Comments

• Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    JTW wrote: »

Even Rachel has managed to have an image every week.....whereas Laura looks the same and just relies on her voice.

I think the fact that she's in the same group as Diana, and looks about 30 years older, is something that she really needs to sort out.

Personally I have no problem with her image, but I think she needs to sort out her diction. I couldn't even make out what she was singing till halfway though the first verse - it's not that her words are hard to make out she doesn't even seem to sing half the words - just 'wah, wah, wah'. Incredibly irritating and ruins her songs for me ...
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't recall was it Laura he talked about in the auditions as loving her lack of image, or was it Diana?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon did hit the nail on the head. Laura's voice is faultless - but she doesn't look the part at all. Cheryl didn't seem like she was taking any advice at all tonight so I'm not hopeful of Laura having a complete change of image next week, sadly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    galena wrote: »
    Personally I have no problem with her image, but I think she needs to sort out her diction. I couldn't even make out what she was singing till halfway though the first verse - it's not that her words are hard to make out she doesn't even seem to sing half the words - just 'wah, wah, wah'. Incredibly irritating and ruins her songs for me ...

I couldn't agree more her diction is appalling especially last week when the only words that could be understood were "The child thats got his own", I don't care really how she looks but she sounds dreadful and I feel it's a case of Emperors new clothes with her fanbase sorry, She seems very sweet though so it's a shame
  • Options
    Forum Member
    galena wrote: »

Tonight's performance was definitely a big letdown on all levels.

I've been mighty impressed with her for the past few weeks...but sitll always thought that she was one of these ageless sort of girls. However, after Simon's comments tonight, I really did think for the first time that she looks very aged and dated.....the voice tonight didn't help.

Diana, who usually irritates the hell out of me, was refreshing and young and so much her age group and genre.
  • Options
    rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She looked better this week then last week ( where she looked just plain fat im sorry but she did )

She has a nice figure so she should dress to fit it not try to squeze herself into something that looked 2 sizes to small

I liked her outfit this week abit more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally thought his comment about dressing "quirky" was very telling. LOL Manufactured quirkiness is in i guess.

There is nothing wrong with the way Laura looks, being overweight hasnt harmed Adele's career, Amy Wino isnt known for her dress sense. Simon really needs to STFU alot of the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I think she just wears a bit too much make up. Other than that she's fine.
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    I couldn't agree more her diction is appalling especially last week when the only words that could be understood were "The child thats got his own", I don't care really how she looks but she sounds dreadful and I feel it's a case of Emperors new clothes with her fanbase sorry, She seems very sweet though so it's a shame

I agree that she seems a lovely girl - very sweet and unaffected - thnk this is swaying votes in her favour. Maybe she could be great one day but I think she seriously needs some vocal lessons first!
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Na, she is hot and looks great :D I don't care if she wears a bin-liner when she sings, the girl is amazing and has an amazing voice. I don't care about looks, she has talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura looked gorgeous and sounded wonderful. It was indeed her 'lack of image' that Simon liked to start with. She hasn't got the young, innocent thing going for her like Diana but that's not a bad thing. She's still very beautiful and very talented.

And she's not overweight, she's just curvy.
  • Options
    biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura is definitely not overweight, but I sort of see where Simon was coming from. Of all the girls left in, she looks the least likely to be a pop star. Although it is a singing competition, image still counts for a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    JTW wrote: »

I agree, she needs to lose some weight too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know you were 50, JTW :eek: :p
  • Options
    yocurioyocurio Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think she has an extremely good voice but still needs coaching - she can go far - and yes I dont know much about fashion but her clothes and makeup aren't doing it for me - in fact they are becoming a distraction.

Simon may not know much about his own fashion sense but he knows the music business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Yeh she needs to lose a couple of stones and have an eyelift
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlyly wrote: »
    Cheryl didn't seem like she was taking any advice at all tonight

She don't need no good advice...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Its cheryls fault or the producers! her normal style is young and fresh then they go and put her in boring black dresses! she needs to dress herself, ignore the stylists on the show.

He does have a point, but he could of been nicer about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree to a certain extent. The dresses she wears are very "Jane McDonald Cruise ship". Her normal clothes in the VTs suit her much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I thought she looked a lot better this week. Rachel on the other hand..
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    utoia2007 wrote: »
    Its cheryls fault or the producers! her normal style is young and fresh then they go and put her in boring black dresses! she needs to dress herself, ignore the stylists on the show.

He does have a point, but he could of been nicer about it.

Simon only makes constructive points like that when he actually rates the singer IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't know you were 50, JTW :eek: :p

Yep...but I'm told that I look 20 :o:D:p
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    his comments really pissed me off, infact i was furious. what was he trying to imply? i think she's a beautiful looking young woman. there was no need to say that, especially infont of the whole world.

also, someone in this thread mentioned that she's overweight. i'm sorry, she is NOT overweight, she is curvy and womanly and looks fantastic.

i am bloody sick of the world calling woman over a size 10 "fat" "chubby" and "overweight" she is not a model, she is a singer, it shouldn't matter if she is a size 8 or a size 28. i am just so sick of this all of the time. who gives a flying f*ck who weighs what? what does it matter? and for actresses/entertainers and singers to lose work because they are not deemed thin enough really makes my blood boil. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,285
    Forum Member
    Laura is a natural and does not need to change anything about herself. Simon needs to take notice of her singing abilities. Alex is great and I don't hear him commenting on her either, it's Diana all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura has the voice but her image is definitely not there yet IMHO. Something doesn't look right. The clothes she wears in her performances don't suit her shape. It's ok to be curvy but not everything suits you. She needs a good stylist. Cheryl needs to listen to advice and not be so offended she looked a little out of her depth today. She is too confident about ALL her artist getting to the final. I am not saying she shouldn't challenge the criticism but i thought she was going to start a fight.