Xbox vs PS2

dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
Forum Member
Im sure we ve had this discussed before but wondered what everyone thought of the games that appeared on both formats.

I know the PS2 came out first and the exclusive xbox games were mind blowing graphics like WWF RAW compared to Smackdown on the PS2.

But how was it in terms of multi games that appeared on both consoles kinda like GTA Vice City or Crash Bandicoot?

Ive heard people say games were better on the Xbox because them being released on PS2 first so they could upgrade everything to look better and feel more crisp.

Comments

• Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    It was a bit more powerful I think and the GTA games appeared later, the GTA Double Pack introduced GTA III & Vice City to Xbox in December 2003 ending the PS2 exclusivity for both games, though they were out on the PC. One advantage of GTA III & Vice City on Xbox was that you could play tracks ripped to your hard drive on the custom radio station, which you could do on the PC also. The PS3 later offered this, but hardly any games seemed to let you have custom soundtracks.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    The Xbox also had a slightly faster loading time, and a bit more draw distance and slightly enhanced graphical detail, but just think now you can get the games in full HD on PS4, and also the PC versions back then were also HD!

GTA San Andreas was a more stark comparison, it always seemed graphically very basic on PS2, the PC version on a top graphics card at the time was like night and day, it was of course 1920x1080 on that, now we've finally got that for a console. The Xbox was naturally a bit better for this game too. In a lot of games I didn't even notice too much, but it was a bit more noticeable with GTA San Andreas, the 720p PS3 version is just a poor ish port. On a lot of multiplatform games you possibly didn't notice a lot between the systems, Gamecube, PS2 & Xbox because they had to dumb them down to perform on the lowest capable system, so that would effectively mean everything had to be at the PS2's potential only, there were sometimes extras thrown in or timed exclusivity and that would change the games.
  • RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I left school and was well into my working life, This 6th generation was the first time I was ever able to buy all consoles of a generation/era. Not counting Sega Dreamcast.

The PS2 was the best of all 3 consoles, while each had better features than its rival. The PS2 was number one. Gamecube was number two while Xbox was way behind in third. I had so much hate to the console, the controller was and still is the worst design ever to be designed. It was the best for all that memory on the hard-drive and having your own music in games. graphically the gamecube was the best for gaming.... seeing the remake of Resident Evil was amazing. All while those consoles had their pluses, The PS2 was over the best even being released roughly 2 years before its rivals....And to me, the greatest console ever made, beating the PS1 by far.

Japan North America Europe Units Sold
    Dreamcast 1998 1999 1999 9,130,000
    PlayStation 2 2000 2000 2000 155,000,000
    GameCube 2001 2001 2002 21,740,000
    Xbox 2002 2001 2002 24,000,000

I decided to take a look at the statistics on wikipedia.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything looked better on an Xbox, i preferred to play my PS2 because there was so many games to choose from, but the Xbox looked a lot better. Playing a PS2 on a HD tv isn't a great experience either, everything looks really grainy. Even with the component cables for the PS2, it still looks pretty poor.