Options

Changing watch battery and watch strap - where do you go? Or do you DIY?

phasesphases Posts: 255
Forum Member
Looking to get my watch battery replaced and maybe also get the watch strap changed because it's starting to wear out. Where do you guys go to get them replaced and how much did it cost you? Do you change it yourself, in which case, is it easy to do and what kinda tools do I need to do this?

My watch was non-expensive (cost around £20), so I'm thinking is it worth paying to get the watch strap replaced when I could just buy myself a new watch with that money?

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    If the strap is attached using a standard spring bar then there are tools to help you remove and re-fix it but I have always found a small jeweller's screwdriver does just as well.

Mind if it is an expensive watch with a smart leather or metal / ceramic strap then I would get a reputable watch repair shop to do it for me to avoid the risk of marking it. I only do my cheaper sports watches with rubber / composite cases and straps.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Yes, I too also use a small watchmakers screwdriver to remove the strap.

As for changing the battery I buy a new one on Ebay and then (mis) use a miniature pair of long-nosed pliers to unscrew the back of the watch since I don't have the correct tool! Have had my current watch for over 30 years, never had a problem doing this.

Of course, not all watches are the same. Some have a back which you prise-off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The trickiest part of changing the battery is to take care removing and refitting the thin metal contact strap that sits across the back of the button battery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And if the watch has claims to be waterproof to any degree then removing the back to replace the battery will affect that, both the guarantee and the actuality. Is the there some kind of resin that can / should be used when replacing the back? I have never bothered myself.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Well, the guarantee on my watch ran out 29 years ago so that's not really a problem!

As for resealing, you may-well be able to buy a new seal for your watch on Ebay but, I must admit, I've never bothered. I have thought about resealing the back of the watch with a tiny amount of something like Red Hermetite but, the only thing is, if you ever did this I don't think you'd ever manage to get the back off again!

As I say, my watch still works 30 years on, probably longer, actually, and I've never taken any particular care about resealing the back after changing the battery. I haven't been swimming while wearing the watch but I never take it off when washing my hands, etc.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to our local independent jewellers they are always very helpful and rarely charge much more than the battery to fit it and the strap is fitted free.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    As for changing the battery I buy a new one on Ebay and then (mis) use a miniature pair of long-nosed pliers to unscrew the back of the watch since I don't have the correct tool! Have had my current watch for over 30 years, never had a problem doing this.
    I replaced the rechargeable battery in my Seiko kinetic - one of the fiddliest DIY jobs I've ever done, because a certain amount of watch disassembly and reassembly was required. I failed to remove the back using long-nosed pliers, or any of the improvised tools I tried, but a few quid got me a proper tool from eBay, which did the job very easily. I did still have to grind down one of my miniature screwdrivers, which wasn't quite tiny enough!

Since then, I've put together a small collection of watchmaker tools, including a back press (for the other type of case). Again, makes a job I've previously struggled with very easy.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our local market has a watch man doing this.

about £3 for a battery instead of £8.50 or so at a jewellers.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

As does ours in Enfield at the same price, think he does straps as well but I've never used him for that
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poundland sell a large card of batteries for watches.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's good price, I use the jewellers as I can walk up the road to them, whereas driving into town plus parking price adds a good £5 to the price.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    njp wrote: »
    Since then, I've put together a small collection of watchmaker tools, including a back press (for the other type of case). Again, makes a job I've previously struggled with very easy.
    This is what I have done and over the years they have paid for themselves many times over and I have become quite adept at repairing watches.

For a while, as a young lad, I lied about my age and blagged my way into a job via an agency with Dunhill so got to repair their lighters and watches, gave me a huge appreciation of time pieces and some lighters.

How did you make up your back press?
    I replaced the rechargeable battery in my Seiko kinetic - one of the fiddliest DIY jobs I've ever done, because a certain amount of watch disassembly and reassembly was required. I failed to remove the back using long-nosed pliers, or any of the improvised tools I tried, but a few quid got me a proper tool from eBay, which did the job very easily. I did still have to grind down one of my miniature screwdrivers, which wasn't quite tiny enough!
    My everyday watch is also a Seiko Kinetic, ( about 10 years old ) and recently had to replace the battery in it, fiddly doesn't come close, goodness!

I struggled to take the back off and that's with the correct tool and putting it in a vice, removing the battery was no walk in the park either.

But before hand I had purchased a new ring seal and the improved Seiko battery, the originals can burst nearing the end of their lives or left, as can some new generic brands, ( for those that have old Kinetics be wary of this ).

Used some watch silicone grease, haven't had the watch pressure tested but believe me it is sealed and waterproof.

Took me ages to get hold of decent quality spring bars, I'm heavy on this watch so had to replace them several times.
  • Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless the watch is special to you, I would consider buying a new watch (unless you have already brought the strap).
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Local market...a couple of quid for a new battery fitting...plus whatever the cost of the strap is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    How did you make up your back press?
    I toyed with making one, but in the end it was easier just to buy one off ebay. It comes with a load of plastic inserts to match different case sizes, and I've used it on my watches and those of friends.
    My everyday watch is also a Seiko Kinetic, ( about 10 years old ) and recently had to replace the battery in it, fiddly doesn't come close, goodness!

I struggled to take the back off and that's with the correct tool and putting it in a vice, removing the battery was no walk in the park either.

But before hand I had purchased a new ring seal and the improved Seiko battery, the originals can burst nearing the end of their lives or left, as can some new generic brands, ( for those that have old Kinetics be wary of this ).
    Sounds like the same kit of parts I bought. I did read scare stories about the old failed battery outgassing and depositing contaminants on the moving parts, so that (without complete disassembly and cleaning) the watch would be in permanent high power mode, but I decided it was worth the risk. I haven't properly tested the new battery capacity, but since I am never not wearing the watch for more than a few days, it's definitely working well enough for me!

Those tiny screws can jump like fleas, can't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I toyed with making one, but in the end it was easier just to buy one off ebay. It comes with a load of plastic inserts to match different case sizes, and I've used it on my watches and those of friends.
    Ok must look in to that, any of the snap off backs I've repaired I've been able to get the backs back on.

Perhaps you can provide a link for the press, what am I looking for?
    Sounds like the same kit of parts I bought. I did read scare stories about the old failed battery outgassing and depositing contaminants on the moving parts, so that (without complete disassembly and cleaning) the watch would be in permanent high power mode, but I decided it was worth the risk. I haven't properly tested the new battery capacity, but since I am never not wearing the watch for more than a few days, it's definitely working well enough for me!
    Those tiny screws can jump like fleas, can't they?
    Yes for the few quid extra, not worth the risk on cheaper parts.

It's not small watch screws that bother me, I have a large working light magnifier, makes thing like that easier, it was the damn back, boy did I struggle.

And like you I too rarely take my watch off. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phases wrote: »
    Looking to get my watch battery replaced and maybe also get the watch strap changed because it's starting to wear out. Where do you guys go to get them replaced and how much did it cost you? Do you change it yourself, in which case, is it easy to do and what kinda tools do I need to do this?

My watch was non-expensive (cost around £20), so I'm thinking is it worth paying to get the watch strap replaced when I could just buy myself a new watch with that money?
    I guess it depends if you are attached to your watch or not, if it is serving you well, repair it, you are not going to get much for £20 new anyway.

A strap and parts is going to cost you what--£15? DIY and not much more at a market stall, 10 minutes with them, new strap, decent brand battery, you are good to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends if you are attached to your watch or not, if it is serving you well, repair it, you are not going to get much for £20 new anyway.

A strap and parts is going to cost you what--£15? DIY and not much more at a market stall, 10 minutes with them, new strap, decent brand battery, you are good to go.

You can get it done with a new strap for a fiver on the market, it's how much it cost me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    You can get it done with a new strap for a fiver on the market, it's how much it cost me.
    What, a leather strap for a fiver, ( assuming ) and a battery?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, a leather strap for a fiver, ( assuming ) and a battery?

Yes. your not going to spend a lot or really care about the quality on £20 watch.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never done a strap but for batteries I always used to take mine to the jewellers where the watch came from and they used to charge about £10. The last time I took it the assistant couldn't get the back off and ended up saying to me "maybe you could try the bloke down the road", it turns out that a few metres down the road there's a little market stall that does them. He did it in a matter of seconds and charged me just £2.50. I've been to him ever since!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Yes. your not going to spend a lot or really care about the quality on £20 watch.
    I guess not. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok must look in to that, any of the snap off backs I've repaired I've been able to get the backs back on.
    Yes, I've managed in the past, but I bought the press when one back defeated my thumbs and my various attempts to improvise a tool that could apply the requisite amount of pressure to the back without crushing the glass front.
    Perhaps you can provide a link for the press, what am I looking for?
    I paid less than £8 including delivery. So it will have been something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13Pcs-Watch-Press-Set-Back-Case-Closer-Crystal-Glass-Fitting-Watch-Repair-Tool-/152146096716?hash=item236c9d324c:g:GKkAAOSwbYZXXYiG

Lots of people sell the same sort of thing, so I am not endorsing that particular seller (who probably wasn't the one I used!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks njp, I will grab one and adapt it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks njp, I will grab one and adapt it. :)
    Why would you need to adapt it? Aren't any of the 12 included dies the right size, or close enough?