Options

Why was the Xbox 360 worst console made?

dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
Forum Member
I dont mean in such of gaming because it had a awesome library but how it was built seems just poor.

Way back before its debut you had a ton of consoles SMS, Megadrive, NES, Super Nintendo, Playstation, PS2, 3DO, Sega CD, Xbox and I dont recall ever hearing in the news about any hardware problems.

Then you have the Xbox 360 upon its release news came out about hardware failing causing you to get the RROD (Red Rings of Death), obviously to do with something over heating. So they did this 3 year warranty on the console and released a more newer model to fix stuff like this but even so you heard about it still happening.

On the Sony side you had the PS3 and I didnt hear one bad thing about the hardware failing. So now we are on current generation with the Xbox One & PS4 and its been out for a couple of years and theres not really been anything in the news about any bad stuff.

So why was the Xbox 360 so poorly made?

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Design over engineering.

They decided what they wanted the console to look like first and THEN had to squeeze the componants inside. It simply got too hot in there and melted vulnerable parts of the machine.

They did fixes along the way, but it wasn't properly solved until the Xbox 360 S came along.

PS3 was far from perfect though. It had a similar issue, but nowhere near as widespread.

Older consoles were nowhere near as complex, generated far less heat and had fewer, if any, moving parts. That's why they were so much more reliable. The price of progress.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PS3 had the same issues, the 360 issue just gained more publicity due to the catchier name. Both suffered issues because of overheating where they had little space for cooling systems.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because they rushed it out to try and beat the PS3 release, I went through 4 360's because of the ring of death, but never had a problem with my 360 s.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft were in a rush to beat Sony and to abandon the expensive first Xbox 1.

360 wasn't the only console to suffer technical problems though, PS3 suffered with the similar but less popular YLOD fault which would have been seen as a big problem had it not been massively overshadowed by the 360 RROD problem.

Also PS1 suffered disc reading issues, I remember it been said people had to turn the console upside down to get around the issue.
  • Options
    RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xbox 360 may well have been a badly designed console, But visually its better looking than the Xbox... ignoring the posts, and replying to the title the Xbox is the worst console ever made. It was my biggest hate of the PS2/GC/Xbox era and such a massive ugly console I had to get it out the wardrobe to play it... there simply wasn't no room for it anywhere.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont mean in such of gaming because it had a awesome library but how it was built seems just poor.

Way back before its debut you had a ton of consoles SMS, Megadrive, NES, Super Nintendo, Playstation, PS2, 3DO, Sega CD, Xbox and I dont recall ever hearing in the news about any hardware problems.

Then you have the Xbox 360 upon its release news came out about hardware failing causing you to get the RROD (Red Rings of Death), obviously to do with something over heating. So they did this 3 year warranty on the console and released a more newer model to fix stuff like this but even so you heard about it still happening.

On the Sony side you had the PS3 and I didnt hear one bad thing about the hardware failing. So now we are on current generation with the Xbox One & PS4 and its been out for a couple of years and theres not really been anything in the news about any bad stuff.

So why was the Xbox 360 so poorly made?

The phat ps3s suffered from yellow light of death which is similar to the 360 red ring of death.
    Not sure if ps3 slim had same issue i never had any issues with both my ps3 slim and my xbox 360s.
  • Options
    normalmishanormalmisha Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What made it worse was that people have always tended to cram gaming consoles in to their 'entertainment centres'. With most of the previous gens it wasn't such an issue, but since the 360 we're talking quite meaty machines. You wouldn't buy a gaming PC and then chuck it between your Blu-Ray player and amp, but I'm sure people did that with their consoles. Indeed the older consoles were often not even stackable due to the cartridge/disc-loading design. That's my two pence!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Also PS1 suffered disc reading issues, I remember it been said people had to turn the console upside down to get around the issue.

I never had that issue and I was on my PS1 every day upon release up to after the PS2 had been out for 2 years. I still have the old PSX with the open top the big bulky one.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    It was definitely rushed out. Microsoft knew there was a problem but they also knew that by the time it manifested itself they would have sold millions of consoles.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was definitely rushed out. Microsoft knew there was a problem but they also knew that by the time it manifested itself they would have sold millions of consoles.

Sorry, but I can't believe they knew there was a problem when they released the system.

They launched in November 2005, but the problem didn't become apparent until August the next year. Even then, they didn't know what was causing machines to fail. It was May 2007 before they realised how widespread it was and they launched the warranty programme which would go on to cost them $1 billion.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow I guess you have high up connections within Microsoft, or just blatantly making up comments?

But once Microsoft discovered that this was a wide spread issue they upped the warranty to 3 years, from what I remember this more that Sony did.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mistakes from the past reflect on the future, hence the PS4 and X1, both reliable machines, within normal failure rates anyway.

It was costly for MS so I think all future hardware will be fairly sound, so good result in the end.
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The x360 was bad and I got the RROD three times. However it's wrong to say that old consoles didn't have issues such as Nintendo having a high failure rate with the graphics chip and wired in controllers with the Famicon on its Japanese release. Back in those days it could take years for Nintendo and Sega to release a console in the west we got the fixed versions with very low failure rates.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    The attached interview from last year covers the RROD if you watch from around 50:45.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUODlNffWmU
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    The PS3 had the same issues, the 360 issue just gained more publicity due to the catchier name. Both suffered issues because of overheating where they had little space for cooling systems.

The PS3 did indeed have the same issue, but let's not pretend that the 360 gained more publicity due to the problem having a catchy name. The failure rate of the 360's when they first came out was ridiculous, i don't know of one person that didn't have RROD with their first Xbox 360. They had over 50% failure rate by 2009, the PS3 failure rate was nowhere near that number.
    http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/7832ca91df1f088822d97cf0451b47d0-650-80.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but I can't believe they knew there was a problem when they released the system.

They launched in November 2005, but the problem didn't become apparent until August the next year. Even then, they didn't know what was causing machines to fail. It was May 2007 before they realised how widespread it was and they launched the warranty programme which would go on to cost them $1 billion.

That's what Microsoft want you to believe. I think they knew all along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »
    Wow I guess you have high up connections within Microsoft, or just blatantly making up comments?

But once Microsoft discovered that this was a wide spread issue they upped the warranty to 3 years, from what I remember this more that Sony did.

They should have replaced all of the Xbox consoles that had the fault, all the warranty did was mean you got a console for 3 years and ended up having to buy a new one. They weren't fit for purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They should have replaced all of the Xbox consoles that had the fault, all the warranty did was mean you got a console for 3 years and ended up having to buy a new one. They weren't fit for purpose.

Never mind people who had the large version. The slim one seems unappealing that you dont have a portable Hard Drive.

Is it true your saves are locked to that hard drive?

I remember reading ages ago about how you couldnt take your hard drive round a mates because the saves were tied to your console so if you tried it in another xbox it wouldnt let you use the saves?
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Lots of factors played a part in the reliability issues, what is overlooked though is the lead free solder that was used. It became brittle under heat and over time the gpu detached causeing the rrod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Lots of factors played a part in the reliability issues, what is overlooked though is the lead free solder that was used. It became brittle under heat and over time the gpu detached causeing the rrod.

Why did ones that were fixed then get the rrod again then?
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they still had to use lead free solder it was something to do with government guidelines to be less dangerous for the environment
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My take on it was that in the rush to be first to market for that gen MS cut corners in the manufacturing process, one of those economies being poor quality thermal paste used around the processors that literally couldn't stand the heat, it turned out to be a false economy though as the very high failure rate proved. I lost 2 360's to the dreaded RROD, and another one to a different fault. To be fair to MS though I got free replacements for all 3. I should also say that my "fat" launch PS3 also died about 4 years in and yet I've still got an original XBOX and PS2 that still work. I just hope this generation of consoles are more reliable, I don't want to tempt fate but no problems so far with my launch PS4 and year and a half old XB1.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    My take on it was that in the rush to be first to market for that gen MS cut corners in the manufacturing process, one of those economies being poor quality thermal paste used around the processors that literally couldn't stand the heat, it turned out to be a false economy though as the very high failure rate proved. I lost 2 360's to the dreaded RROD, and another one to a different fault. To be fair to MS though I got free replacements for all 3. I should also say that my "fat" launch PS3 also died about 4 years in and yet I've still got an original XBOX and PS2 that still work. I just hope this generation of consoles are more reliable, I don't want to tempt fate but no problems so far with my launch PS4 and year and a half old XB1.

I think this is the main reason MS made the Xbox One so large as they didn't want to take a chance on console cooling this time.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm lucky in that I didn't buy my xbox 360 until 2011, after they'd started releasing the newer editions of the console, had no problems at all in the five years I've had it, works perfectly.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the PS3 had problems, but I've still got my original fat PS3 in good working condition, but probably because I hardly used it.