Options

New tv

Hi All
Thoses of you who look at the other forums will have seen that i am having trouble with my Hitichi TV. So i have decided to get a new one.

We currently rent so any thoughts about wether we should bother to buy or continue renting would be good.

And also, what should we look out for. Should we go flat screen for instance.

Any advice from people who know about TV'S would be great.

I had a great response from Digital Spy "watchers". I think it's a great site.

Alex Golf

Comments

• Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    widescreen is a must for future proofing, but aside from that, the best advice i can give you is:
    whatever suits your eyes and your budget!
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget if you get a widescreen set you'll need some form of Digital Television(and have it set to 16:9 in the settings menu) to view in proper widescreen.
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As already mentioned Widescreen is a must these days. All digital TV formats (Terrestrial, Satellite, Cable) supports it , DVDs are all Widescreen even games consoles such as the X box for example have a widescreen option.

A side effect of having a widescreen TV though is that 4:3 material can look very small for example a 28" Widescreen set only offers approximately the 4:3 screen area of a 21" 4:3 set. Because of this i would choose the largest Widescreen set you can (depending on the size of your room too of course!)

In addition i would go for a flat screen set if you can. A flat screen won't necessarily give a better picture but can help to cut down on reflections which can be very annoying when trying to watch the TV on a bright sunny day.

The last recommendation i would make is don't miss a good deal through brand bias. That is don't assume the biggest name brands are the best. These days a lot of components are shared between manufacturers.
  • Options
    AbitAbit Posts: 3,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your budget is not an issue you might want to consider an HD model for the best future proofing. It's just a matter of time before HD becomes available int he UK.