Options

The Gambler

RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
Forum Member
I wasn't expecting Mark Wahlberg's character to be quite as self destructive as he was in this consequently I found this film to be quite uncomfortable to watch at times as he continued to go out of his way to make things worse for himself.

On the other hand it did make for a relatively compelling viewing experience but I did think it was a little bit frustrating that they never really gave us a genuinely good explanation for his consistent refusal to take any of the outs that were on offer.

I thought the supporting cast were all very decent (I particularly enjoyed John Goodman's performance as well his character's FU philosophy) and thought that the ending was both satisfying & quite uplifting.

Overall it's a very decent drama that did just enough to get an 8/10 from me...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    was not impressed with this , i am a flawed gambler myself and found this all too over the top with regards the gambling scenes , unless you have endless chunks of money the betting pattern of the character just would not happen , even someone addicted would just not lose in the way they did in this film . i actually watched the original film of this only a few weeks ago with james cahn , much more enjoyable and realistic . i am a big mark wahlberg fan as well so i am getting no enjoyment from giving it a negative review .
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night and enjoyed it, but I thought the ending let it down greatly. I liked the notion that Bennett seemingly didn't care if he lived or died, but it wasn't really properly explored.

The ending seemed far too neat and tidy for me and that let it down.

Fantastic soundtrack though.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked the original , can't see Wahlberg pulling it off tho , he always looks like half his brain is switched off .
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading some of the reviews of the original, a lot of people generally regard it as a much better film so i'll have to give it a look maybe.